Curious about their earnings...

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Probably D3 doesn't want to divulge this information, but I'm curious if there are any public articles or interviews where D3 discusses in general how much they earn per player? I'm mostly curious to see what percentage the whales' payments really makes up, as well as how often people generally make additional purchases, when and why.

No exact figures needed, pretty much any vague information will satiate my curiosity.

Comments

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Why would they share this information?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    what I really want to see is numbers from before this latest change, and after. take the last non-sale, non-anniversary month and compare it to, say, Feb2016 and compare/contrast the breakdown of what was bought. also would love to see the splurge numbers during the week before the hp nerf hammer hit. would all be very interesting, but nobody's gonna divulge that, oh well.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    I think theirs been some business and finance articles that have been published in the past were some details were revealed... We can kinda-sorta extrapolate earning trends, and player habbits from them, but nothing truly substantial.

Those articles are all now probably over a year old, and would be even less relevant as a tool for us.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Think Gaming has them estimated at ~$34k a day in revenues. You can read about their methodology there

https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/ ... zle-quest/
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2016
    Old article Demiurge's initial goal for Average Revenue Per Daily Active User was a $1, am sure they make more than that now

As for the rest of their financial information, as far as I know Demiurge was a private company, so that information is not readily available.

Recently they were acquired by Sega Networks, so you may at some point get a general idea of their financial performance by browsing Sega's quarterly reports, but you'll probably have to wait until the end of 1Q2016
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    You're not going to get a whole lot of details, but when these things were hotter topics on the forums, the two main places that were referenced were ThinkGaming and AppAnnie.

Most everything is an estimate, but it'll probably give you a rough idea.

ThinkGaming: https://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/6200/marvel-puzzle-quest/
    Edit: woopie beat me to it!

Detailed information is behind a paywall, so you don't get a whole lot. But, for just the iPhone, it lists it at around $34.4K per day (doesn't count Android, or Steam, if anybody still plays on that anymore).

Here is the AppAnnie 'gross revenue' rankings for the past year (also, just iPhone). For top puzzle/role playing games, it's pretty consistent top 20, bunch of ups and downs for the 'overall'.

xlgkVnO.jpg?1
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Also, since I had to do a little searching to remember which websites we used to look at, I found:
    Nemek wrote:

The other one that I like to look at is thinkgaming: http://thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/4302/marvel-puzzle-quest-dark-reign/

It only looks at iOS and only the US market, so it's a little narrow. But, it also tries to give an estimate of daily revenue and daily users. (Just for US iPhone/iPad, the estimates are $16K/day and 55K daily users.)
    I think there's a lot more historical data if you have an account, though...? I don't really know how the site works.

This was taken on July 2014. The estimate now is over twice that.

Also another good reminder that it's USA-only numbers, as well.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    woopie wrote:
    Think Gaming has them estimated at ~$34k a day in revenues.

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ QUE QUE WHAT ??????????
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    Just to put things in perspective, $34k/day isn't that much for a software company, either. Their costs for the license, office space, etc. won't be cheap, the publisher takes a pretty sizeable chunk, etc. So don't take that number as "WE LIGHT OUR CIGARS WITH BENJAMINS YO!"
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Agreed. That number is gross. You take 30% off to pay each platform (apple, google, steam), and licensing fee probably takes another hefty chunk. I think the art work is from freelancers, but they need programmers in house. Plus overhead in the form of rent and cloud storage.

I'll be surprised if the profit margin is more than 10% of gross revenue. icon_e_confused.gif