Taco hoarding, champions

Options
Tryke
Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in Roster and Level Help
So I was considering saving 300 tokens (a long time, I know) so I could clear out a vault if needed. With championing making 2* covers not totally useless, should I just spend some?

On one hand, I would like to be able to get all the desired prizes in a vault some day. On the other hand, that's roughly 10 months of DDQ to do so. Apart from just plain patience, I'm also concerned that by the time I get 300 tacos, I'll have "outgrown" the prizes in the vault.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You'll get plenty of two-star covers from PvP drops. I have gotten about 20 covers for each two-star covers in just over a week, so I figure my two-star champions will be at level 144 at the end of the month at most.
  • if you have hoarded a lot of tokens, you need to wait for a vault with good items in it and then keep opening taco tokens until you are above average with your luck.
    Lets say you have 250 tokens, but on your 15th pull you already get a 4 star. Then stop pulling further from that vault because your odds are now lower than a clean vault. Just wait 4 days until it resets and then try again if it has good items in it.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I generally subscribe to the "use taco tokens when you need health packs and hoard them otherwise" philosophy. The odds of getting the specific reward you want are just too low, and piling them up for nearly a year just seems silly to me - the game might not even be around by the time you get 300 tokens.

All that aside, 2* covers are so common that blowing tokens to get them just seems like a waste. You'll get boatloads of them just from cashing in event tokens and playing PVP - if you waste tacos to get them you'll just end up selling them for ISO again a little sooner.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    Jarvind wrote:
    I generally subscribe to the "use taco tokens when you need health packs and hoard them otherwise" philosophy. The odds of getting the specific reward you want are just too low, and piling them up for nearly a year just seems silly to me - the game might not even be around by the time you get 300 tokens.

All that aside, 2* covers are so common that blowing tokens to get them just seems like a waste. You'll get boatloads of them just from cashing in event tokens and playing PVP - if you waste tacos to get them you'll just end up selling them for ISO again a little sooner.

I use the same approach. But I find I don't need health packs all that often, so they end up stockpiling.

187 in savory
    175 in sweet

in around 3 months, both of these should be approaching 300 each for me. Then I only plan on opening as many as needed to get the top prize(s), then stopping and stockpiling back up to 300 again. 2/3 stars will come around easy enough where they won't be driving my efforts, but more of a side affect benefit.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've started using tacos when I can use most of the 3* covers for championing. I decided that I prefer value of getting more iso now instead of the better chances of specific 4* characters down the road. Sure it would be nice to have saved 300 tokens and know for sure that I could get a needed JG cover (or something). But that's so far away that it seems silly to miss out on the current iso that lets me not sell extra 3* covers for a few extra champions.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I didn't mean I wanted 2* covers, more like they're not useless when I do pull them. I think I'm going to scrap the 300 token plan and spend some tokens on a vault with desirable 3*-4* covers. Thanks for all the tips.
  • I think it's only a matter of time before 5 stars are added to the vault. It will probably be months and months away from it happening, but as 5 stars start to become more common, they might try to increase their availability and ways to get them besides from legendary tokens. So I'm saving my tokens.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    halirin wrote:
    I've started using tacos when I can use most of the 3* covers for championing. I decided that I prefer value of getting more iso now instead of the better chances of specific 4* characters down the road. Sure it would be nice to have saved 300 tokens and know for sure that I could get a needed JG cover (or something). But that's so far away that it seems silly to miss out on the current iso that lets me not sell extra 3* covers for a few extra champions.
    I'm not missing out either, just getting them later. Which will also increase my odds for getting those specific 4* characters as well.

I understand that I might be at a different point in my play as other, but as a 3->4 star transitioner, it serves me better to wait. Its already increased its benefit for me with the introduction of champions by not opening them yet, cause now all those 2/3 stars I'm going to be getting are going to net me more than the 250/500 each I would of gotten had I cashed them in along the way.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Now that you can't use HP to buy covers, Tacos may be more valuable than ever. You can be darn sure I'm emptying my Tacos next time Cyc comes around, since RNG wants to make darn sure I don't pull him out of LT's! (0-80ish lately).

So if you are a hoarder, they are still really good. I have considered changing my hoarding tactics to what others do - pull when you have a chance at a 4* you need and need health packs.

Devs - is that really what Tacos should be? "Oh, I have a 1% chance to pull something really good from these ten tokens?" Make them worthwhile again, make these vaults sized 100.
  • Lightning_Man
    Lightning_Man Posts: 75 Match Maker
    Options
    I cashed in tokens this weekend. Took 115 to get the Legendary token, and 155 to get the red hulkbuster (which is the only thing I needed - 1st red!). I then stopped since I don't need the other 4 star (IW) in my vault. I also now have over 100 health packs! So take that as you might for statistics...
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    When GR DDQ4 rolled around I had a black cover in my DDQ vault that I needed to finish. I had been saving Sweet Tacos from Day 1 and I cashed in all 190 of them to get that GR cover (pulled the LT out as well).

I thought if that wasn't the right time to use them, then what ever would be? Luckily those 190 tokens didn't expire until after championing went live icon_e_smile.gif

Personally I don't think the increased value from 2* covers from championing changes the DDQ vault. If you are in it for the long haul (nearly a year to earn 300 tokens) then the 2*s didn't actually increase in value at all. Because you will have every 2* character that you care about championed to 144 before you collect all your tacos.
  • Tryke wrote:
    Apart from just plain patience, I'm also concerned that by the time I get 300 tacos, I'll have "outgrown" the prizes in the vault.
    I was in this exact spot about 2 months ago, planning to have enough to give me good odds of getting a targeted 4*, if not completely clear the vault. In the end, I decided to spend my tokens when there were good vaults with lots of desirable 3* covers for me.

I was mid 3* transition at the time, lots of 8-10 cover and few if any maxed. I figured that I could wait forever and by then I'd only need maybe 4 items, which would require all my tokens, or I could draw right away and benefit from having ~30 items in the vault that I'd really like. With 30 "desired" items and 30 tokens, there's a 96% chance of getting at least 1 of the 30 items, so I went for it and spent my ~150 tokens in each vault over the course of a month. I kept track of what I pulled and noted when the odds got worse than a fresh vault and stopped each spending spree at that point.

It _really_ helped get my 3*s going, and I'm very glad I went ahead and spent the tokens.

I was also fighting the **** 5* scaling in PvE and PvP due to rostering 2 of them at that time and I just couldn't hardly play, so that also influenced my decision to try and get some better 3*s to get me over the hump and able to play again.

(obviously, none of this had anything to do with championing 2*s, but I agree with others who have said that shouldn't really change anyone's planning)
  • Qwertylot
    Options
    I can't stand hoarding tokens. Having the little numbers in the corner irritates me. So, I use my taco tokens as I earn them.

I've had fairly decent luck with them. I've even pulled the legendary token a few of times (today being one of those times), as well as several four stars. I'd rather have the utility of HP/ISO/the occasionally useful cover now rather than wait until I had 300 tokens for guaranteed pulls.

Championing is a welcome bonus. If I were you, I'd probably wait and pick a vault I liked and then have fun pulling since 2* covers have utility again.
  • Just be aware as well that once you do hoard 300 tokens it will actually take ages to open them all and get tedious pretty quickly...
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Qwertylot wrote:
    I can't stand hoarding tokens. Having the little numbers in the corner irritates me. So, I use my taco tokens as I earn them.

Ditto. I have no idea how anybody can ignore that little number.