Should you be able to Champion 1*s?

DAC169
DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, they specifically stated that 2*s & up would be able to be Championed, but not 1*s. The whole point of Championing characters is to close the gap between 1 tier & the next. Should 1*s be able to be Championed?
    [*]REMEMBER: Don't think of just your roster. Think of new players just starting out![/*]
    On the one hand, leveling them to 65/75 would put them closer to 2*s.
    On the other hand, 2* covers are so easy to get anyway.

I think so because 1*s are so much easier to get at the start than 2*s and it would be a nice way to get some extra ISO, HP, & 2* covers early on. Plus it would make the "easy" nodes of PvE events easier for them, meaning more progression rewards.
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• ynglink
      ynglink Posts: 195
      I'd say sure, why not. Let the 1*'s hit level 60/65. Just make the main rewards a heavy amount of iso (to help level up their new 2*'s and such), HP (For enough for a roster slot or two), and then just one 2* cover.

Plus, at least then I have a use than just selling the covers straight up for a little bit.
    • Mawtful
      Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
      Yes. Because there's no reason to introduce this mechanic at the end of the 2* tier.

Even new players will be able to cover and level a 1* character fairly easily. If you introduce Champion levels straight away, it gives them a nice little - almost controlled - environment to learn this mechanic and understand how it works and how it's applied and what it achieves. Then as they progress into the 2* tier, they get 50 levels of Championing and a much wider range of characters to choice from which really sets them up for the "main game" starting at the 3* tier. By that stage, there are so many more characters to go through, but this gradual introduction to Championing actually reinforces the "players can pick and choice what they want to level" type of ideology.
    • ynglink
      ynglink Posts: 195
      Mawtful wrote:
      Yes. Because there's no reason to introduce this mechanic at the end of the 2* tier.

Even new players will be able to cover and level a 1* character fairly easily. If you introduce Champion levels straight away, it gives them a nice little - almost controlled - environment to learn this mechanic and understand how it works and how it's applied and what it achieves. Then as they progress into the 2* tier, they get 50 levels of Championing and a much wider range of characters to choice from which really sets them up for the "main game" starting at the 3* tier. By that stage, there are so many more characters to go through, but this gradual introduction to Championing actually reinforces the "players can pick and choice what they want to level" type of ideology.
      I don't think I'd go 50 levels onto a 1*, but I think 20 or 25 would be fine enough to introduce the mechanic and give them some nice scaling guys (Juggs)
    • mpqr7
      mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
      No! 1*s suck! Even as a newbie, I never used them for anything!!!
    • Lystrata
      Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
      Sure. Don't see why not. Won't have any affect on regular players. If newcomers want to waste iso on that, I say let 'em. icon_lol.gif
    • Mawtful
      Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
      ynglink wrote:
      I don't think I'd go 50 levels onto a 1*, but I think 20 or 25 would be fine enough to introduce the mechanic and give them some nice scaling guys (Juggs)

My apologies, I can see that my statement was poorly worded. The 50 levels of championing was in reference to 2*'s, but it does read a little odd.
    • SuperRecoome
      SuperRecoome Posts: 59 Match Maker
      I'd say no, reason being Juggernaut. Giving him an extra 20 or more levels would mean he'd be very usable well into when people would be using 2 stars exclusively. I'd take a level 65 Jugs over a level 65 of any 2 star. Hell he'd probably be better than a bunch of the maxed 2 stars at 65. He'd be better than Moonstone, Bullseye, Cap, Hawkeye at least.
    • Punisher5784
      Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
      I'm shocked they didn't apply Champion status to 1*s just for the simple fact that it would make new players buy roster slots because they would be very resistant on selling their champion 1*s.

I held onto my 1* Iron Man much longer than I should have because I had leveled him to 50 and didn't want to just drop him after I spent time building him up. I didn't sell him until 1* Spidey was released.
    • Punisher5784
      Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
      edited January 2016
      I'd say no, reason being Juggernaut. Giving him an extra 20 or more levels would mean he'd be very usable well into when people would be using 2 stars exclusively. I'd take a level 65 Jugs over a level 65 of any 2 star. Hell he'd probably be better than a bunch of the maxed 2 stars at 65. He'd be better than Moonstone, Bullseye, Cap, Hawkeye at least.

Actually new players don't use Juggs as often as you would think because he does self damage. Also when Juggs is buffed, I still rarely found me using him. He's purely for 1* DDQ and BOP (which will likely become 2/3/4*s).

1* Ironman will always be the most used 1*, especially amongst new players.
    • SuperRecoome
      SuperRecoome Posts: 59 Match Maker
      6 AP for pretty decent damage. He has high enough HP to support the self damage. Plus 6 ap for massive board shake... I'm surprised newbies don't use him. I sure did when I was new.
    • Tryke
      Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
      Thinking back, I was about a month into the game and I was already loathing standard recruit tokens because I'd outgrown 1*'s.

Also, juggs would be a reasonable character even if the only thing you used was his green. His red is absurdly powerful too.