SKIP TAX, TIME TO REMOVE PLEASE

Vinmarc43
Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Concerning the skip tax, I think maybe it's time to remove this. ISO is always needed and now that 5* is present in PVP in most team over 800pts, we need to get rid of this tax. A lot of players are wasting 500-600 iso skipping battles in the hope of getting a fair battle.
I think that most, if not all players would like to see this relic gone for good.
What do you think ???

Comments

• Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    ^^ Yes, this please.
  • Spider2013
    Spider2013 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    maybe increase bonus value, starting at 50, or 60
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    I had heard that a not so minor reason it was added was to relieve stress on server pings.
    Each time you Skip, it has to access the servers to give you a new opponent.
    With it being unlimited, players pinged the servers constantly.
    Donno if their server infrastructure is more stable now than it was a year+ ago before the Skip Tax was introduced, but even if so, it's probably a push because the player base as a whole as probably grown quite a bit since then.
  • their plan was to replace it with 10 HP, since people have too much of that now.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    the player base as a whole as probably grown quite a bit since then.

Hahahaha... I doubt it
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    it was added was to relieve stress on server pings.
    It's not a deterrent, just an annoyance. Few would skip any less because of it.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    now that 5* is present in PVP in most team over 800pts, we need to get rid of this tax.

Really? 99% of the 5* characters I see in PvP are with undercovered 3* or 2* teams, the product of a lucky pull that some early-transitioner got that is now ruining their matchmaking to the point where my maxed/boosted team can see them. Above 800 the vast majority of non-3* characters I see are Jean, Hulkbuster, 90s Cyclops and Red Hulk. I hit "skip" on a well-covered 5* maybe five times in an event.
  • simonsez
    Really? 99% of the 5* characters I see in PvP are with undercovered 3* or 2* teams,
    Maybe because of your roster, matchmaking isn't f'ing with you. I'm seeing the same thing the other guy is. In the last event I was trying to climb to my first shield, and I got to a point where 90% of what I was seeing were legit 5* teams. Aside from losing 100s of ISO skipping trying to find something else, I was also getting my **** handed to me because I was one of the few targets at that score that wasn't a 5* team.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I would vote for a compromise. Make it free to skip any team worth less than 45 points.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    now that 5* is present in PVP in most team over 800pts, we need to get rid of this tax.

Really? 99% of the 5* characters I see in PvP are with undercovered 3* or 2* teams, the product of a lucky pull that some early-transitioner got that is now ruining their matchmaking to the point where my maxed/boosted team can see them. Above 800 the vast majority of non-3* characters I see are Jean, Hulkbuster, 90s Cyclops and Red Hulk. I hit "skip" on a well-covered 5* maybe five times in an event.
    I don't want to make assumptions or sound like an ****, but how much time do you spend north of 1k? or at/above 1300? On more than one occasion I've been somewhere around 1400 and literally the only 5 matches the game would give me were the 5 guys floating unshielded above 1300 with dual 350+ 5*. Typically it will at least break up those guys with 2* teams worth 1 or 2 points or someone hopping around 1k, but on these occasions no amount of skips was enough to break the cycle. If I didn't have access to a BC to know when other high point targets would be available what would my recourse be? Just spend 100s or 1000s of iso skipping every 30 minutes or so hoping to find a target worth hitting?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally stop before hitting 1100, but he said "over 800pts," and I spend a lot of time in that region. (roster has all three 5*s at 255, HB at 270, next highest is Jean at 197)
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    A lot of players are wasting 500-600 iso skipping battles in the hope of getting a fair battle.
    if I only spent that much per event... some events those numbers are off by an order of magnitude. ccs exacerbate that, and could really increase pings. I wouldn't play any differently, but I would save a ton of iso. others might play differently and increase pings.
    my experience has been very similar to the others. I don't get offered many pairs of 5*s, but last event when cycling nodes between hops, 90% of reasonably offered teams (i.e. more than 40 pts) were 5*(mid-300s)/4* (mostly jean). then I would finally find that 2* team I was looking for lol. you're correct that in the 800-1100 range there are other options that are actually worth hitting (more than 40-45 pts). the thing is, once you get one well into the 300s, everyone skips you so you can just float in the 1200+ range and us shmoes cycling nodes find nothing but those guys over and over again and then finally you see someone pop up when they're hopping. then you have to decide if you think they will cc or not. keep the queue or cycle it more. on. and. on. and. on. viva la pvp!
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    In Doom PVP I've been seeing legit 5* teams at 500.
    That's a first, usually I don't see these until I'm in hopping range.

Welcome to the new meta where token luck decides if you are worthy to compete.
  • simonsez
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Welcome to the new meta where token luck decides if you are worthy to compete.

were-not-worthy.png
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it makes you feel better, I have an oml at 345, but there are still plenty of non-5* teams who can beat me. Put in some elbow grease! I won't usually retaliate if the attacker isn't worth many points.

But yeah, if it's up at 390+, it's probably much harder, especially if accompanied by a second 5*... yiikes!

I don't mind the skip tax.. but yeah I would love it if it were removed or lowered! I do find it annoying when it only seems to cycle through the same 5 people, especially if those 5 people are all in my alliance family or else have 5*s that are big and scary! I know there are more than 5 people playing!

Also it's nutz when I hit a certain score ceiling, and all the people are at like 2-3 points. That's just not worth the battle. Really unless the battle is in the 45-75 range, it's generally not worth it. Unless you're at 999, looking to hit 1000 (or close to 1300). But once you're past 1300, a 2 point battle is too much work! There must be some higher point battles out there somewhere!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wish I could give you both of my thumbs for this.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    they should at least not "skip tax" the same name u see over and over again. once is enough, but over 40x times for the same name.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    If they improved the filtering on which matches it sent you, that wouldn't be a problem.
    It shouldn't send matches worth less than, say, 35 points, and all matches should be within a certain percentage of your max team. Yes. That would break cupcaking as well.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Really? 99% of the 5* characters I see in PvP are with undercovered 3* or 2* teams,
    Maybe because of your roster, matchmaking isn't f'ing with you. I'm seeing the same thing the other guy is. In the last event I was trying to climb to my first shield, and I got to a point where 90% of what I was seeing were legit 5* teams. Aside from losing 100s of ISO skipping trying to find something else, I was also getting my **** handed to me because I was one of the few targets at that score that wasn't a 5* team.

To fix that they just need to make players visible while shielded again. Retaliation-while-shielded points can be cut way down or removed, but the system sucks because at a given rating (whatever arcane system decides that, always seems to skew hard), the people you find are the ones that don't need to shield. So of course all you find is the huge 5* teams (for me it's just 270 HB/JG/Etc) that are tinykitty because the good targets are a) shielded or b) hiding at a lower rating.

If rating were based on your PVP high score for the past X matches--so 1500s are finding 1500s and I can fight the lazy people like me who basically never hit 1000--I probably wouldn't need to skip much and the system wouldn't seem like a big deal.

A few people might selectively bail on events to get easier matches, but Alliance players wouldn't and power players wouldn't if X was high enough, e.g. your rating is your high score for last season plus 2 highest this season. I suppose there actually might be some system like that in place, and I just get stuck fighting lazy people with better rosters than me, because of the shielding thing. But why wouldn't they push to 1000 with their 270+s if that were true?

tl;dr: yea PvP scaling is kinda weird, if it were better, skipping would be less annoying
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would also be great if i didnt get attacked a bunch of times while skipping to find a match.. It feels like I'm paying Iso to lose points.. I end up giving up to shield earlier than I want.