edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
My 1/4/1 Silver Surfer = Basically useless

Anyone else's 1/1/1 OML = Horrifyingly effective

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards

Very wrong, i would kill lfor 4 red in SS... my 1/1/2 OML is a target, any SS over 2 red, pass.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

Very wrong, i would kill lfor 4 red in SS... my 1/1/2 OML is a target, any SS over 2 red, pass.

I agree here. My 1/2/0 OML is mostly worthless in PVP. Effective in PVE as a self-healing tank. But in PVP, he's a mid-tier 3* and I get attacked MORE with him in the lineup.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

Maybe there's a level where his Red becomes more worthwhile, but mine is at Lvl. 321 and only does 2611 damage which is far less effective than say HB red. All I know is that Between OML's staying power, strike tiles and match damage, I'm getting my **** handed to me.
  • Acratin
    Acratin Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Unless I see a 5* that's around L360 or above, I consider them a fairly easy target. The covers do make a difference, though I would say that once you get to 2/2/2 they can all be quite effective regardless. Below that, they simply don't match up to a 4* character with full covers.
  • I was only able to climb to around 800 or so with 2/1/1 OML and IF in the last event.

Compared to FistBuster that I can usually get over 1k without a shield. 360-390 is about the level range where I consider OML to be more than I want to deal with.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    My lv 345 oml does quite well at 3/1/2. It can pretty easily crush a 1/1/1 OML at lv 300.

Right now, my SS is 2/1/0, so I haven't bothered leveling it up. But once it gets a black or at least a few more reds and blues, I'll level it up.. hopefully to make a nice companion to my oml in pvp. It's funny though, it could be quite highly leveled, but if it doesn't have all three colors, it won't seem all that scary. We'll see.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    My lv 345 oml does quite well at 3/1/2. It can pretty easily crush a 1/1/1 OML at lv 300.

Right now, my SS is 2/1/0, so I haven't bothered leveling it up. But once it gets a black or at least a few more reds and blues, I'll level it up.. hopefully to make a nice companion to my oml in pvp. It's funny though, it could be quite highly leveled, but if it doesn't have all three colors, it won't seem all that scary. We'll see.

My 003 oml is nothing more than a digital paperweight
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Maybe there's a level where his Red becomes more worthwhile, but mine is at Lvl. 321 and only does 2611 damage which is far less effective than say HB red. All I know is that Between OML's staying power, strike tiles and match damage, I'm getting my **** handed to me.

My 5/2/2 SS is doing 3,796 damage per red blast at level 390. That's not great, but still 542 damage per AP at 7 AP, mostly used for clean-up at the end of a battle or to finish off an opponent who just got enough AP to use a skill. At 5/2/2, you really need someone who can usefully use all that red and black AP you are picking up.

It's the 10,087 health he restores with blue that makes him so evil. I can tank with him on three colors and TU all match (also tanks green in my current team, but only does 39 match damage compared to 369/328/287) (sometimes rolling in my OML who only tanks yellow) and then finish the match with full or near full health.

Then with my championed 4Pool as the third, I can switch him from 3/5/5 to 5/5/3 in order to prologue heal if he ever takes damage (tanks purple only).

My 1/1/1 OML doesn't do much except to take damage sometimes when he throws strike tiles out or when I want him to take the first big hit of the match (which he will heal quickly enough).

I think you need at least 3 blue covers on Surfer before he gets really useful. I didn't notice a big difference in healing from 4 to 5 covers at the level I was at, so I'd ideally go 4/5/4 or 3/5/5. That black hole is such a waste of AP until you get enough covers. Then it is awesome.
  • Elric_VIII
    Elric_VIII Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    mpqr7 wrote:

THAT NEVER DIES!
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Buret0 wrote:

My 5/2/2 SS is doing 3,796 damage per red blast at level 390. That's not great, but still 542 damage per AP at 7 AP, mostly used for clean-up at the end of a battle or to finish off an opponent who just got enough AP to use a skill. At 5/2/2, you really need someone who can usefully use all that red and black AP you are picking up.

It's the 10,087 health he restores with blue that makes him so evil. I can tank with him on three colors and TU all match (also tanks green in my current team, but only does 39 match damage compared to 369/328/287) (sometimes rolling in my OML who only tanks yellow) and then finish the match with full or near full health.

Then with my championed 4Pool as the third, I can switch him from 3/5/5 to 5/5/3 in order to prologue heal if he ever takes damage (tanks purple only).

My 1/1/1 OML doesn't do much except to take damage sometimes when he throws strike tiles out or when I want him to take the first big hit of the match (which he will heal quickly enough).

I think you need at least 3 blue covers on Surfer before he gets really useful. I didn't notice a big difference in healing from 4 to 5 covers at the level I was at, so I'd ideally go 4/5/4 or 3/5/5. That black hole is such a waste of AP until you get enough covers. Then it is awesome.

Yeah at 1 cover his blue is underwhelming (as 1 cover of anything will be), though his Blue match damage is becoming nothing to sneeze at. I'm wondering if rather than chasing red if I should be doing more to generate blue tiles for him to cascade. And I will say that I've been thoroughly enjoying eating Classic BW stings, 4hor Power Surges and even JG match 5 stuns and laughing them off.

I guess I was just frustrated. He's definitely not useless as (overblown) in my original post, just not yet the monster I want him to be.
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    I just thought I would impart a few words for people transitioning into oml territory:

1. Under 330, maxed 4*s are better imo. Oml takes time to get going and at 330 and lower he just too weak.

2. If you are missing one of the colors you are a target on defense. Without yellow, his red will drain his life away. Without black he can't change or drop heavy strike tiles and is really just a tank that sits there. Without red, he loses one of his nukes and free strike tiles.

3. Unlike 4*, the power really comes from leveling up your oml. Obviously you need covers to level up but that's where the power comes from.

4. At 345 he is probably slightly better than 4* but at 360 and higher he is massively the best character. 360 oml is better than a 405 surfer imo.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    And I just pulled my second SS Blue from an LT this morning, bringing him to 2/4/1.

I need SOOOOOOOO much ISO!
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    And I just pulled my second SS Blue from an LT this morning, bringing him to 2/4/1.

This is so my question as to where is everyone getting the ISO to level their 5* characters when I need over 200k to take my 4* from 200-270. Heck to take my 4* up 30 levels I need over 100k ISO. It is so bad I stopped opening LT because it doesn't matter who I get I don't have enough ISO to level them
  • Arimis_Thorn
    wymtime wrote:

This is so my question as to where is everyone getting the ISO to level their 5* characters when I need over 200k to take my 4* from 200-270. Heck to take my 4* up 30 levels I need over 100k ISO. It is so bad I stopped opening LT because it doesn't matter who I get I don't have enough ISO to level them

The standards, really. DPD, Lightning Rounds, PVP, PVE, selling covers I don't need. And also, neglecting leveling ANYONE else. The only other ISO I've been spending is to Champion 3*'s I already have at 166 and then only because it gets me an instant LT. I have Doom at 153 and recently sold 4 or 5 covers I had for him because I'd rather spend the 30K (or whatever it is) to take him to 166 on throwing levels at my SS. Having a scary 5* will (I hope) make things easier in PVP, allowing me to climb higher, make more ISO, etc.
    Basically I've been making enough to throw a few levels a day at him. Sometimes more.

It's a long game, and it's entirely possible that my ISO would be better spent on maxing out 3*s and going wider rather than specializing, but it's the path I'm trying. I know when I did this to level max my Hulkbuster when he was fully covered that it made a big difference for me.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    My SS was usable from 6 covers for climbing in PVP and PVE. OML is good for PVE at 3 covers.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor

What a waste of a license to kill....