5* match damage differences?

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
I have a level 300 Silver Surfer and a level 299 Old Man Logan. I realized that the Surfer does 185/164/144 match damage while Logan already does 195/173/152. Shouldn't characters of the same rarity and the same level do the same match damage? I don't have a Phoenix, so I can't see how she compares. Did they up the match damage after Surfer came out and forgot to change him over?

Comments

• FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    No. At the 5* level there are 3 different sets of match damage. (Tank (OML), Regular (SS), Support (PHX) internally D3 calls them something else but I can't remember what Ice called them). It's so the Hood's of the 5* tier (if they ever exist) won't be so ridiculously tanky and force people to underlevel them.
  • All three Epic characters have different match damage. Phoenix has the lowest and Logan the highest.

It's definitely intentional. If you check Logan's topic in character discussion, there's a note from the devs saying that he's "assault tier".
  • Acratin
    Acratin Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Wouldn't mind seeing this design philosophy spread through old stuff too.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Acratin wrote:
    wouldn't mind seeing this officially posted instead of privileged information shared with "worthy players"
  • DrLemniscate
    DrLemniscate Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Acratin wrote:

I think the general 5* design philosophy is where they want the game to eventually look like. Match damage matters, and is taken in to account for balancing, but not so much that you are playing bejeweled. wouldn't be surprised if 4* and 3* got a big buff to match damage.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    fmftint wrote:
    Acratin wrote:
    wouldn't mind seeing this officially posted instead of privileged information shared with "worthy players"

It should be buried somewhere in the massive Line Q&A recap thread from many, many moons ago. Of course I never actually read through the thing since I was on Line so maybe it's not in there.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Acratin wrote:

It should be buried somewhere in the massive Line Q&A recap thread from many, many moons ago. Of course I never actually read through the thing since I was on Line so maybe it's not in there.
    You pretty much reinforced my point...