[Today] still last day to buy covers with hp./?

Pinko_McFly
Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Phrasing as both a statement and a question because I really thought we'd get a courtesy announcement in-game or at least on here from the mods.
Any changes or is this still the plan?

Mod Edit: Changed thread title to "today"

Comments

• David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    That is still the plan. The changeover to Command Points is due to go live on Wednesday.

There was a message in-game when Champions went live that included a link directing players to the FAQ & news articles which talked about the changes.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Davey, you know people are gonna eat y'all alive for only doing a mere LINK to a major / game changing currency update...............
  • Pinko_McFly
    I just re-read the FAQ and there is no mention of this change in your original post.
    I read the articles that first showed up and I don't recall it being mentioned there either. Obviously I am aware of it, but I am sure many are not.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    I was on the fence about buying my 4th JG purple cover before the deadline, but pulled the trigger on it and am very glad I did.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Still figuring out what to do myself. Leaning towards 2 hb redflag.png to put me at 4. And 2 jean purpleflag.png to put me at 3.
    My iceman and red hulk could use help, and I'm worried the meta might change soon on the 4*s ( which I did get from one of the articles)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]That is still the plan. The changeover to Command Points is due to go live on Wednesday.

There was a message in-game when Champions went live that included a link directing players to the FAQ & news articles which talked about the changes.
    Link, what link. When players see a pop up we are trained to hit the giant X and move on to our game. We figure everything else out when the game does not work the way we intend it to. We then blame the devs because we hit the X on the pop up.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Still figuring out what to do myself. Leaning towards 2 hb redflag.png to put me at 4. And 2 jean purpleflag.png to put me at 3.
    My iceman and red hulk could use help, and I'm worried the meta might change soon on the 4*s ( which I did get from one of the articles)

I was sitting at 3 JG purpleflag.png for a while. The 4th is a huge difference The only other 4* cover I ever bought was HB redflag.png to take me from 3 to 4. The difference honestly was not much. The big jump comes from 4 to 5.

Just my opinion, and I'm not a PVP wiz or anything, but I'd personally go with 4 JG purpleflag.png and stick to 3 HB redflag.png. I'd recommend getting other opinions though.
  • jigawatt
    jigawatt Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Losing the ability to buy covers with HP should have *nothing* to do with championing a character, and the vast majority of the playerbase isn't clicking that link a 2nd time, if it was updated. This issue was surely NOT in the link when it went live in-game, as another person stated. Most casual fans of the game are about to get blindsided by this, and it's not cool
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    You have an opportunity to stave off a large misstep, which means you will most likely ignore it.

Probably because it somehow earns you more money.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Sadly I think D3 loses money short term by restricting cover purchases, but they stretch out everyone's 3*/4* transition so it's better for them in the long term (keeps more players engaged longer).

That said, I think A LOT of people are going to be surprised by this when they go to buy that random cover they need starting on Wednesday.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the only thing you can buy now is roster slots and random tokens, be prepared to see "accessories" for sale! That's right, soon you'll be able to buy Wolverine a cigar or his signature brown coat, or Cyclops' Ruby red glasses. Each accessory you purchase permanently adds strength to your skill power. This will make up the difference for the lessen skill power from Championing.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Since the only thing you can buy now is roster slots and random tokens, be prepared to see "accessories" for sale! That's right, soon you'll be able to buy Wolverine a cigar or his signature brown coat, or Cyclops' Ruby red glasses. Each accessory you purchase permanently adds strength to your skill power. This will make up the difference for the lessen skill power from Championing.
    If it includes a new face for iceman and a fanny pack to cover cyclops, I'm all in
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Need some advice. Have enough spare HP to buy 2 covers. Thinking of adding to either JG 5/4/2 at Level 190, Iceman 4/4/2 at Level 120, or Rulk 2/3/2 at Level 140. Note that I have only 10k ISO, so I won't be maxing any of them anytime soon.

Leaning towards 2 green JG covers or the last blue and green for Ice. I do currently use JG in PVP, but unsure if the jump from 2 to 4 green is a big deterrent. The jump in Ice's blue and green skills for the 5th cover is pretty nice and he's probably usable around level 200, which wouldn't take too long to save ISO for once I finish dumping it into Daken to max and champ him (12 of his covers in my Q).

Or I can just be patient and figure that by the time I have the hundreds of thousands of ISO needed to max those characters, I will have accumulated more than enough covers w/o spending HP today.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    LordXberk wrote:
    Need some advice. Have enough spare HP to buy 2 covers. Thinking of adding to either JG 5/4/2 at Level 190, Iceman 4/4/2 at Level 120, or Rulk 2/3/2 at Level 140. Note that I have only 10k ISO, so I won't be maxing any of them anytime soon.

Leaning towards 2 green JG covers or the last blue and green for Ice. I do currently use JG in PVP, but unsure if the jump from 2 to 4 green is a big deterrent. The jump in Ice's blue and green skills for the 5th cover is pretty nice and he's probably usable around level 200, which wouldn't take too long to save ISO for once I finish dumping it into Daken to max and champ him (12 of his covers in my Q).

Or I can just be patient and figure that by the time I have the hundreds of thousands of ISO needed to max those characters, I will have accumulated more than enough covers w/o spending HP today.

I probably go with Iceman just because you're at least maxing his two primary skills. 5/4/4 Jean is obviously good but I ran 5/2/4 for a while in PvE, the 5th green makes a massive difference in her speed. Not that a ~1600ish AoE with 4 specials is weak, but the 5th is almost double that.

In general, it's almost always better to buy the 5th than the 4th, because the jump is usually massive on a 4*.