2015 MPQ Year in Review

Malcrof
Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So, crazy year in this game! Lots of happenings, both good and bad. What changes/additions/oops stand out to you from 2015?

Here is my list:

The Good:
Legendary Tokens
5* Characters
New boss battles and PVE's!
4* added to Shield Sim!
Ghost Rider!!
Command Points!
4* DDQ

The Bad:
IceIX you will be missed!
Still 20 iso...
Reed Richards...

Oops..
Ninja bug, because 300 attack tiles were fun right?
Something about tokens..
The fantastic 4 movie.. not mpq but counts..because we got reed because of it.

So, what do you remember about 2015 in MPQ? The Good, The Bad, and The Oops!

So, keep it clean and non attacking! Keep it to lists and not rants! If we can get some good responses, we can make a poll to see what wins in each category!

Remember these are everyone's own opinions, so agree or not, no need to comment on someone else's list, just make your own list! ok, Go!

Comments

• lymang
    lymang Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Malcrof wrote:
    So, crazy year in this game! Lots of happenings, both good and bad. What changes/additions/oops stand out to you from 2015?

Here is my list:

The Good:
    Legendary Tokens
    5* Characters
    New boss battles and PVE's!
    4* added to Shield Sim!
    Ghost Rider!!
    Command Points!
    4* DDQ

The Bad:
    IceIX you will be missed!
    Still 20 iso...
    Reed Richards...

Oops..
    Ninja bug, because 300 attack tiles were fun right?
    Something about tokens..
    The fantastic 4 movie.. not mpq but counts..because we got reed because of it.

Agree largely with your list, some additions of my own:

GOOD: Galactus is in MPQ now! Seriously I have always loved Galactus. Putting him into MPQ made my day.

BAD:
    4 * DDQ. Yes, I have it on both the good and bad lists. It did not turn out to be what was advertised (at all) but nevertheless, I have managed to get more legendary tokens as a result of it existing, so it's both good and bad.
    Minor bad: you left the alliance you invited me to. I know you had reasons but I was nevertheless sad.

Ooops:

The horrendous connectivity issues around the first Galactus event run. I can't even begin to express how frustrating that was.

Connectivity/server issues surrounding several other events during the year where I lost points/placing due to being completely unable to connect. Yes, I got some recompense, but the true things I lost are never to be known since I was locked out of a few events long enough that I couldn't complete them properly at all.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    https://youtu.be/YldH2rftqjI

Not much more needs to be said really.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    I started playing during last thanksgiving (2014). found my first post on Jan 15:
    TxMoose wrote:
    I have a wide variety of characters (27 total; 2-4*s and 2-1*s and the rest split between 2*s and 3*s), all in the 40-60 level range but none have enough covers to max. In PvP events I have discovered my best bet is to wait until the last hour and run through the computer teams (all level 1-20, with the featured character) and try and end the computer teams as close to the event ending as possible so I retain as much of the 240-250 pts as possible. After I finish with the computer teams, the supporting opponent character levels jump from ~20 to 94+ (many times maxed golds at 166). Are there no options to pairlesser teams with other lesser teams? Surely I'm not the only weaker non-maxed ** roster player in the game/slice. I would love to play against other comparable level teams but it seems I will never get that opportunity until I manage a level 94 pair.

My Thor/Daken is close (8/9 covers) but until I get the covers, I see little reason to expose anyone above the 60 level. That way whoever is free can tank hits for what little I'm able to play. I'm to the point now where I'm just saving ISO until I get a viable pair. Thoughts?

what a difference a year makes. I've enjoyed many things over the year and many of the positives also have drawbacks as well and don't have time to craft a long post so we'll just leave it at - happy new year!

edit: surprised nobody's posted one of the biggest on the good side ... the baker glut in the game icon_e_smile.gif love me some cupcakes (need a CC smilie)
  • Cabol
    Cabol Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Love the list.

I'm with lymang about 4* DDQ being in Good + Bad. I think it's great that it's there for people with established 4* rosters to have something new to aim for, but the way it was communicated (more on that later) left a lot of people pissed since people thought this would help the 3* to 4* transition instead of the 4* to 5* transition.

I think Galactus can be in all 3 categories. Good because run #2 was a lot of fun, Bad because of how unecessarily difficult run #1 was (and how a lot people got hosed out of 4Clops because of it), and Ugly because of the server issues at the beginning of both events (although much better recovery for run #2).

I think forum communication can be listed under Ugly because for a while when a problem arose, the devs let the inmates run the asylum until it was pure chaos and then stepped in. Communication has improved since then, but there was a lot of venom on the forums for a long time frame.

I also think the new PvE structure should be listed under Good. Now there's more opportunities for 3* and 4* covers (Top 20 for 4* covers, top 200 for 3* covers) + legendary tokens being added to the progression rewards is great.
  • Good
    5*
    1/4 of the new chars

Bad
    -5*
    -3/4 of the new char(chulk,mr fan, teen Jean, teen iceman etc etc yes I know some are useful but of the 8k char in the marvel u who places these as most important?)
    -galactus-1000k posts throughout forum.
    -rngesus
    -All the retiring players due to aforementioned

Oops
    -rngesus
    -connectivity issues with every new event
  • I'd say my good can also be viewed as bad depending on your angle.

I stopped playing. Outside of the deadpool dailies & that new Hulk event...last time I played was the anniversary and even then it was beginning to feel like a chore.

I can feel malcrof glaring at me for this post being too negative so I'll give some all positive things as well.

Jean Grey was good. One of my favorite character's and she is awesome to play with excellent character art.
    The star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png obviously since I'll never get to use the other one ! (Couldn't resist icon_lol.gif )
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    In addition to what others have mentioned, for the good I think we should single out the 4* release PVE events, such as Ant-Man's & Totally Awesome Hulk. The characters themselves aren't top tier, but the events were a great way to give access to new characters. Otherwise, the introduction of DDQ for 3*'s and the Ultron/Galactus events were my 2015 highlights.

The biggest bad of the year would be that 5* availability is entirely luck-based. I'm still a long way from having a remotely viable 4* roster, but it seems strange that I almost need to start collecting 5*'s now, as even if they hurt my scaling there's no way to guarantee anything in the future.

Happy New Year, everyone!
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    Good
    5*s ended up working pretty well, for now at least
    Better balance for 3*/4* players
    Short Ant-Man and Cho Hulk PVEs

Bad
    4* overload
    Vision, Mr. Fantastic
    Rag nerf
    that ridiculous boss battle where you only had 3 or 4 turns before death
    Rubber-banding in PVP still exists
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2015
    Good:
    Legendary tokens- 5* aren't even a consideration to me yet, but I've received more 4* tokens since these debuted, and I can finally say I have working 4* roster (though with lots of room to grow) UPDATE: Adding CP 's to this point.
    4DDQ - I've really enjoyed these (with the odd exception - I'm looking at you, Starlord/Gamora). Part of the fun was just coming to the forum to speculate/discuss/argue/complain each week. I kinda hope they mix up the opponents int he new rotation, just to continue that aspect.
    All New X-men - This game may be one of the few places the X-men still get some Marvel love. All New Jean Grey and Iceman are great, Prof X is great support and even though I hate hate hate that 90's costume, 4*Cyclops seems pretty good too.
    Galactus & Ultron - Old favorite baddies given their respective dues. I avoid alliances generally but having them an alliance only threat made sense.
    Antman movie - Gave us fun 4*, not top tier, but a fun one when in the right group. And the movie was great too.
    Character Specific Intro events - Antman's and Cho Hulk's were great. Even Venom Bomb was fun as an intro (though not as much as those other two, follow that model more)

Bad:
    Starlord vs Gamora - It's going to take a James Gunn directed sequel to make me look at you two the same way again.
    Complainers going to complain - I'm not apologizing for the real mistakes the game and the devs have made this year ("You're supposed to lose!" & Exploitgate), but when people complain about discount sales and there being snowflakes on the intro loading screen, it's gotten out of hand.
    Old Man Logan is a 5* - Really? I mean, seriously? You're going to put him right there next to two characters who have played a part in destroying whole worlds? I realize actual power stature isn't a factor in these levels (hello 4* Miles), but COME ON. Had they not finalized Benedict Cumberbatch's look yet for the new Dr Strange movie?
    We need more villains - I know they don't sell like the heroes but we're so tried of facing the same Dark Avengers over and over and over....

Ugly:
    Capt Marvel Art hasn't been changed yet - I'm talking about that main face and shoulders image used when she's at the front of the team. I thought I had gotten used to that grotesque sneer-twisted visage there but then it popped up full screen in one of the Venom Bomb cut scenes. I was happier to see Carnage and his Amazing AP Feeding Friends.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    The Good:
    - Plenty of fun new characters
    - Tons of improved rewards (4* in shield sim, 4* for top 100 alliance award in new character pve, the recent pve placement buff, etc)
    - The community
    - The birth of cupcakes and working co-cooperatively to succeed
    - Periodic Dev video updates
    - 4* ddq
    - capping roster slot costs at 1000hp
    - 5*'s are useful with very few covers (makes me wish it was this way for all tiers)

The Bad:
    - Poorly balanced new characters (too many 'meh' characters that have no impact in pvp or pve)
    - 5*'s being based on RNG without any means of addressing bad luck (IE: Your odds of pulling a 5* is 10% the first time, then 20%, 30, 40..until you pull one and then it resets. Alternatively a crafting system of some kind).
    - 5* MMR matches the 4* MMR but with a VERY TINY pool of players which sucks the fun out of PvP while utterly destroying your roster diversity.
    - Strict forum moderation (forums have become less fun this year so I naturally visit and post much less frequently).

Oops..
    - Initial Launch of Galactus
    - Initial Launch of Ultron
    - Failure to proactively address a known exploit proactively before it became a major concern to players
    - 20 ISO. I can't imagine making nodes give out the 4 rewards first then giving out 20 ISO from then on would be time consuming to implement as a placeholder solution to your intended change. Something like this would make a WORLD of difference to your players and yet we remain dissatisfied with the system for well over a year.
    - 5*'s impact on scaling in PvE for non-vets
    - ISO values in the storefront STILL hasn't changed to reflect the changing state of the game. At this point its not only an embarrassment but it feels like negligence to deliberately rip off suckers who fall for it. ISO storefront values are a beginners trap which completely disrespects your player bases hard earned money. If a 4* costs $100 to cover max why does it cost $400 to ISO max? That's not to say that $200.00 to max out a single 4* is good value but it's leagues ahead of what we have now.