I liked 5*s better when...

Leugenesmiff
Leugenesmiff Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The 5* concept was kinda cool when it was Surfer and Phoenix and it represented these super-powerful, game changing characters. It was the first time a level of characters actually meshed with the comics. I wish they'd kept it that way. Now it's looking like they're just the next new highest level characters. I suppose it makes sense financially that they'd have to do this eventually, but to me it kind of ruins what 5*s used to represent. (Spider-Man becoming super-powerful just by putting on his black costume just makes no sense thematically.)

Comments

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I understand and actually agree with your sentiments, the developers have decided that the tier system represents rarity and is not reflective of comic lore power levels. Be that as it may, the tier system also determines HP levels, match damage and ability power levels and it's here where things get a bit counter-intuitive.

For example, if tiers were reflective of comic-verse power levels, Juggernaut would easily be 4* high mid-tier. On the other hand, Elektra would be a mid 2* at best. I'm sure there are a plethora of other examples *cough* Hulk, Thor son of Odin *cough* Pardon me.

But simply because of the blessing of her birth in a higher tier, Elektra has more health and does more damage than Juggernaut. But that is how the game has been designed, so we have little recourse when confronting such absuridities beyond the occasional gnashing of teeth and waving of fists in the air.

However, as leader of the Buff Spidey Brigade, I am obliged to inform you that there is actual thematic relevance to Spider-Man wearing the black suit. It supposed to reflect his "anything goes, no more rules" attitude. Meaning a Spider-Man not holding back. In terms of power, he seems tailored made to be an OML counter (although they really should have made his Shadow Acrobatics Black and his Taek-web-do Pink) which is thematically faithful to comic lore.

For those still drinking the Wolverine fruit punch:
    4327414-spiderman+vs+wolverine.jpg

Yes, in a perfect universe, the 5* tier would be reserved for cosmic level, world busting types (which luckily for us Spidey fans, there is a Captain Universe Spider-man lol), 4* tier would be for heavy hitter types and would have many more villains than heroes in it, 3* would be for special skills and aces and 2* would be for team support and 1* introductory character and low level but alas we were not born in such a universe. So we are just going to have to play with the cards we are dealt with, according to the house's rules.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we all join in?

I liked 5*'s better when...

... we were merely imagining that one day they might worm their way into the game...
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Can we all join in?

I liked 5*'s better when...

... we were merely imagining that one day they might worm their way into the game...

In spite of my own good luck with LTs, I fully support a move toward a system that rewards effort and time played over the current lottery system. I have already written here what I think the devs should have done when implementing the new tier, and I find the new token system to be simply atrocious. I have seen far too many good players walk away from the game simply because luck was not on their side, and I am afraid the longer the devs take to address the issue, the more vets will continue to say "No more."

There is no question in my mind that there were better ways to distribute 5* characters but unfortunately the damage is done and I can't currently think up a reasonable solution to the situation icon_e_confused.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have seen far too many good players walk away from the game simply because luck was not on their side, and I am afraid the longer the devs take to address the issue, the more vets will continue to say "No more."

Foil hat with a bucket on top theory: they periodically want to purge vets. The less fully maxed rosters in the game, the more the noobs feel like they can compete if they just chase that carrot a little harder and spend a little more instead of feeling like they're so far behind that the can never compete. Many vets don't need to spend money anymore because they can place high enough to be self sufficient for hp needs.

This is probably wrong, it just seems like they do something every 3-6 months that is so oblivious that it almost seems like they want them to leave.
  • Obviously nobody expected the devs to be fortune tellers and know how this game would evolve years later. We understand that. What we don't understand is why they felt the need to thematically ruin an entirely new tier. Starting from scratch they had absolutely no reason to do it at all yet alone so quickly.
    Adam Warlock, Beta Ray Bill, Black Bolt, Doctor Strange, Drax the Destroyer, Enchantress, Franklin Richards, Hercules, Nebula, Nova, Quasar, Venus.
    There's an entire years worth of characters that fit perfectly in the 5* tier I thought of off the top of my head.
    If they insist on re-hashing the most popular characters over and over again at least they could have waited awhile after they exhausted other options and then actually chosen the proper alternate versions.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    While I understand and actually agree with your sentiments, the developers have decided that the tier system represents rarity and is not reflective of comic lore power levels. Be that as it may, the tier system also determines HP levels, match damage and ability power levels and it's here where things get a bit counter-intuitive.

For example, if tiers were reflective of comic-verse power levels, Juggernaut would easily be 4* high mid-tier. On the other hand, Elektra would be a mid 2* at best. I'm sure there are a plethora of other examples *cough* Hulk, Thor son of Odin *cough* Pardon me.

But simply because of the blessing of her birth in a higher tier, Elektra has more health and does more damage than Juggernaut. But that is how the game has been designed, so we have little recourse when confronting such absuridities beyond the occasional gnashing of teeth and waving of fists in the air.

However, as leader of the Buff Spidey Brigade, I am obliged to inform you that there is actual thematic relevance to Spider-Man wearing the black suit. It supposed to reflect his "anything goes, no more rules" attitude. Meaning a Spider-Man not holding back. In terms of power, he seems tailored made to be an OML counter (although they really should have made his Shadow Acrobatics Black and his Taek-web-do Pink) which is thematically faithful to comic lore.

For those still drinking the Wolverine fruit punch:
    4327414-spiderman+vs+wolverine.jpg

Yes, in a perfect universe, the 5* tier would be reserved for cosmic level, world busting types (which luckily for us Spidey fans, there is a Captain Universe Spider-man lol), 4* tier would be for heavy hitter types and would have many more villains than heroes in it, 3* would be for special skills and aces and 2* would be for team support and 1* introductory character and low level but alas we were not born in such a universe. So we are just going to have to play with the cards we are dealt with, according to the house's rules.
    xfp65.jpg
  • Mikaveus
    Mikaveus Posts: 202
    Yes, in a perfect universe, the 5* tier would be reserved for cosmic level, world busting types (which luckily for us Spidey fans, there is a Captain Universe Spider-man lol)

Indeed. icon_mrgreen.gif

latest?cb=20091114054334