Users with a "bolt head" beside their name

Options
WilsonFisk
WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
In the tournaments, I see some players have a symbol that resembles the head of a bolt beside their name. What does this mean?

Comments

• Means they're shielded, so they can't be attacked/don't lose points
  • WilsonFisk
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks
  • WilsonFisk
    Options
    Now I've got a little more confusion. The guy at the top of my Magneto bracket is shielded, but he's gaining points at an impressive rate. The way I read the shielding, it says you'll break the shield if you attack. How do you gain points while shielded then?
  • chadds wrote:
    Now I've got a little more confusion. The guy at the top of my Magneto bracket is shielded, but he's gaining points at an impressive rate. The way I read the shielding, it says you'll break the shield if you attack. How do you gain points while shielded then?

If people attack you and they lose, you gain points, even when shielded. If someone made a bunch of attacks and then shielded, they may be getting hit with a bunch of retaliations and winning some defensive battles.

Also, they could be attacking and quickly reshielding, though you usually only see that in elites towards the end.
  • WilsonFisk
    Options
    Thanks, that makes sense. I was under the impression that you were invisible to attacks when shielded
  • chadds wrote:
    Thanks, that makes sense. I was under the impression that you were invisible to attacks when shielded

Anyone that retains you in one of the nodes in their queue of opponents can fight you, even though you are shielded. If they skip your node, you will not reappear however.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    chadds wrote:

Anyone that retains you in one of the nodes in their queue of opponents can fight you, even though you are shielded. If they skip your node, you will not reappear however.

You're not completely invisible to new passes while shielded, but the chance seems to be ridiculously low.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    Celerity wrote:
    The Ladder wrote:
    chadds wrote:

You're not completely invisible to new passes while shielded, but the chance seems to be ridiculously low.

Based on what I've seen, it is common for shielded players to set up the nodes, then fight them hours later.

Someone leading a bracket also set up a large number of retaliations on the way. Those are still in nodes even after shielding.