A PvE Guide For Beginners (updated 21st April 2017)

Options
2»

Comments

• phiwalker
    phiwalker Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    gotcha, thank you for clarifying.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Edited for clarity, as per phiwalker's question about what constitutes a full clear.

Spatenfloot, have I left any references to 8 hour timers in the guide? I thought I'd removed all of them.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only relic I see is a reference to double tapping in the section called "Hey, I'm playing optimally, how come these guys have so many more points than I?".

Double tapping isn't a thing anymore so this is more accurately described as doing more than the 4 initial clears or going for check marks and not playing optimally.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    Edited for clarity, as per phiwalker's question about what constitutes a full clear.

Spatenfloot, have I left any references to 8 hour timers in the guide? I thought I'd removed all of them.
    I don't see any, but he may have read an earlier version or another guide which referenced it. I DID notice it still refers to 7 clears in a few places which no longer applies anywhere as far as I know. Thanks for taking the time to write all that and edit it.
  • morph3us
    Options
    Thanks, Stoch and Spaten. I've removed the double tapping reference, and added in overgrinding instead.

The 7 clear reference just refers to the end of sub grind, where you do 3 clears to 1 point at the end of a sub, and immediately do another 4 clears at the beginning of a new sub.
  • spatenfloot
    Options
    Yeah, but there are only 2 clears left at the end now. So that would be 6.
  • morph3us
    Options

That's two clears to no rewards left. There's one more clear for no more rewards to 1, I think. I may be wrong on this, though.icon_razz.gif If so, happy to be corrected.
  • spatenfloot
    Options
    morph3us wrote:

That's two clears to no rewards left. There's one more clear for no more rewards to 1, I think. I may be wrong on this, though.icon_razz.gif If so, happy to be corrected.
    Apparently you are correct! Guess I've never been hardcore enough to play nodes for no reward.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So... Assuming player A and player B.
    Player A did 4/6 on every node as soon as the event started, came back after 8-10 hours, did 5/6 and just before the end did his/her 6/6.

Player B did 5/6 as soon as event started and just before the end, 6/6.

All things being equal, A gets the most points right? But is it a very big difference?

Almost a year playing this game and Iam still trying to figure it out!

Also... What the tinykitty are these slices i keep reading about??
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Skrofa wrote:
    So... Assuming player A and player B.
    Player A did 4/6 on every node as soon as the event started, came back after 8-10 hours, did 5/6 and just before the end did his/her 6/6.

Player B did 5/6 as soon as event started and just before the end, 6/6.

All things being equal, A gets the most points right? But is it a very big difference?

Almost a year playing this game and Iam still trying to figure it out!

Also... What the tinykitty are these slices i keep reading about??

Once you start the timer every additional clear adds 24h. Additionally, the overall points go down by 1/3 of the max points of the node and it is a constant rate of refresh of the points.

Let's let C be the value of a full clear. Also, let's assume there are only standard nodes whose timers start on 4 clears and that 3 clears reduce the points to 1.

So in your example, at time 0 PlayerA has nodes that are worth 2/3 of the overall total and 4C points, PlayerB has nodes that are worth 1/3 of the overall total and has 14/3 * C points (4 and 2/3).

For simplicity lets say player A hits nodes at the 8hour mark. That is 1/3 of the regeneration cycle. Since a full cycle gives 1/3 of the total points that means that PlayerA has let 1/9 * C points regenerate back across all nodes. The nodes are then worth 7/9 * C. At this time PlayerA has (4 + 7/9) * C points, PlayerB has (4 + 6/9) * C points and both players have nodes that are worth 4/9 * C.

The last clear will be worth the same amount of points as the refreshes are synced.

Player A has gained a total of 1/9 * C points by doing the clears this way.

To put that in concrete terms, if there were two players that actually used these two methods to clear the nodes in HoD PlayerA would end up with a total of 1318 more points than PlayerB.

To answer your other question, slices are just the different end times. S1 being the one that ends first, S5 the one that ends last.
  • Skrofa
    Skrofa Posts: 388 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    perfect! Thanks!
  • morph3us
    Options
    Updated with the new data about node minimums, and minor tweaks to update information about Heroic events, and boss events.  I was tossing  up adding in Boss Rush, but I can't see that event being run again anytime soon.