How to allocate ISO in championing 3*s?

Cousin Simpson
Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
My situation: I have a billion 2* Storm covers now, while my Mohawk is only level 44. I'll need roughly another 30K ISO to 166 Mohawk, but I figure that I'm better off using the ISO to champion my many 166s (and getting a bunch of LTs) than to bring a single 3* to 166 (and ~eventually~ getting three 4hor covers).

Some roster context: I'm transitioning to 4* land, and my 4hor is still very undercovered (2/3/2).

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    My situation: I have a billion 2* Storm covers now, while my Mohawk is only level 44. I'll need roughly another 30K ISO to 166 Mohawk, but I figure that I'm better off using the ISO to champion my many 166s (and getting a bunch of LTs) than to bring a single 3* to 166 (and ~eventually~ getting three 4hor covers).

Some roster context: I'm transitioning to 4* land, and my 4hor is still very undercovered (2/3/2).
    If it were a top-tier 3*, it might be worth it, but I can't see shoveling all that ISO into her when you've got others at lv166 all ready to go.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    You're going to need a heck of a lot more than 30k to go from 44 to 166.

Edit: just realized you probably meant 30k more than you currently have, not 30k total.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    You make your initial ISO investment back with 2*s after about 15 covers. If you have that many 2* covers for a single character it's almost a no-brainer to champion them.
  • simonsez wrote:

If it were a top-tier 3*, it might be worth it, but I can't see shoveling all that ISO into her when you've got others at lv166 all ready to go.
    Exactly this. There is a reason why Mohawk is only level 44 and so many others are at 166. Sell the Mohawk covers for 500 ISO each and don't think twice about it.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    In the same boat as you. I had a few 2* Storm covers saved, then I realized that it would be a waste of the 3* Storm covers if I started championing the 2*.
    I am personally only go to focus on my 2*s that I have a Championed 3* for (Thor, Magneto) and worry about the others when the time comes (3* at 166).
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Champion all your maxed users! Then go back to leveling up all your other users. Then champion them! And so forth!

I'm going to sell non-champ covers to hoard all my ISO, and then when I have a character who's ready to go all the way and has extra covers waiting, I'll champion that character. Unless I get a new SS or OML cover, in which case I'll level those up and go back to the original plan of championing my 2*s - 4*s.

Then no cover will be useless! (Except for all 1* covers... If only I could sell them with one touch instead of 5+ touches each.. my rsi hands would appreciate it!)
  • DrLemniscate
    DrLemniscate Posts: 55 Match Maker
    The ISO rewards from 2* and 3* champions are built such that you perfectly break even on ISO. Initial promoting cost, plus the opportunity cost of using the 50 or 100 covers.

So instead, focus on all the non ISO rewards. If you don't have a 2* near 94, it probably won't be worth it, since you have to spend a ton more iso to start the process.

3* are generally worth it, because you get an LT very early on, decent rewards, and 4* covers to help develop your roster even further.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say that any 2 star you have maxed would be a good investment to champion as those covers will continue to come from just playing the game and more frequently. They will help build your 3 stars and as someone else said, any cover past 15 is a total profit. As for 3 stars, I would champion any at 166 in order of which you gain covers. Some a bit earlier if they have multiple viable builds between PvP and PvE.
  • I'm treating 3*s mostly like 2*s: if they are maxed or I would have maxed them anyway, I champion them ASAP. If I wasn't going to max them anyway, I'm not going to spend 97K ISO to buy 1 random 4* cover (via the 1st LT). I've got too many other things to do with my ISO. (I park all my 'neglected' 3*s at 120 so I can still use them for fun when boosted, thus 97K for 120->166)

There are a couple of 3*s that I was on the fence about maxing, and this will probably tip things so that I do max them, but QS and many others can kiss my grits.
  • FokaiHI
    FokaiHI Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    I decided to champion my maxed characters with extra covers. My characters that only need iso will have to wait. I got rid 4 covers for Loki being that I need 80,000 million iso to max him. I need 80,000 to max G Rider and have 2 covers. I am going with G Rider due to having less time before I lose the covers.
  • Cousin Simpson
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Then no cover will be useless! (Except for all 1* covers... If only I could sell them with one touch instead of 5+ touches each.. my rsi hands would appreciate it!)

You, me, and probably every other MPQ player. Hey, I smell class-action lawsuit... icon_twisted.gif
  • Pinko_McFly
    Absolutely champ any 2* that is already maxed.

I had a pile of covers ready to go, and was able to champ 4 2*s ... and level them all 16-21 levels each .... for net positive iso compared to selling the covers.

If you don't already have the covers, they will come quickly enough via sim and LRs, standard and heroic tokens.

If the 2*s need leveling....that's a different calculation. Still worth it, but maybe no #1 priority, based on the particulars.
    I'm going to have to disagree on that.
    I'm well into 3* land (everyone covered) but only have 16 at 166. Among the 2s that I still have, only 2 of them correspond to a 3* ready to champion. Having a 144 2* will bring me nothing in pvp, maybe they would be used if boosted, but even then I'm still more likely to have a better 3* to use.
    So I don't see the point in champing my 2* storm or marvel until I need the 3* cover to move championing along.Sadly this means I'm going to have to move rags up quicker than I'd like to if I want to champ ares anytime soon.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Absolutely champ any 2* that is already maxed.

I had a pile of covers ready to go, and was able to champ 4 2*s ... and level them all 16-21 levels each .... for net positive iso compared to selling the covers.

If you don't already have the covers, they will come quickly enough via sim and LRs, standard and heroic tokens.

If the 2*s need leveling....that's a different calculation. Still worth it, but maybe no #1 priority, based on the particulars.
    I'm going to have to disagree on that.
    I'm well into 3* land (everyone covered) but only have 16 at 166. Among the 2s that I still have, only 2 of them correspond to a 3* ready to champion. Having a 144 2* will bring me nothing in pvp, maybe they would be used if boosted, but even then I'm still more likely to have a better 3* to use.
    So I don't see the point in champing my 2* storm or marvel until I need the 3* cover to move championing along.Sadly this means I'm going to have to move rags up quicker than I'd like to if I want to champ ares anytime soon.

If I'm reading Pinko correctly, I'm inclined to agree with them. The thread title was misleading, I'll admit (and I've edited it), because the thrust of my question is how best to allocate my ISO if my main goal is to transition to 4*: use the available ISO to champ my existing 166s that also have queued covers (and receive however many LTs), or use that ISO to champ a 2* and then level up its corresponding 3* to make use of that 3*'s (expiring) covers (and receive one LT).

After deciding that more LTs is more LTs, I threw my ISO at the 3*s. /spoilers
  • Pinko_McFly
    Yes, I agree that it can be done for free, but the OP is in the same spot that I am where doing it for all the 2*s can end up wasting 3* covers that could be used for future champing, so there is a benefit to waiting if your 3* Is covered but is nowhere near ready to go Levelwise. If you have other maxed 3*s, champion 2*s will probably still be keeping the bench warm.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I maxed and championed Groot because he was my closest to 166 anyway and I had earned a couple covers from a late-join PVE.

Heroic for championing Wolverine (2) got me a Black Panther cover, so I went ahead and maxed him, also.

The irony is I opened that Heroic expecting/wanting a 2* cover. Now I have a champion Panther.
  • Cousin Simpson
    edited January 2016
    Update: So I decided that the amount of ISO needed to 166 Mohawk from 44 required too much of a time commitment and instead brought Deadpool up from 100 and have championed him in < 1 week, while also champing whatever existing 166 when I had the chance.

Now the current question: I'm trying to decide whom I should prioritize as my next 166: Mohawk (44), Bullseye (40). Mohawk has a cover in my queue that will expire in 8 days, while BE has two with the first expiring in 7. I've heard that BE is a PVE monster, though I think that Mohawk is a scary when she's buffed.

Whatever the case, leveling either one will take at best two weeks, so they're going to be longer term projects (and I'll still be championing my current 166s as I get their covers).

EDIT! Forgot to mention that I don't have 2*BE, but I do have 2*Storm, who btw is sitting at level 98 with *seven* covers in queue because the next reward is a Mohawk.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Update: So I decided that the amount of ISO needed to 166 Mohawk from 44 required too much of a time commitment and instead brought Deadpool up from 100 and have championed him in < 1 week, while also champing whatever existing 166 when I had the chance.

Now the current question: I'm trying to decide whom I should prioritize as my next 166: Mohawk (44), Bullseye (40). Mohawk has a cover in my queue that will expire in 8 days, while BE has two with the first expiring in 7. I've heard that BE is a PVE monster, though I think that Mohawk is a scary when she's buffed.

Whatever the case, leveling either one will take at best two weeks, so they're going to be longer term projects (and I'll still be championing my current 166s as I get their covers).

Well, both are good choices, as by championing their 2* counterparts later, you will gain covers for them....

Storm will have the most day to day utility, but 3BE is way more fun to use.

I know, doesn't help..
  • Pinko_McFly
    I'd say hold off on putting any iso into either until you see if you are right on the expiration date. If you have enough iso to hit 166 and still have enough to Champion them as well, pick whichever you'd like to Champ the 2* for.
    If you don't get enough iso, just sell the covers and don't look back. Look at what ever covers you have left and see if you can go after a different character.

At this point I'm chasing a Hulk whom I need about 50K more iso in 7-8 days. Seems feasible, but the Hulbuster DDQ is coming up and my HB has at least 8 covers but I only have him at level 90, so my iso stockpile is going to take a dip in 4 days.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Malcrof wrote:

Well, both are good choices, as by championing their 2* counterparts later, you will gain covers for them....

Storm will have the most day to day utility, but 3BE is way more fun to use.

I know, doesn't help..

Actually that does help! I've never used BE much, so it's nice to hear that

Your post reminded me that I don't have 2*BE on my roster, so I've edited my previous post. I'm leaning towards Storm now, even though I'm concentrating on PVE nowadays, since I'm swimming in her covers. Good thing is that this is going to be a long enough project that whichever direction I go in now doesn't preclude the other option for quite some time.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    3* BE is pretty awesome in pve. If you're careful in ensuring that BE's match damage ends up killing an opponent, you spam a ton of BE tiles via his passive bk ability.

I find Mohawk to be quite useful for pvp, especially the two offseason events. Imagine a champion mohawk teamed up w/ ironfist. icon_twisted.gif

I agree that your goal right now is to iso hoard above all else. And when your covers start to expire then see if maxing/championing is an option or not. If it turns out that you don't have enough, but you're JUST shy in the iso department, you can hit prologue to farm iso at 20 a pop. If you use a powerful team, you could probably finish three matches per minute.