Recommendations on Loki/Hood

Warbringa
Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in Roster and Level Help
So I will get my final Loki green cover I need in a few days. I am also finishing leveling up Classic Mags within the next week or two (currently he is level 135). I know I want to level up both Loki and Hood since they can be useful in different situations for both PvE and PvP however I remember reading somewhere that it may be best to keep them under leveled due to tanking, which makes sense to me. Loki's abilities are completely independent of level and Hood's are yellow and black are level dependent, but let's face it, his blue is why you bring Hood to the game. So since most of my 3* characters I play are 166, does it make sense to level each of them to let's say 140? or should I go higher to 150? Both are somewhat squishy so I see the point in keeping them lower to tank. Is there a good reason to level them to 166? I see a lot of rosters with people maxing them out and I am not sure of the big benefit of doing so, am I missing something here?

Comments

• madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I would go ahead and max them out. The only reason you want to keep them lower is for PVE so they don't tank their colors. If you are doing any kind of PVP, you want them maxed for HP.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    The hit points for these guys for every ten levels is only 500 (Hood) and 600 (Loki) though. I can see maybe to level 150 for the hit point part of it but isn't tanking colors important for PvP though? 500 or 600 health is nothing when you are facing level 166+ teams consistently like I am. I can save health packs in PvP by having my tanks take the damage instead of Hood and Loki for example. I do both PvE and PvP, although lately I have been concentrating more on PvE.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    From a PVP standpoint, it will actually be more than that though because how often are you running those characters in PVP when they aren't boosted? If I have a choice of going against your lower level toons versus a maxed character, I'm going for yours all day long because it will save me healthpack.png .

If PVE is the bigger focus and you want to save healthpack.png then don't level them so your tank tanks the colors.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Warbringa wrote:
    The hit points for these guys for every ten levels is only 500 (Hood) and 600 (Loki) though. I can see maybe to level 150 for the hit point part of it but isn't tanking colors important for PvP though? 500 or 600 health is nothing when you are facing level 166+ teams consistently like I am. I can save health packs in PvP by having my tanks take the damage instead of Hood and Loki for example. I do both PvE and PvP, although lately I have been concentrating more on PvE.

Where those hp matter is mostly on defense, where the attacker gets to choose who's in front.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    There is a level where you can have your other 166 characters tank their colours even when they are boosted. As you said, hood and loki don't gain much hp per level anyway and a bit more hp or levels aren't going to save them on PvP defense. While hp and levels are used as a deterrent, honestly it doesn't matter if your loki and hood are max level or a bit underleveled. They're gonna get hit either way.

Keeping them underleveled gives you the benefit of flexibility in tank selection on PvP offense and PvE. Just my two cents.

Polarity's guide has some good info. Cut and pasted the relevant section below:
    What level should I level character X to?
    It might seem obvious to just level all your characters to 166, but leveling takes an intense amount of iso, and it turns out that you can still reap most of the benefits out of a character while spending a fraction of the iso, as leveling someone to 135 takes 60% of the iso needed to max someone out, and makes that character 80% as effective as its maxed counterpart, which is generally good enough for PvE and when the character is boosted for PvP. Here are some numbers that I recommend leveling 3* characters to (4*s are more complicated and I'll add that later maybe).

166 - The obvious one, level all your guys that you will constantly use in PvP / PvE.

For when you want your character to be a strong PvP defensive deterrent and usable in a PvE B team even when not boosted -
    137 - This gets your character above level 200 when major boosted in a PvP (which is a big defensive deterrent), and allows that character to tank for your 166 characters when it is minor boosted in a PvE. Level your guys that you use only when boosted that you DO want tanking for other characters (She-Hulk, etc) when they are featured.
    135 - This gets your character above level 200 when major boosted in a PvP (which is a big defensive deterrent), and allows OTHER 166 characters to tank for your character when it is minor boosted in a PvE. Level your guys that you use only when boosted that you do NOT want tanking for other characters (squishies like Mohawk, etc) when they are featured.

For when you want your character to be an okay defensive deterrent in PvP.
    118 - This gets your character to 178 when featured in a PvP, which is when they tank for a level 270 4*. This is important for say the Daredevil tournament, as it makes opposing X-Forces surgical strike hit purple, which is a terrible color to use.
    114 - Doesn't tank for a 270 4*.
    112 - This gets your character to 168 when featured in a PvP, which allows them to tank for your other 166 3*s.
    110 - 165 boosted, so doesn't tank for your other 3*s.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tryke wrote:
    There is a level where you can have your other 166 characters tank their colours even when they are boosted. As you said, hood and loki don't gain much hp per level anyway and a bit more hp or levels aren't going to save them on PvP defense. While hp and levels are used as a deterrent, honestly it doesn't matter if your loki and hood are max level or a bit underleveled. They're gonna get hit either way.

Keeping them underleveled gives you the benefit of flexibility in tank selection on PvP offense and PvE. Just my two cents.
    I disagree. On PvP defense, every little bit of HP helps, particularly for nasty support pieces like Loki and Hood. The longer they live, they more they can slow you down. For every level they are missing they become a much more attractive target.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Quebbster wrote:
    I disagree. On PvP defense, every little bit of HP helps, particularly for nasty support pieces like Loki and Hood. The longer they live, they more they can slow you down. For every level they are missing they become a much more attractive target.

Your point is fair too. I just never seem to have issues attacking Lokis.

Hood is always a tossup based on board, but it is usually all or nothing with him as well. Either he screws me over entirely with blue passive or I just outright kill him because he has so little hp even when boosted.

Again, I think your argument is totally valid, but I personally prefer having them underleveled.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do you do better in Pvp or Pve when going for covers?

If you do better in PVE keep Id and loki low. If you do better in PvP level them to 166.