5* Story Events

Options
fight4thedream
fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,938 Chairperson of the Boards
Originally from this thread: Suddenly i don't want 5* Spidey
Malcrof wrote:
And here we are , back where we started. 3*, too many being released, please stop, no roster spots, 3* transition will take way too long.. so 3*s have stopped... then came 4*, too many being released, please stop, no roster spots, 4* transition will take way too long.. now 4*s are raining from the sky.. It was only a matter of time before the 5* character base started to expand, and as with 3* and 4*, in a year or so, they will start coming more often.. just wait it out.

You know, I was actually wondering earlier today how the devs plan on releasing 5* characters into the wild. The most obvious route would be to have them initially be released as top rank rewards for PvP and PvE; however, particularly in the case of PvP, I only see this exacerbating the haves-have not divide especially now that we have the championing system. In other words, those that have benefited from fortune's grace will continue to reap rewards from it since they will probably already have their 5* fully maxed or close to maxed out while those who Fortune has not favored will continue to fall behind. Well, unless they have the will to grind PvE like never before.

No, as I see it, that would not be healthy for the game. Our current best bet would be the much requested league system that would divide Versus mode into Major and Minor leagues, with the Major league's events occasionally doing the Top 25 for 3 5* covers thing. Sure, the super elite and lucky will still make away like bandits but let's be honest here, there is very little hope of ever catching them. However, it will restore a sense of progression to the end game for those caught in the abyss of the current 4*-5* transition. The devs, can also of course, include a cover for season alliance awards instead of that pesky LT token.

Of course, I personally wish they would do something a bit cooler; forget all of this competitive nonsense. Give me an event that puts my puzzle skills and roster to the test. I mean we have Silver Surfer, OML, Phoenix and now Spider-Man Back in Black. What do these characters all share in common? (Yes, I am aware power level is not an answer to that question icon_razz.gif lol) Awesome storylines!

I mean the devs gave that black sheep Amadeus Cho a special event, why not roll out the red carpet for the Crème de la Crème? How cool would it be to have an Old Man Logan event where you start off with a loaner that has just yellow and have to go on a quest for the rest of his covers, fighting various reskins of goons, Daredevil, the Kingpin, and boss characters like the Red Skull and hill-billy Hulk and family?

Heck for Back in Black, you wouldn't even have to go to the trouble of making reskins lol By the end of the event your loaner will be fully covered and you will have a clear idea of what the character is capable of. No, you don't get to keep the loaner but you do win one cover for completing the event and special event tokens with a chance at more covers, ISO and what not. Make them hard, make people struggle to win but offer something besides the simple defeat opponent formula that is the paradigm of this game. Offer challenges like "survive 10 Moloid attacks to escape" or capture three dinosaurs by stunning them.

Offer a 5* Story event once a month for 10 days. With currently four 5* characters that means you a player will have a chance to nab three covers(or more) in a year. And please be sure to rotate the cover lol And obviously, not every event has to follow this structure. The Phoenix event could totally be something else but I think you get the gist of it...

...and yes, I know I am asking for too much again lol But a dude can dream, a dude can dream...Anyway back to the point, distributing 5* covers outside of token luck the classic way won't go so well with those who have not had the benefit of fortune's favor. Please find a new, cool, fun and challenging way for players to earn their covers and restore a sense of progression and reward to top end play. Thank you.

P.S. - Will tinker around more with this idea later as I have some more specifications but the hour is late and the sandman cometh.

Comments

• cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Two thumbs up!
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You could make a story event that would require every 4* to play. I would qualify!!! And I'm sure many others would as well!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Great suggestion! +100. i did want to add a couple of my own. Since pvp scoring has gotten a little crazy, maybe add them to progression, but at something like 2k+. I have seen 4* teams, and even once or twice a 3* team hit this mark. Usually this is with out of game communication, so it would not be a popular choice.. So maybe have it reward a 3rd type of token, 25% 5* 75% 4*?

Or, season progression around 15k? This way, earning 1 per season would not flood things too quickly!

As for a special PVE? We have a few that would work, final prize in Ultron, Final prize in Gauntlet (add a special node unlocked after the end, something unwhaleable, un-winfinitable)
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    So maybe have it reward a 3rd type of token, 25% 5* 75% 4*?
    24478036011_c4322f3009_b.jpg
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't upvote this simply because I don't want them to add yet another repetition-based, competitive PvE like the vast majority of 4* releases.
  • AlexxKats
    AlexxKats Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    I can't upvote this simply because I don't want them to add yet another repetition-based, competitive PvE like the vast majority of 4* releases.

Not Repetition. I believe he talks about playthrough story event. 1 reward per node for example, progression similar to either gauntlet or ant-man/cho's pve, each node allows for a leveled up by 1 cover and 15 levels use of (loaner only) 5*, end progression rewards a 5* specific cover.

The main part of his suggestion i guess though was adding more of the puzzle part in mpq, providing a predetermined board that needs specific moves to complete (both matches and powers fired), uch like the puzzle modes of the original puzzle quest games.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How about as the final reward in championing a 4*? lvl 370 gets you a 5*?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    How about as the final reward in championing a 4*? lvl 370 gets you a 5*?
    That's a really difficult goal for most players to get to, though. I think they could add more guaranteed 5*, but at the rate I'm leveling my three champion 4* characters, they'll hit 370 sometimes in 2017 at the earliest.