At what point is a 5* PvP viable?

TheHueyFreeman
TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I figure that it changes for each of the three current characters but I'm wondering when is a sufficient time to pump iso into them and overcome the disadvantages of scaling.

I imagine its based more on levels than covers though.

Speculation

Surfer is when his red does better damage per AP than Hulkbuster or when his healing becomes 10k

OML is based on either health (20k?) or strike tiles of red.

Jean.... I have no clue.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm kind of curious about this too. My Phoenix is 2/0/2, so she might be viable once I get a purple cover. Surfer is 0/0/3, so I'll want at least one blue cover and preferably a few red covers before he becomes viable. Logan is 1/1/0... could be viable with a red cover, not quite sure there.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    5-6 covers OML.
    2/2/1 or 3/2/1 or something like that is entirely playable. At two covers, his heal already hit that annoying mark to deal with.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    My OML is 0/0/2 and not viable at all in pvp apart from beating the feeder teams anyway.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    6-7 covers.

Climb with 6 covers. Hop with 7+.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    6-7 covers.

Climb with 6 covers. Hop with 7+.

If it is not SS. SS needs 4 covers in red and at least 8 in total (375+ level). He is so bad before that point... ( It is very sad to say so, but he needs a small buff :S :S :S )
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    1-1-1 Logan works fine climbing. Even gets defensives but would not hop with him. Not levelled him yet though. For three covers he is pretty badass actually. Jean and surfer I can't comment as I only have loaner ones.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Even 2/2/0 is very viable for Jean. Having to deal with her twice and that phenomenally annoying big boost to special tiles is enough of a deterrent that a lot of people will just skip her. Hell, anyone that has that right now would be crazy to not be running her in Fatal Attraction.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a 1/1/1 SS and a 0/2/1 OML, but I wouldn't use either one except to beat seed teams. They both heal just fine, but they don't really do anything else. SS's red does 1600 damage and OML's strike tiles are pretty weak at this point. I'm sure that 3-4 more covers would make them both great, but that's a long way off for me right now.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I discussed this in my videos. First off, consider that having a cover in each color is not necessarily good. For example, a one purple cover Phoenix is bad. You would waste purple AP on her one cover purple, which is useless, instead of another good characters purple on defense. There is a certain jumping off point. You have to take match damage into consideration a lot more than skills when talking about 5 stars. So even if the skills, like SS's red, don't do a lot of damage at low covers, the match damage can more than make up for it. A lot of it depends on which covers you have as well. A 5 blue cover SS would be skip worthy, because he won't waste red AP on a weak skill, but is doing good match damage and can heal back to full and can't be stunned. A 1 blue and 1 red and 5 black SS, even though he can be leveled higher and has more covers, is not usable. Because his blue isn't enough to scare people from focusing him down quickly and he depletes red and black AP on bad moves.

Consider the same thing for other characters. OML without black can't transform, which in some ways is good because he always has his yellow healing. But then he has no damage moves really.

Phoenix can be used with 3-4 green covers and nothing else, since her transformed green can do tons of damage for cheap.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Most of these are unusable unless you have at least one of each cover. At first, my oml was black/red only, so it died after just a few turns and was terrible on defense. Once I got a yellow, it was immensely helpful. Now at 6 covers, he rises and floats quite well. I could still use more covers though, rngesus! Work for me, LTs! No more repeats of 4*s where I already have 5 covers!

With my oml at 6 covers, I can rip through jb/hb teams quite easily, so it's much easier to score higher on pvps. And I usually get a few battles done at high point levels before the snipes come in, especially if I have a high boosted 4* as a partner. Last week was great, because my 4hor is at 270 (350 when boosted), so I was quite formidable and scary to many!