New Currency Purchases- Speculation

Stormking3
Stormking3 Posts: 38
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'd say its pretty safe to assume that there will still be a way to purchase new covers with real money, all be it through CP, not HP. C'mon, D3 has to make their money after all. (And rightfully so, because games don't develop themselves for free!)

That said, what do you think the new structure will be like? Do you think it will be easier to buy covers? Tougher?

Further, if you had $100 you had to spend on this game, would you invest now, knowing the amount of covers you would get, or wait and gamble that the new system is better?

Discuss!

Comments

• Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    I feel like they might have mentioned a possibility of changing purchase options. I'm doubtful at the prospect of a quick change, if any. I'd invest the $100 now if it meant getting necessary covers, as we don't know how long it will take to cover characters based on RNG or the waiting game of them being in top tier rewards.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stormking3 wrote:
    C'mon, D3 has to make their money after all.
    They've said they make most of their money from token purchases, and they're operating under the absurd delusion that players like Colog are going to change their spending habits and start buying tons of 40packs instead.
    Stormking3 wrote:
    Further, if you had $100 you had to spend on this game, would you invest now, knowing the amount of covers you would get, or wait and gamble that the new system is better?
    I'd find something else to spend the $100 on.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know. I'm fine buying HP for roster slots, but covers come easy enough for me that I've never felt the need to purchase them with real money. Maybe if they were cheaper, but 2500 ISO for one 4* cover seems a bit ridiculous. I mean, it's 20k for $100 (and that's the "best deal") so that breaks down to $12.50/cover at the cheapest and I don't think that's worth it.

So unless they go and make CP available at about 50x the current offering for HP packs, I don't see myself ever buying a cover with it.
  • Thanks to all for their input so far!

On a side note, for those ONLY stating they never would buy covers, please kindly post your opinions in another thread.

This thread is intended for those who DO buy covers, or those who CAN speculate on a hypothetical situation where $100 would be spent. This is to aide those who plan to spend, and your experience and input can still be valuable.

To reiterate, please do not hijack this thread and turn it into a "covers cost too much real money" gripe-fest.

Thanks!
  • I don't know. I'm fine buying HP for roster slots, but covers come easy enough for me that I've never felt the need to purchase them with real money. Maybe if they were cheaper, but 2500 ISO for one 4* cover seems a bit ridiculous. I mean, it's 20k for $100 (and that's the "best deal") so that breaks down to $12.50/cover at the cheapest and I don't think that's worth it.

So unless they go and make CP available at about 50x the current offering for HP packs, I don't see myself ever buying a cover with it.
    So if you had to spend $100 in game, would you spend it at the current scale, or wait and see what D3 has up their sleeves?
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    The logical missing piece is an option to purchase CP for HP....
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Stormking3 wrote:
    They've said they make most of their money from token purchases, and they're operating under the absurd delusion that players like Colog are going to change their spending habits and start buying tons of 40packs instead.
    Stormking3 wrote:

Unless championing levels are much more lucrative than they seem It is extremely unlikely I will start buying 40-packs.
    I have been happy with the system of one Stark Salary allowed me to cover max a new character after I won five covers in the PvE release. For me $100 per new character was an okay price to pay. Because I have been doing that for so long I can't see where I would be enticed to spend more than that. The line in my head has been drawn at $100 is good value for buying eight covers. More than that is diminishing returns for me.

Also to Stormking3's point I have stopped recommending the game to my gamer friends. I do continue to recommend it to my casual mobile game friends who want to move on from Candy Crush/Bejeweled.FarmHeroes etc.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    In response to Stormking, I would likely wait. Unfortunately the sale was last week and I stocked up to be able to "whale" anyone I felt was deserving or game changing. I believed ISO to be a poor investment of $100 but HP had many uses and could and would be used all over. It makes sense to purchase CP with HP going forward but I bet the conversion rate will be awful. That said, if it's the only option then it will be used. Buying mystery 40 packs is no longer an enticing option to me.

I am not opposed to this change long term but it was implemented very poorly.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had only recently started purchasing 4* covers once I realized the 3-4* transition was not going to be feasible with PVE Legendaries and CP alone. I bought 4* Cyclops and Red Hulk and had plan to buy IB and JG once I obtained their last color. Now with the 20k HP I have, I don't know I will buy. I won't need roster slots because now with the champion feature I can sell my multiple dups.

At this point, I think the best "value" I can spend my HP on is a 40pk from a small Vault such as the recent Holiday one.

I wish they would have kept the initial 13 covers for HP but once championed, you can use CP to buy covers to level them (assuming you can "buy" covers in the Champion phase).
  • rawfsu
    rawfsu Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    If I had a $100 to spend, I'd spend it now as HP has more value. After the changes come, HP as premium currency will be reduced. ISO and CP are the new kings on the hill. I would spend the HP on the same things I do now, roster slots and shields.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Also to Stormking3's point I have stopped recommending the game to my gamer friends. I do continue to recommend it to my casual mobile game friends who want to move on from Candy Crush/Bejeweled.FarmHeroes etc.

The importance of this quote and who it's from cannot.....err should not be ignored by D3.
  • rawfsu wrote:
    If I had a $100 to spend, I'd spend it now as HP has more value. After the changes come, HP as premium currency will be reduced. ISO and CP are the new kings on the hill. I would spend the HP on the same things I do now, roster slots and shields.

Which wouldn't be too bad if the dollar to iso ratio wasn't incredibly terrible. It's like they are trying to push people to buy more iso by removing other purchasing options rather than just making the iso value more worthwhile.
  • simonsez wrote:
    Stormking3 wrote:
    Stormking3 wrote:

My first thought was of what I could do with $100 in the other Marvel game I play... Oh man, it'd be like Christmas all over again...

DBC
  • I'm surprised no one thinks that CP will soon become purchasable.

Thoughts on this?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    rawfsu wrote:

Which wouldn't be too bad if the dollar to iso ratio wasn't incredibly terrible. It's like they are trying to push people to buy more iso by removing other purchasing options rather than just making the iso value more worthwhile.
    Also to that point - At least on one occasion IceIX and maybe other red names have admitted that iso purchases are not meant to be big earners and only really there for people in desperate need to just finish off a few levels of their chars. Maybe someone can dig up the actual quote, but I distinctly remember reading it and am just too lazy to go searching for it myself.

As for speculation, this points to one of two things for me. Either they are planning on making CPs much easier to get pretty soon, or there will be an option to directly purchase CPs from the store. That's my take at least.

Last thing...not that I expect an answer, but any chance a dev can explain why with HP a 4* cover costs just 2x a 3* cover, but with CP it will now cost 6x? No one else finds that at all surprising (haven't read everything so maybe there's a whole army with pitchforks elsewhere)?
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    mohio wrote:
    Last thing...not that I expect an answer, but any chance a dev can explain why with HP a 4* cover costs just 2x a 3* cover, but with CP it will now cost 6x? No one else finds that at all surprising (haven't read everything so maybe there's a whole army with pitchforks elsewhere)?

Complete speculation, but I'm guessing that the 6x 4* cost is the "normal" cost, and the 3* covers have been "discounted" because the demand for them has diminished in the DDQ world (where getting a given cover is just a matter of waiting).
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I don't purchase covers. The $100 would be used for other items.

And I'm only posting this because I don't like having someone telling me I can't post in a PUBLIC thread just because they think my opinion isn't relevant.

*tips hat*
  • I don't purchase covers. The $100 would be used for other items.

And I'm only posting this because I don't like having someone telling me I can't post in a PUBLIC thread just because they think my opinion isn't relevant.

*tips hat*
    Your opinion is certainly is important, but I wouldn't say relevant...
    Simply put, it's just off topic in THIS thread. There are plenty of other places these comments are more suitable.

Thanks for understanding!
  • boldfacedfemme
    boldfacedfemme Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Methinks sarcasm is lost on you.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stormking3 wrote:
    I'm surprised no one thinks that CP will soon become purchasable.

Thoughts on this?

Runs directly contradictory to the devs initial approach that 5* should be a long-term goal and not (cheaply) purchasable.

Then they did a whole bunch of stuff contradictory to that.

So yeah, probably 720CP for a nickel is coming next.