Suddenly i don't want 5* Spidey

BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
When 5* Spidey was introduced, and the Legendary tokens were split, i wasnt really bothered. At that point i didn't mind getting Black Spidey, especially with his super awesome in-game cover.

However...

Recently I've started using my 1/1/0 Phoenix and 1/0/1 OML in the game. Many thanks to 3* Steve and Iron Fist for that; their tokens got me Phoenix purple and OML red. And for me i feel that 5* start to be viable if you have at least two different covers for them.

Right now, my Surfer is at 0/0/1, which means i usually don't bother to use him. If i had his red or, preferably, his blue, he'd see more use.

As it stands, I'm hoping for the following 5* covers:

icon_jeangrey.pngredflag.png (so she can actually do some significant damage without needing to die)
icon_wolverine.pngyellowflag.png (for the healing, especially to combat Reluctant Hero's health loss, and to complete his covers)
icon_silversurfer.pngblueflag.png (widely acknowledged to be his best ability)

Given all that, aint nobody got time (and roster space) for Spidey. I'd rather get covers for the 5* i already have to increase their viability, than rostering a one-cover Black Spidey and seeing him rot in my roster until i can get a second different cover for him.

Anyone else feel similarly?

Comments

• puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    You might want to reconsider not using your SS. Even at one cover, especially blue, he's a good meat shield for trivial node grinding in pves. For a while I only had one blue cover, but he was still very useful in that regard.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    In the past 2 weeks, RNGesus has been kind to me. I've pulled 4 SS covers (1/1/2), 1 Phoenix cover (purple), and 1 OML cover (red). Now, I haven't added Phoenix or OML yet, but even then I can't imagine spending 25 cmd pts when 20 cmd pts would give me a better shot at making one of these characters usable. Not too mention 5* Spidey ain't looking so great.

I should probably start using my SS though. I think scaling is where it's going to be now.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generaly don't care much for 5*s anyway. There are plenty of 4*s I want to cover like Hulkbuster or X-23. 5*s are an "If I get one" thing, I don't get disappointed if I don't.

Heck, I have only found three 4* covers so far and they've all been SS. He's 1/1/1 now. Getting a Jean or Oldie would simply mean having to spend 1000 HP I'd rather save.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    And here we are , back where we started. 3*, too many being released, please stop, no roster spots, 3* transition will take way too long.. so 3*s have stopped... then came 4*, too many being released, please stop, no roster spots, 4* transition will take way too long.. now 4*s are raining from the sky.. It was only a matter of time before the 5* character base started to expand, and as with 3* and 4*, in a year or so, they will start coming more often.. just wait it out.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    And here we are , back where we started. 3*, too many being released, please stop, no roster spots, 3* transition will take way too long.. so 3*s have stopped... then came 4*, too many being released, please stop, no roster spots, 4* transition will take way too long.. now 4*s are raining from the sky.. It was only a matter of time before the 5* character base started to expand, and as with 3* and 4*, in a year or so, they will start coming more often.. just wait it out.

You know, I was actually wondering earlier today how the devs plan on releasing 5* characters into the wild. The most obvious route would be to have them initially be released as top rank rewards for PvP and PvE; however, particularly in the case of PvP, I only see this exacerbating the haves-have not divide especially now that we have the championing system. In other words, those that have benefited from fortune's grace will continue to reap rewards from it since they will probably already have their 5* fully maxed or close to maxed out while those who Fortune has not favored will continue to fall behind. Well, unless they have the will to grind PvE like never before.

No, as I see it, that would not be healthy for the game. Our current best bet would be the much requested league system that would divide Versus mode into Major and Minor leagues, with the Major league's events occasionally doing the Top 25 for 3 5* covers thing. Sure, the super elite and lucky will still make away like bandits but let's be honest here, there is very little hope of ever catching them. However, it will restore a sense of progression to the end game for those caught in the abyss of the current 4*-5* transition. The devs, can also of course, include a cover for season alliance awards instead of that pesky LT token.

Of course, I personally wish they would do something a bit cooler; forget all of this competitive nonsense. Give me an event that puts my puzzle skills and roster to the test. I mean we have Silver Surfer, OML, Phoenix and now Spider-Man Back in Black. What do these characters all share in common? (Yes, I am aware power level is not an answer to that question icon_razz.gif lol) Awesome storylines!

I mean the devs gave that black sheep Amadeus Cho a special event, why not roll out the red carpet for the Crème de la Crème? How cool would it be to have an Old Man Logan event where you start off with a loaner that has just yellow and have to go on a quest for the rest of his covers, fighting various reskins of goons, Daredevil, the Kingpin, and boss characters like the Red Skull and hill-billy Hulk and family?

Heck for Back in Black, you wouldn't even have to go to the trouble of making reskins lol By the end of the event your loaner will be fully covered and you will have a clear idea of what the character is capable of. No, you don't get to keep the loaner but you do win one cover for completing the event and special event tokens with a chance at more covers, ISO and what not. Make them hard, make people struggle to win but offer something besides the simple defeat opponent formula that is the paradigm of this game. Offer challenges like "survive 10 Moloid attacks to escape" or capture three dinosaurs by stunning them.

Offer a 5* Story event once a month for 10 days. With currently four 5* characters that means you a player will have a chance to nab three covers(or more) in a year. And please be sure to rotate the cover lol And obviously, not every event has to follow this structure. The Phoenix event could totally be something else but I think you get the gist of it...

...and yes, I know I am asking for too much again lol But a dude can dream, a dude can dream...Anyway back to the point, distributing 5* covers outside of token luck the classic way won't go so well with those who have not had the benefit of fortune's favor. Please find a new, cool, fun and challenging way for players to earn their covers and restore a sense of progression and reward to top end play. Thank you.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

You know, I was actually wondering earlier today how the devs plan on releasing 5* characters into the wild. The most obvious route would be to have them initially be released as top rank rewards for PvP and PvE; however, particularly in the case of PvP, I only see this exacerbating the haves-have not divide especially now that we have the championing system. In other words, those that have benefited from fortune's grace will continue to reap rewards from it since they will probably already have their 5* fully maxed or close to maxed out while those who Fortune has not favored will continue to fall behind. Well, unless they have the will to grind PvE like never before.

No, as I see it, that would not be healthy for the game. Our current best bet would be the much requested league system that would divide Versus mode into Major and Minor leagues, with the Major league's events occasionally doing the Top 25 for 3 5* covers thing. Sure, the super elite and lucky will still make away like bandits but let's be honest here, there is very little hope of ever catching them. However, it will restore a sense of progression to the end game for those caught in the abyss of the current 4*-5* transition. The devs, can also of course, include a cover for season alliance awards instead of that pesky LT token.

Of course, I personally wish they would do something a bit cooler; forget all of this competitive nonsense. Give me an event that puts my puzzle skills and roster to the test. I mean we have Silver Surfer, OML, Phoenix and now Spider-Man Back in Black. What do these characters all share in common? (Yes, I am aware power level is not an answer to that question icon_razz.gif lol) Awesome storylines!

I mean the devs gave that black sheep Amadeus Cho a special event, why not roll out the red carpet for the Crème de la Crème? How cool would it be to have an Old Man Logan event where you start off with a loaner that has just yellow and have to go on a quest for the rest of his covers, fighting various reskins of goons, Daredevil, the Kingpin, and boss characters like the Red Skull and hill-billy Hulk and family?

Heck for Back in Black, you wouldn't even have to go to the trouble of making reskins lol By the end of the event your loaner will be fully covered and you will have a clear idea of what the character is capable of. No, you don't get to keep the loaner but you do win one cover for completing the event and special event tokens with a chance at more covers, ISO and what not. Make them hard, make people struggle to win but offer something besides the simple defeat opponent formula that is the paradigm of this game. Offer challenges like "survive 10 Moloid attacks to escape" or capture three dinosaurs by stunning them.

Offer a 5* Story event once a month for 10 days. With currently four 5* characters that means you a player will have a chance to nab three covers(or more) in a year. And please be sure to rotate the cover lol And obviously, not every event has to follow this structure. The Phoenix event could totally be something else but I think you get the gist of it...

...and yes, I know I am asking for too much again lol But a dude can dream, a dude can dream...Anyway back to the point, distributing 5* covers outside of token luck the classic way won't go so well with those who have not had the benefit of fortune's favor. Please find a new, cool, fun and challenging way for players to earn their covers and restore a sense of progression and reward to top end play. Thank you.

This^^^^^ is a phenomenal idea!

Fight you should post this in suggestions
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

This^^^^^ is a phenomenal idea!

Fight you should post this in suggestions

Sweet Jehoshaphat! My post has actually nothing to do with the OP icon_redface.gif

Sorry about that BlackBolt!

I suppose I should mod myself...

If you wish to discuss fight's 5* story event ideas, please do so here. fight4thedream please keep posts on topic. Thank you.

As for the actual matter at hand, I totally understand your predicament BlackBolt. However, you are forgetting that you are at the mercy of RNGesus who enjoys nothing more than to feast on your tears. If you are pressed for roster space, your best bet is to either: 1. champion the wazoo out of lower tier characters to get HP, grind PvE for more HP, hit PvP for more HP or try your luck with DP tacos for, yup you guessed, it more HP or 2. Make a cut at the bottom of your roster.

Otherwise, you may just end up kicking yourself when you pull a streak of Spidey covers that would have had you at 1/2/2 while no luck with your other 5* characters. Just my spideycoin.pngspideycoin.pngicon_e_wink.gif
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haha no worries Fight, i enjoy reading your posts.

Well...it's not so much roster slots I'm worried about. If i do get a 5* Spidey, I'll do my best to roster him. What i intended to address was that, as i am right now, I'd rather get any of the other three 5* than Spidey, mainly because i want to increase their viability for play.

Let's say i get Spidey's blue power. So he's at 1/0/0. If i don't pair him up with IW, there's no way he's gonna get invisible. So I'll have to settle for what, 133 damage? For a 5*? Juggernaut does ten times more damage than him (not factoring match damage of course). I'd rather have one of those covers i mentioned in my OP; at least i can make better use of them, compared to a one-cover Spidey.

Although...i might be thinking too narrowly. I mean, let's say i get his green cover instead. With just that cover he's definitely a viable choice. And i would definitely love to have a 1/2/2 Spidey haha. I'm just looking at it from a realistic point of view: given the drop rates of 5*, unless they introduce a purely 5* token down the road (which will no doubt contain 6*), I'm much better off focussing on what i already have, than trying to be a jack of all trades. Look at my 4*: i almost never use my Cyclops (1/0/0), Red Hulk (1/0/0) or X-23 (0/2/0). I'm much better off getting covers for Jean, Hulkbuster, Thing or Kingpin to build them up
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:

The math on 4*s, for those who do not have a completed one, is really slow. I know it feels like they're raining from the sky, but that's only to people who are on the top floor.

As far as 5* spidey goes:

Every new 5* will make your odds worse of getting consistent covers (once classic tokens have 4+ 5* characters in them). Users who were able to cash in a significant amount of tokens and got lucky when there were only two 5*s had the best time. It's entirely reasonable that you don't want Spidey - his very existence signals an upcoming impediment to your progress.

Good luck!
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm very sympathetic to the OP and can say I'm in the same position myself. I'm at a much different stage in the game, which just ups the number of covers in question, but it also highlights why this is a problem. I've been playing close to 2 years, have several max covered 4* and despite only JG max leveled (and championed) would consider myself a 4* player. Thus, 2 covers in a 5* is not really useful to me unless I just don't need a 3rd char and want higher match damage. I would probably need at least 5 or 6 and likely more covers to even consider running that 5* over one of my "maxed" 4*. With that backdrop...my highest covered 5* is SS at 1/1/1. My OML is 0/1/0 and my phoenix has just a single green cover (sorry i forget which one that is). Having opened 90-100 LTs and only getting 5 covers is enough of a gut punch. Now I cannot even really earn chances at more covers for my most-covered 5*. Oh but wait, I can earn CP at a whopping rate of maybe 3 per day if I'm willing to grind out PvE and risk burnout on that front. Maybe I miss a few there, but that will be supplemented by PvP placements. So, 20 CP for the classic token every 1 week if I'm playing hard. At advertised rate of 10% (hahahahaha) that's one 5* every 10 weeks from CP, barely a blip on the radar.

Also to Malcrof...yeah maybe we've heard these concerns before, but that doesn't mean the criticisms aren't valid. Maybe it takes enough people to voice their displeasure before they decide to actually do something about it. It's not like they've fixed the 4* transition just by giving more covers to the people willing to trade their real lives for 4*covers in a game that is no more than a hobby. If you're not one of these people then you're at the slave of RNG to determine how your 4* transition will go, both in how long it will take and which characters you will obtain more of. Maybe more changes are coming, but the best way to make sure things get better is by voicing our unhappiness with how things are currently.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I feel pretty much the same as the OP. While I like the new spidey, I would rather get covers for the 5*s I have.

The roster spot doesn't matter to me since I have all this extra HP now that I can't use for covers. I would just rather have a couple more cover so the 5*s I have might be usable for something other than trivial nodes.

This problem isn't really new though. I remember going through the same thing when moving to 3*s and now into the 4* and 5* land.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I definitely feel the OP's pain, pulled my first 5* in over a month yesterday and as soon as I saw that shiny purple I just knew it was Spidey. My 1st thought, yay another wasted roster spot for who knows how long. I now own all 4 of the 5*'s with a total of 5 covers for them. At least with 4*'s I knew I could gain covers through PvP at some point, with 5*'s being completely luck based I have no grand delusions I'm going to win that lottery (especially when I'm at about 5/100ish). I really wish they would've implemented the 25CP at LT prize thresholds as has been suggested, since I'd much rather roll the dice on the 3 5*'s I already own instead of adding new ones.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Green wipes an entire 4-star team.