Champion feature nerfs boosted characters?

Azoic
Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
For the doom pvp, my jean was boosted from 270 to 350. After the champion feature launched, she is now 310? So what, now we need to find 40 more covers to bring her back to previous lvls? Or is this a bug?

Comments

• And Dr. Doom is 286 instead of 290. So yeah, they adjusted it. STEALTH!
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the 4*s, I'm noticing that my XFW @ 190 is still boosted to 240.
    Meanwhile Jean at 250 is now 300 instead of more than that...
    Thing at 132 is super-boosted to 222.

I wonder if boosts have been flattened for 4*s? Seems rather odd.

This is in the heroic. I haven't started EotS to compare the next batch.
  • Phillipes
    Phillipes Posts: 431 Mover and Shaker
    Confirming OP, in EOTS, Jean is 310...fallen from 350. This is surely bug.
    Silly us to think D3 can make thing right on first attempt...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    yeah, if they want to buff the 4*s to start handling 5*s better, this is not the way to do it. hopefully a bug and not intended.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yep, and even though Doom only lost 4 levels with the boost (a maxed one is 286 now) damage of Diabolical Plot has been greatly lowered (it was almost 2k per trap now is 1464.

We really need a red name here clarifying whether this is a bug or being completely transparent and precise about the ways boosting and levels changed. This is not "slight" like the announcement stated.
  • AtlasAxe
    AtlasAxe Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    for 2*, 10 levels on OBW brought her from 150 to 160, so no nerf there.
  • GTannen73
    GTannen73 Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    I championed Doom and took him to 169, and in Doctor's Orders, he's boosted to 289. As opposed to 290 for a non-champion. I'm also hoping this is a bug.
  • DrLemniscate
    DrLemniscate Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Look at the actual ability damage on Jean, not just the level. Your 310 jean is likely doing more damage than the old 350 jean.

I think they did this just to make sure 5* levels remain distinct to some point. A maxed champion 4* will now get to level 425 instead of 480 with the old boost mulriplier. It's just superficial.
  • Pylgrim
    As for damage, 290 Doom used to deal 1980 per trap tile. The new maxed Doom now boosts only to 286, but the damage dropped to 1464 per trap. I can also confirm that boosted Deadpool Whales! Whales! Whales!'s damage dropped by around 1k.

On the other hand, I put 14 covers on OBW and her boosted version gained 32 levels, however, 176 OBW has actually less HP than 144 used to have so I don't know what is going on.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Atlas Axe wrote:
    for 2*, 10 levels on OBW brought her from 150 to 160, so no nerf there.

Check her powers though. Both Ares and Storm while boosted are hitting for less than they did previously. Storm's Wind Storm at lvl 150 used to hit for something in the ballpark of 2888 and it now at lvl 155 hits for 2526. Ares took a similar hit as well. The odd thing is the non boosted, champion version hits for more than the non champion though (hopefully that sentence made some sense). I don't know exactly what's happening. Championing seems to help a character when not boosted and hurt them when they are. Makes no sense.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish they would play tested these changed characters; this seem like a bug they could have caught way earlier.
  • SolidQ
    SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
    Phillipes wrote:
    Confirming OP, in EOTS, Jean is 310...fallen from 350. This is surely bug.
    Silly us to think D3 can make thing right on first attempt...
    it's fine, minor buff dmg, same match dmg, I was saw Champion rulk 287 he have 89 match dmg, 4* get's 2 match dmg per 3 lvl icon_e_smile.gif
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Champion feature appears to have changed several things that were not announced. For example, while the base damage on 3* Human Torch has not changed, his boosted damage did. I.E. at four covers of red, at level 166, boosted in Heroic PVE, his red used to do 4495 damage. Now it does about 3400. Huge nerf to boosted characters for sure.

Not only that, ISO costs to level up champs have changed across the board- all an increase. Some levels only went up by 1 iso (example, cost to level a 3* from 157 to 158 used to be 2450, now it's 2451) while some have increased more noticeably. (example, cost to level 3* from 140 to 141 went from 2093 to 2123.)

Overall, frustrating to see unexpected nerfs and increase to leveling cost not included in the announcement of the feature.
  • Pylgrim
    David Hi-Fi said he has asked devs about this and will post something when he hears back. I'm guessing that this is either a bug that they are trying to see if they can fix quickly, or it's intended and they are preparing the documentation of the changes and the rationale.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Hi-Fi said (on a different champions thread) that he's waiting for a response on this, so it sounds like a bug.

It's here (scroll down a few posts): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37699
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2016
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi folks,

Here's some additional information from the developers for updates planned to arrive in MPQ tomorrow with the launch of Champion Levels:

"Related to Champions, we’ve updated power, health and match damage for all of our characters:
      3 and 4-Star Hero powers have been adjusted. Powers are stronger at lower levels, slightly weaker at medium levels and unchanged at Max Level.
      2-Star Characters have had their health adjusted above level 94 to better balance them against each other.
      As part of the championing balance changes 2, 3 and 4-star characters will see a slight difference in match damage and health."

Yeah, maxed characters shouldn't have their damage changed, so that's weird. But maybe they should have said, "unchanged at Max level, weaker at higher than max level...". At least it should affect the enemy AI as well. I'm not surprised OBW has fewer HP at higher levels, she was a beast (not a Beast) powered up to 150, so at C200, watch out! Same w/Ares, thanks to scaled fights against the DA in PvE, we know how balanced he is at high levels. Still, they should have given us a list of all the changes with the launch of R91. Does OBW have the same health at 94 or is she nerfed there too?

I've noticed that 4* have terribly diminished (-30% old values) damage around 130, when before that was just about the point where the DDQ legendary node was doable. At 210 they're about -10%.

The changes to boosting seem like a bug, maybe intentional, but the weird XP stuff people are reporting is definitely a bug. Like Devil Dino costing MORE than a typical 4-star to level. (I mean I could have screwed around with the new content for 2 days and not noticed that, because why would I go to DD's level up screen?) QA has never been D3's strong suit, but they'll get to fixing it after launch, they always do.
    • Akatosh
      Akatosh Posts: 51 Match Maker
      It seems that the non-boosted characters got a stealth nerf as well, at least in 4* land. Prof. X's Master Plan at level 200 used to deal ~4056 damage, now it does 3826. Hulkbuster at level 250 used to deal 622 per red AP with Repulsor Punch, now it only does 605. I'm really hoping this is just a bug, and hope that David gets word by tomorrow on this issue.
    • ErikPeter
      ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
      Akatosh wrote:
      It seems that the non-boosted characters got a stealth nerf as well, at least in 4* land. Prof. X's Master Plan at level 200 used to deal ~4056 damage, now it does 3826. Hulkbuster at level 250 used to deal 622 per red AP with Repulsor Punch, now it only does 605. I'm really hoping this is just a bug, and hope that David gets word by tomorrow on this issue.

That's not a bug icon_e_sad.gif See bolded text in my quoted paragraph above.

Edit: since we started a new thread page, here it is:
      "David wrote:
      Moore"]Hi folks,

Here's some additional information from the developers for updates planned to arrive in MPQ tomorrow with the launch of Champion Levels:

"Related to Champions, we’ve updated power, health and match damage for all of our characters:
        3 and 4-Star Hero powers have been adjusted. Powers are stronger at lower levels, slightly weaker at medium levels and unchanged at Max Level.
        2-Star Characters have had their health adjusted above level 94 to better balance them against each other.
        As part of the championing balance changes 2, 3 and 4-star characters will see a slight difference in match damage and health."
      • SolidQ
        SolidQ Posts: 247 Tile Toppler
        2-3* got nerfs, seems need 3* lvl to 266 to get same abilities numbers as before. 4* got good buff. at 270 minor dmg nerf, when buffed(270> 310) minor buff dmg. So when lvled 4* they got more and more match dmg, ability dmg etc icon_e_wink.gif
      • Akatosh
        Akatosh Posts: 51 Match Maker
        ErikPeter wrote:
        Akatosh wrote:

That's not a bug icon_e_sad.gif See bolded text in my quoted paragraph above.

Edit: since we started a new thread page, here it is:
        "David wrote:
        Moore"]Hi folks,

Sorry about that, I noticed your post right after I posted mine.