Cannot quit out when stunned

Arimis_Thorn
Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
Currently if you are down to your last team member and they get stunned, you are unable to access the menu and cannot quit out. This is taking away player control and needs to be fixed.

Comments

• SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Not sure I'd call this a bug, just a slight quirk. I've only really found this to be an issue against AI teams that have Icemand and/or Scarlet Witch.

You can always exit the app and restart it, so you're not exactly powerless.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    This seems to be as a result of no longer being able to retreat when it is the AI's turn (which you used to be able to do).

I miss this. I don't care if it resulted in a defeat, I don't want to wait the 5-20 seconds for the AI to finish me off when the retreat button used to be available. Can we just get a concede button if retreating isn't an option on the AI's turn?
  • SirLanik
    Buret0 wrote:
    This seems to be as a result of no longer being able to retreat when it is the AI's turn (which you used to be able to do).

This assumption is incorrect, you can absolutely retreat on the AI turn, just not when all your characters are stunned.
  • Buret0
    SirLanik wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:

This assumption is incorrect, you can absolutely retreat on the AI turn, just not when all your characters are stunned.

I just tried it. On the latest iPhone version, you can no longer retreat on the AI's turn. You used to be able to do so, even if the enemy animations would get in the way of the button. Now, you cannot.

You can't even access the pause function while it is the enemy's turn on the latest iPhone version, so how would you retreat?
  • Close the App I guess... that counts as a retreat right? Or does that just make your remaining characters dead?

I had this today against Gorgan, a 6 turn stun which places the next countdown tile as it goes off, so essentially stunlocked while my maxed out Doc Doom at full health gets chipped to death.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Everyone so far has been mistaken. You can retreat while stunned, and you can retreat during the AI turn. What you can't download, however, is retreat while "doomed".

The AI sees everything that will happen in the duration of its move (not turn). If it will defeat you before you get control again, it knows that, and it plays it out. You can't surrender once the AI is in the middle of its winning move, even if that move involves stuns, multiple cascades, multiple powers, etc.
  • Interesting. Well in my example above it was about 12 more turns before he killed me, so Doom definitely wasn't doomed (hehe) for that move, but perhaps I still couldn't pause because the game would automatically know that I wasn't going to get another turn.
  • Buret0
    Arondite wrote:
    Everyone so far has been mistaken. You can retreat while stunned, and you can retreat during the AI turn. What you can't download, however, is retreat while "doomed".

The AI sees everything that will happen in the duration of its move (not turn). If it will defeat you before you get control again, it knows that, and it plays it out. You can't surrender once the AI is in the middle of its winning move, even if that move involves stuns, multiple cascades, multiple powers, etc.

Confirmed.

That must be a very recent undocumented change to fix the bug that showed 0 points lost when retreating while doomed. So the devs hate us so much that they make us watch our own deaths? :creepy:
  • SirLanik
    I just tested on an iphone 4s, iphone 5s, and iphone 6. I was able to retreat during the enemy turn on all three of them.

If you can't retreat during the enemy turn (and you're not stunned), then I genuinely don't know what you're encountering. I can absolutely access the pause menu during enemy turns.
  • Buret0
    SirLanik wrote:
    I just tested on an iphone 4s, iphone 5s, and iphone 6. I was able to retreat during the enemy turn on all three of them.

If you can't retreat during the enemy turn (and you're not stunned), then I genuinely don't know what you're encountering. I can absolutely access the pause menu during enemy turns.

You can't pause the game (to access options or retreat)if:
    (a) it is not your turn and the AI will kill you before you you would get your next chance to act; or
    (b) it is not your turn and the AI will die before you get your next chance to act.

This includes firing an ability. If you fire an ability that will kill the enemy, you cannot pause the game during that animation, even if that ability doesn't end your turn.
  • Tanarus
    Tanarus Posts: 30
    I noticed this same behavior. Android, Nexus 5, if it matters.

Pressing the Android back button or the in-game pause button does nothing during the enemy's turn. However, I can force the Options/Retreat menu to come up if I press the App Switcher button, then choose Puzzle Quest. It's a bit of a workaround, but still...
  • frostCoH
    frostCoH Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Buret0 wrote:

I miss this. I don't care if it resulted in a defeat, I don't want to wait the 5-20 seconds for the AI to finish me off when the retreat button used to be available. Can we just get a concede button if retreating isn't an option on the AI's turn?

I had to sit and watch Loki do his shuffle, and Magnetaneto due his blue MURDERSHUFFLE 2 times for Magentaneto and 3 times for Loki, while I was already dead. I could not use the pause button to escape it was frustrating, I screamed so loud in rage my dogs are terrified of me now and my spouse isn't speaking to me.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Switching out and back into the game also triggers "pause menu".

People unable to open it may try that method too.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Andriod home button, then return, brings up the retreat popup.

Sucks to have S.Witch punish you for 5-10 turns.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That happened to me this morning. SW killed two of my players and stunned the last one for 5 turns. I was ready to retreat and give up, but the game forced me to sit there and wait for my opponents to lay into me, stun me again and so forth for a few minutes, until finally my third character finished dying. I didn't mind losing, but sitting there was driving me nuts. I would have been even angrier if it had been during a high point shield hop, where every second matters.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    SirLanik wrote:

You can't pause the game (to access options or retreat)if:
    (a) it is not your turn and the AI will kill you before you you would get your next chance to act; or
    (b) it is not your turn and the AI will die before you get your next chance to act.

This includes firing an ability. If you fire an ability that will kill the enemy, you cannot pause the game during that animation, even if that ability doesn't end your turn.

That would be because the game precalculates everything the moment you make a move (including any and all cascades, afaict) and all the animations are just fancy-pants effects work poured out on top with no actual further relevance.

Same with the token vaults. (Come on? You really thought you could time your clicks or taps?)