Broaden the Characters

Hi All!

Just had a quick question, and I do apologize if it has been said once (or many times) here before.

It is more of a gripe, however, than a question: With the wealth (and I mean wealth) of heroes in Marvel, why must we continually receive different versions of the same hero? Granted, I must point out that although the introduction of Eddie Brock, even though we already had a venom, made me ENORMOUSLY happy. The art for him, and the character himself was something I always wanted. But, in all honesty, do we really need 5 different versions of the same spiderman? The first three are literally identical, save for a move or two. Why not, if you must repeat him, give us ones that are quite different (both in look and ability wise). I mean, there are 32+ versions of spiderman out there, was there truly a need for three of the same?

I know this topic might put a few noses out of joint because I am sure a lot of people hope for alternate versions of their favorite characters. I am certainly happy they gave us Eddie Brock. But There are hundreds and hundreds of amazing heroes and villains in Marvel, and yet all I see is many different versions of a handful. Do we really need wolverine in the yellow, black, eye-patch, and old man suits? Or could we have Rouge, Nightcrawler, a version of Iceman that isn't from the 1930's, Sabertooth, Thanos, Blackbolt, Moon Knight (please, dear God), Namor, Doctor Strange, etc. There are simply too many to begin to list. So please, I appreciate the fact that you are giving people different versions of the heroes they love, but please broaden your character implementation because there are so many good ones that are being left out.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Firstly, the incarnation of Iceman we've got is from the 1960s (by way of 2013)... not the 1930s, at which point Marvel Comics did not exist.

Secondly, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are so many characters out there that we really don't need duplicates any more. I worry, though, that Demiurge's decision to only create 4* and 5* characters is going to unnecessarily limit the "stature" of new characters that we'll see in the game. While they may not be going by canonical power level when assigning characters to tiers, I think they might be affected by how popular they are - such that we'll probably never see anyone from (for example) the Thunderbolts unless they get either a new comic book that Marvel are keen to promote (a la Squirrel Girl), or a movie.

Yes, I'd love to see Songbird in-game. Please?
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Maraxus410 wrote:
    What are your thoughts?

My thought is, Clash of Champions can have a wide variety of heroes AND six different Spideys.

The 1* Spidey was a very good thing. There are a lot of useless 1* characters even at low level. Adding Miles and BiB hasn't done a thing for me. But they haven't done a thing to fix the 3* Classic.

Getting Red Hulk was neat. But Cho can sod off. Having been forced to use TAHulk as an essential, and having Hot Dog Stand prove utterly useless, I can objectively say the game would be better off without him (literally, the only thing worse would be a 4* Bag-Man). And I'm sure one of the 4*s in the near future will be Joe Fixit (yawn).

We're still waiting on Gambit, Spider-Woman, Shadowcat, Doc Strange, Winter Soldier, Moon Knight, Mr. Fantastic, Wasp, either Queen, most of the Inhumans, Sabertooth, Cable, Kang, Drax, Angel...I could name a dozen more.
  • CNash wrote:
    Firstly, the incarnation of Iceman we've got is from the 1960s (by way of 2013)... not the 1930s, at which point Marvel Comics did not exist.

Secondly, I agree with you wholeheartedly. There are so many characters out there that we really don't need duplicates any more. I worry, though, that Demiurge's decision to only create 4* and 5* characters is going to unnecessarily limit the "stature" of new characters that we'll see in the game. While they may not be going by canonical power level when assigning characters to tiers, I think they might be affected by how popular they are - such that we'll probably never see anyone from (for example) the Thunderbolts unless they get either a new comic book that Marvel are keen to promote (a la Squirrel Girl), or a movie.

Yes, I'd love to see Songbird in-game. Please?

I appreciate the response and the support. I know I am not alone in thinking this. Also, I am well aware that the incarnation of Iceman we currently have is not from the 1930's. I was simply being dramatic/a bit sarcastic, as he looks like a lean Frosty the Snowman. I believe I have that issue of him stored away somewhere haha.

And you make a good point in regards to the popularity and promotion. Makes me sad to think that such things govern who we see. How we ever got Squirrel Girl over someone like Thanos, or Songbird (as you mentioned), is pretty baffling. She is one of those heroes in which whenever I get a cover for her I burn it with fire...
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll take another Doctor Doom at 4* or 5*. . . . . This should have been expected from me.

Anyways, I don't mind the multiple characters but now with Championing, it kinda helps that you have an idea of where you are able to progress now if you're starting out. Sadly you don't know what rewards you get unless you come to the forums or already invested the ISO to get characters to 94/166. Miles and Eddie are a lot different than their counterparts and I like that. Same for Black Suit. What I don't care for is 2* Torch, 3* Thor, 3* Daken (pre-2* nerf) and 3* Cap being literal carbon copies of their other ranks. Those irritate me.

What I wish we had was that essentials didn't gate you based on rank, I should be able to use any Cap or any Storm if I want. Come on D3, we know it's possible, the game even bugged out once and allowed it.
  • I'll take another Doctor Doom at 4* or 5*. . . . . This should have been expected from me.

Anyways, I don't mind the multiple characters but now with Championing, it kinda helps that you have an idea of where you are able to progress now if you're starting out. Sadly you don't know what rewards you get unless you come to the forums or already invested the ISO to get characters to 94/166. Miles and Eddie are a lot different than their counterparts and I like that. Same for Black Suit. What I don't care for is 2* Torch, 3* Thor, 3* Daken (pre-2* nerf) and 3* Cap being literal carbon copies of their other ranks. Those irritate me.

What I wish we had was that essentials didn't gate you based on rank, I should be able to use any Cap or any Storm if I want. Come on D3, we know it's possible, the game even bugged out once and allowed it.

I do share your fondness for Dr. Doom, and I love that picture icon_e_wink.gif

I adore the fact that we can champion our favorite people, allowing us to play with them far past their level cap, bringing them into our three or even four star teams. However, this only serves to make the fact that we have multiple of the same people even more odd. Believe me, if I finally got Moon Knight I'd want him at every rank possible, so I guess, at times, depending on who it is, I am a bit of a hypocrite. If people truly want a version of Cap without a helmet, or Daken without a shirt, then maybe they should consider allowing people alternate looks for their heroes where able. And Miles and Eddie are a lot different, which is why I have zero problem with them (as I love Eddie, and the art for him). But if we must wait these long gaps between people, I'd rather get excited for the prospect of someone new and exciting, rather than more of the same. Unfortunately, no matter how fun a game is, it gets old very quick, and it's depressing to think the same thing should happen to this.
  • Maraxus410 wrote:
    What are your thoughts?

My thought is, Clash of Champions can have a wide variety of heroes AND six different Spideys.

The 1* Spidey was a very good thing. There are a lot of useless 1* characters even at low level. Adding Miles and BiB hasn't done a thing for me. But they haven't done a thing to fix the 3* Classic.

Getting Red Hulk was neat. But Cho can sod off. Having been forced to use TAHulk as an essential, and having Hot Dog Stand prove utterly useless, I can objectively say the game would be better off without him (literally, the only thing worse would be a 4* Bag-Man). And I'm sure one of the 4*s in the near future will be Joe Fixit (yawn).

We're still waiting on Gambit, Spider-Woman, Shadowcat, Doc Strange, Winter Soldier, Moon Knight, Mr. Fantastic, Wasp, either Queen, most of the Inhumans, Sabertooth, Cable, Kang, Drax, Angel...I could name a dozen more.

Your post made me chuckle, as I agree with so much of it. 1* spidey and 1* juggernaut (OUHH Ultimate Juggernaut...now I want him as a 3*+), were beyond useful (that spectacular strategy was fantasticly powerful). The Hulks are rather different, so I love red and green hulk, though TAHulk, although I think he's awesome, was phenomenally underwhelming. I don't like the idea of a kit that adds Blue tiles, only to have another ability benefit by the absence of them. There is no harmony nor sense to Cho. And if they felt the need to put eye patch wolverine (because there isn't enough of him out there already) over that awesome list of heroes and villains you provided, I would not doubt they'd find Joe Fixit necessary as well. There are honestly too many people I want, though I can safely say that none of them was Thor with sleeves or Cap with a helmet.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards

I had to double check the dates to make sure this wasn't a necro topic =P

I've got most of the characters I'd really want in the game already, so far. Rogue would be nice, sure. Only character I'd REALLY want right now is Singularity.
    rDd5gSo.png

Oh, and Spider Gwen. But I figure they'd round off the spider verse updates with her, saving the best for last, natch.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the wisest thing the admins of this board to do (relating to character releases) is to hold some sort of poll or open vote to see what sort of characters the players would like........

Back on topic instead of Black Suit Spidey I would have much preferred Spider Gwen but I do agree with the OP in that the depth of Marvel characters is being far underutilised. Take a look at Future Fight and Contest Of Champions to see what good character selection is like. Contest Of Champions has had Dr. Strange for months now and here we are scrabbling with 4 Wolverines, and 5 versions of Spiderman.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I think the wisest thing the admins of this board to do (relating to character releases) is to hold some sort of poll or open vote to see what sort of characters the players would like........

Back on topic instead of Black Suit Spidey I would have much preferred Spider Gwen but I do agree with the OP in that the depth of Marvel characters is being far underutilised. Take a look at Future Fight and Contest Of Champions to see what good character selection is like. Contest Of Champions has had Dr. Strange for months now and here we are scrabbling with 4 Wolverines, and 5 versions of Spiderman.

Check your in game pop up screen, character poll going on right now.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    So they can make an in game pop up for that but not for important purchasing methods? Absolutely incredulous.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    Anyone in my signature pic who isn't already in the game should be there.

And Dr. Strange, but I'm guessing we'll get him in November when the movie drops.
  • alaeth
    alaeth Posts: 446 Mover and Shaker
    Every time the poll comes up for new characters I vote the same:

Which character do you wish was in the game but isn't?
    Cable - with a new Cable & Deadpool based story arc a la comics

Which character do you wish was returning as a higher powered version of himself?
    Ares. Way under-valued as a 2*.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    My answers to that poll, on two devices:

Which Characters Do You Want:
    Dr Strange, Wasp, Absorbing Man

What variants of existing characters would you like to see in Marvel Pussle Quest:
    No More Variants

How likely are you to recommend MPQ to a friend:

Why did you rate a 7?
    Too Many Variants.

Honestly, I'd rather have a 2* Angar the Screamer or Grey Gargoyle than another variant at this point.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I wouldn't be surprised with a Cytorrak Colossus at 5*.

I'd be tickled with a 4* Doom.

I need spider-villains, but good ones. Frankly Rhino would be fun but we already have a 18K bruiser in Red Hulk. I think Kraven would be good, but we already have a sniper-shooting green user in GSBW, and a trap mechanic in X-23. So meh to both of them.

SANDMAN, though? 4* Harry and 5* Ultimate Norman Goblin, though? YES PLEASE. And it's freaking pitiful that we have a Kingpin PvE but no Phillip Urich Hobgoblin. He's a no-brainer.

Another iteration of Iceman would be nice, especially in the 3* usable range.

Finally, Sabertooth. Omega Red. 5* Kang. Cable. And all the x-men fawning that comes with people's absurd fandom of Gambit and (to a lesser extent) Rogue.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    ronin-san wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised with a Cytorrak Colossus at 5*.

I'd be tickled with a 4* Doom.

I need spider-villains, but good ones. Frankly Rhino would be fun but we already have a 18K bruiser in Red Hulk. I think Kraven would be good, but we already have a sniper-shooting green user in GSBW, and a trap mechanic in X-23. So meh to both of them.

SANDMAN, though? 4* Harry and 5* Ultimate Norman Goblin, though? YES PLEASE. And it's freaking pitiful that we have a Kingpin PvE but no Phillip Urich Hobgoblin. He's a no-brainer.

Another iteration of Iceman would be nice, especially in the 3* usable range.

Finally, Sabertooth. Omega Red. 5* Kang. Cable. And all the x-men fawning that comes with people's absurd fandom of Gambit and (to a lesser extent) Rogue.

They should just clone current powers, change the ap colours and reskin them.. Juggs to rhino, hawkeye or capt to gambit, cage to sabretooth, Hulk to Abomination, mags to electro etc... As examples of they can do.. Maybe just try it with one and see how it goes... Sorta like the thors, storms and capts...