t10 for PVE

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I checked in tips and guides and didn't find anything so here goes...

Any players who consistently get T10 in PVE events could you please tell me how much you grind?

Do you just grind every node on every sub down to 1..then keep grinding?

I'm curious how the t10 (which are a good 7k above me in 52) are getting so much more points than me when I'm doing optimal clears with 2 x grinds of all the essentials. Those above me must be grinding like crazy

Comments

• Lukoil
    Lukoil Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    I checked in tips and guides and didn't find anything so here goes...

Any players who consistently get T10 in PVE events could you please tell me how much you grind?

Do you just grind every node on every sub down to 1..then keep grinding?

I'm curious how the t10 (which are a good 7k above me in 52) are getting so much more points than me when I'm doing optimal clears with 2 x grinds of all the essentials. Those above me must be grinding like crazy
    depends on the bracket and yes you can join grindingfest bracket where everyone tryharding.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    For new releases, I clear regularly, then at the sub ends grind as much as I can in as little time as possible. icon_e_smile.gif I'm normally content with t10, the t1-2 people will have more detailed strategies that generally involve grinding everything to 1 in a certain order.

If you still have time left after grinding everything to 1, you probably started grinding too early...
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 186 Tile Toppler
    I just finished t10 in 2nd run of Venom Bomb (because .... ummm... was procrastinating).

First top 10 in a log time. And was assisted by the overwhelming "meh" that greeted the second run.

Got my 5th Green Thing tho, and his 13th cover, and thanks to "championing", I don't have to chase the Reds I want. Yay!

I saw you in my bracket and figured my thing was already 445 so I may as well let it go to someone who needs the green. Grats on finally covering your thing!

I took 11th right behind you icon_e_smile.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    I just finished t10 in 2nd run of Venom Bomb (because .... ummm... was procrastinating).

First top 10 in a log time. And was assisted by the overwhelming "meh" that greeted the second run.

Got my 5th Green Thing tho, and his 13th cover, and thanks to "championing", I don't have to chase the Reds I want. Yay!

But as far as how to do it ....

1. Join a fresh bracket as close to the flip as possible.
    2. Clear immediately, as quickly as possible. Essentials first, then the main line. Clearing the essentials first will bump up scaling on the Hard nodes, but to win you want max points, you want to get those valuable nodes refreshing ASAP.
    3. Clear every 8hrs (assuming you joined with more than 11hrs remaining in the sub). DON'T clear early, but once refreshed, clear quickly. Always hit the highest value node that is completely refreshed, to get it pumping out points again. If you're on time, this means clearing in the same order that you cleared before; if some time slipped (life) then clear highest value to lowest.
    4. The grind. Allow 3hrs for a FULL grind. IF you have missed a clear and the nodes are all refreshed, clear them all from highest to lowest to get them refreshing. Then starting with the lowest value node, grind each node repeatedly, until its value is less than what each clear removes. That is, if a 200pt node is worth 190 when starting your grind, each clear will remove 33pts (200/6): 190, 157, 124, 91, 58, 25. Don't hit it for 25. Leave that.
    5. When you have finished step 4 on all nodes, assuming time hasn't run out, clear one last time, lowest to highest, to get the dregs off each node.

In this latest top 10, I joined the event halfway through the first sub, and didn't have to grind to 1 (step 5), clears were timely ... except missed 1 on sub 3 ... and grinds were 2.5hrs on avg. First place was 14K (about 17%) ahead of me.

If you prefer a shorter, more intense game, try to catch a bracket flip on the last sub and go for it icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the info, I don't really have much intention on actually grinding for top rewards, I work far too much unfortunately. I was more just curious as to what insanity people put themselves through for t10. As a transitioner I don't really need those ice covers (yet) so I'm happy with t30 or so to complete my 3* collection.

Again thanks for the info, always find your posts informative.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker

But as far as how to do it ....

1. Join a fresh bracket as close to the flip as possible.
    2. Clear immediately, as quickly as possible. Essentials first, then the main line. Clearing the essentials first will bump up scaling on the Hard nodes, but to win you want max points, you want to get those valuable nodes refreshing ASAP.
    3. Clear every 8hrs (assuming you joined with more than 11hrs remaining in the sub). DON'T clear early, but once refreshed, clear quickly. Always hit the highest value node that is completely refreshed, to get it pumping out points again. If you're on time, this means clearing in the same order that you cleared before; if some time slipped (life) then clear highest value to lowest.
    4. The grind. Allow 3hrs for a FULL grind. IF you have missed a clear and the nodes are all refreshed, clear them all from highest to lowest to get them refreshing. Then starting with the lowest value node, grind each node repeatedly, until its value is less than what each clear removes. That is, if a 200pt node is worth 190 when starting your grind, each clear will remove 33pts (200/6): 190, 157, 124, 91, 58, 25. Don't hit it for 25. Leave that.
    5. When you have finished step 4 on all nodes, assuming time hasn't run out, clear one last time, lowest to highest, to get the dregs off each node.

In this latest top 10, I joined the event halfway through the first sub, and didn't have to grind to 1 (step 5), clears were timely ... except missed 1 on sub 3 ... and grinds were 2.5hrs on avg. First place was 14K (about 17%) ahead of me.

If you prefer a shorter, more intense game, try to catch a bracket flip on the last sub and go for it icon_lol.gif

Speaking as someone that regularly clears, gets LTs, and finishes in the top 50, #4 is why PVE is so flipping terrible. If there are 1000 ppl in a bracket, why is only 1% of players getting any sort of reasonable progress (and 0.2% prior)? There is just no way I can justify grinding PVE for 4-5hrs every single day for 1-2 4* covers. I have played other mobile games and my general experience is that top 5% is usually good enough for some sort of premium award. And, who knows what championing will do now that more players will be gunning for dupe 3* covers again (myself included).

I still haven't gotten to the point where I'm gonna sacrifice the LT to have the chance of catching a fresh bracket on the last sub to compete for t10. Of course, given my track record w/ LTs (2 5*s out of 62 pulls), I probably should.

Also, I'm not judging and am actually very impressed w/ the level of dedication and skill to manage the clears and grinds that t10 finishes in deathbrackets takes, so props to you.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Aes, hit all the important tips.

One extra thing is speed. The faster you finish each clear the more points you'll have available for the final grind. You may want to use boosts (all AP). Just be aware using boosts will raise scaling. If you can wait till 2 hours before final grind instead of 3 hours you can squeak out even more points. However, that's very risky since doing each node 5 times minimum is better than waiting another hour.

Clearing crazy fast though only really required if you are going for t2. Doing on time clears and a full final 3 hour grind at the end of each sub should net an easy t10.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Aesth's post is really really good. That is the best way to maximize your points. I just want to add that sometimes you have to use your best judgement. There are many pves where I do the hardest node first so the scaling on that node doesn't go insane. Id rather miss out on a few points than miss out on a ton later. You can always go back and try to get the hundred or so points it regenerated at the end of your grind. This also starts your health pack timer earlier. If you are a careful player one health pack can get you through thousands of points. You have 14-15 health packs to work with if you start the cooldown right away. Most important of all, it keeps my frustration down because I know the worst part of the grind is over with.

I'm usually top10 every pvp and I was first in the second run of Carnage @ 95034 points. Skipped the first 3 clears entirely. In the last 2 subs I did the Carnage node first simply because I wanted to get it done and over with. I would have gotten very upset if I saved it for last and kept wiping on it with 10 minutes left.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:
    Aesth's post is really really good. That is the best way to maximize your points. I just want to add that sometimes you have to use your best judgement. There are many pves where I do the hardest node first so the scaling on that node doesn't go insane. Id rather miss out on a few points than miss out on a ton later. You can always go back and try to get the hundred or so points it regenerated at the end of your grind. This also starts your health pack timer earlier. If you are a careful player one health pack can get you through thousands of points. You have 14-15 health packs to work with if you start the cooldown right away. Most important of all, it keeps my frustration down because I know the worst part of the grind is over with.

I'm usually top10 every pvp and I was first in the second run of Carnage @ 95034 points. Skipped the first 3 clears entirely. In the last 2 subs I did the Carnage node first simply because I wanted to get it done and over with. I would have gotten very upset if I saved it for last and kept wiping on it with 10 minutes left.
    Yeah, I remember a run of The Hunt where everything was going great in Florida and I just had the Ares node left... but it had scaled to insane levels and I kept wiping and I quickly fell down the ratings. Boo-urns!
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Then starting with the lowest value node, grind each node repeatedly, until its value is less than what each clear removes.

I defer to you on questions of data, aes, but can you explain why start with the lowest value node on the grind? I usually start with the highest on the justification that I'll get them while scaling is at its lowest and health packs are flush.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Then starting with the lowest value node, grind each node repeatedly, until its value is less than what each clear removes.

I defer to you on questions of data, aes, but can you explain why start with the lowest value node on the grind? I usually start with the highest on the justification that I'll get them while scaling is at its lowest and health packs are flush.

If you cleared at 0, 8, and 16 hour mark, nodes won't be fully regenerated by the time you start your grind. Higher point nodes regenerate more points per minute so you let it build up as high as it can go before you grind it.

Clear high to low, grind low to high.
  • The Bob The
    Ruinate wrote:

If you cleared at 0, 8, and 16 hour mark, nodes won't be fully regenerated by the time you start your grind. Higher point nodes regenerate more points per minute so you let it build up as high as it can go before you grind it.

And now I know...
  • OneLastGambit
    Here's a question, How can you start with the hard nodes when you have to play the nodes in sequence? Or do you mean start with hard nodes after first clear?
  • The Bob The
    Here's a question, How can you start with the hard nodes when you have to play the nodes in sequence? Or do you mean start with hard nodes after first clear?

Yes, the second one, but only if you missed clearing right on the button and harder nodes have refreshed. The rule of thumb appears to be always start with the node that is 1) highest value and 2) fully refreshed.

Unless you're grinding.

There are two thumbs.
  • The difference between top ten and first place is massive. Top ten is actually quite leisurely comparatively. The biggest thing you can do to ensure an easier grind is just making sure you hit 8 hour cycles as close to possible as you can. If you have a choice between clearing a cycle a bit early or clearing it late, it's better to clear it a bit early. When you leave a node at max points, that essentially wastes points that it would have been regenerating.
  • The Bob The
    Ruinate wrote:

Oh, Bob ... I am so sorry. You've been shooting off toes. Painful.

What I said and Ruinate said ... the higher the value, the faster the regen.

All nodes regen in 48hrs (2880 min) regardless of value.

So a 100 pt node regenerates at 1pt per 28.8 min. Nothing much lost by clearing it with 2hrs left. Literally a couple dozen pts (4pts regen in 2hrs • 6 clears = 24pts)

Now think about some of the wave nodes in EotS, worth 5000 pts or more. That's 1pt every 34sec! You can literally watch it tick (well, if you're bored). In 2hrs, the difference in clearing it earlier rather than later is a loss of 1250pts (208.3pts regen in 2hrs • 6 clears = 1250)

An extreme example, but it applies just the same even when the high node is like 840 and the lowest 240. Time on the higher node is worth 3.5x as much (840/240)

The other angle is the value of the first clear determines the value of the grinding of that node. Each clear is worth 1/6th the original value less of the node less than the last clear.

As Ruinate points out, unless you've skipped a clear, the nodes aren't refreshed when you start grinding. It takes time to clear, and life happens. On a 24hr sub, you might clear a given node at 23.5hrs, 15hrs, 7.5hrs.

Starting in on that 5000pt node with .5hrs left will have it 94/96ths refreshed (refreshed for 7hrs after 1 clear), back up to 4895, and the series of clears will look like:

1st: ...... 4895
    2nd: ..... 4070 (-5000/6 + 8pts refreshed in 5min)
    3rd: ...... 3245
    4th: ...... 2420
    5th: ...... 1595
    6th: ........ 770
    Total: ... 16995 pts

Starting in on that 5000pt node with 3hrs left will have it 89/96ths refreshed, back up to 4635, and the series of clears will look like:

1st: ...... 4635
    2nd: ..... 3810 (-5000/6 + 8pts refreshed in 5min)
    3rd: ...... 2985
    4th: ...... 2160
    5th: ...... 1335
    6th: ........ 510
    Total: ... 15435 pts

I hope this also illustrates how overgrinding or even clearing a bit early can really hamstring your possible points.

That said, clearing early is better than not clearing at all ....

This is the most useful thing I've read on the Internet today.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Snipped some good data/comments

That said, clearing early is better than not clearing at all ....

And this is why some top PvE players will still advise you to grind high to low. The combination of missing out on finishing all the nodes as well as scaling increasing while you're beating the other nodes leads a lot of people to grind high to low. Yes someone who is able to handle the scaling better will beat you grinding the other way, but you probably didn't stand much of a chance against that person anyway.

Just as a note - grinding high to low ensures that all nodes stay at normal difficulty or maybe barely tips into hard, but grinding low to high will leave you with hard and deadly nodes at the end.

Oh also - the wave node example is certainly a good one, but if you're only leaving 30 minutes at the end to finish the hardest wave node, you probably aren't going to have time to grind it down to 0. 4-5 waves of 200+ level enemies...even with winfinite or another "foolproof" wave node strategy it just takes a lot of time to chew through that much health.