How stupid is it to trash 4 star characters?

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Just wasted 25 command points on a totally awesome hulk. I both don't care about this character in terms of usability or likability, does it matter if I just scrap this worthless cover? I didn't even bother with that inferno event so this is my first one. The only other 4 star I've ever trashed is starlord for numerous reasons, is it idiotic to ever get rid of them?

Comments

• Eh, if you got a roster spot, the guy'll eventually be useful for PVE essentials and 4* DDQ regardless of how much he may or may not suck, and it's way easier to draw a 2* essential when needed over a 4* one.

Ho much you value those things determines if you should trash em or not.
  • Buying character slots is how you progress in the game. By design. You need a diverse roster for any number of reasons and every occasion you don't have a needed character makes the road to higher echelons of the game more difficult. Chulk might not be very good, but rostering not very good characters (3 and 4 stars) is how the game is played.

Eventually, all must submit before the altar of 1000hp roster slots.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my opinion with the way things are going 4* are eventually going to be the required characters in PVP, and this game is about collecting and progressing. You can't progress without all he characters because they are essential too often and with 4* DPDQ you are giving up the opportunity to win another legendary token.
    Overall I would not recomend selling a 4* unless you are just starting the game and don't have roster slots. You will be fine for now not having star lord or Cho, but when a character comes out and they are essential you will feel the pain. If PVP switches to 4* essentials you will feel the pain in their PVP events. Not having a character just makes things harder in the future
  • At one point I was all "I don't have all the 3*s left but all I need now are bottom tier guys like Quicksilver and Spiderman or whatever"

Now, I'm honestly oddly relieved I didn't get a Miles Moralas or Venom cover, so I can continue collecting bad 3*s.

I'm at the point where I don't want to open any tokens until I got my 750 HP needed for that next roster slot, despite having and needing many covers.

I don't know if it's a good choice but it's one that'd help eliminate this gosh darn Quicksilver-is-always-essential problem.
  • I've sold three 4 star covers so far because I didn't have roster slots for them. For two I didn't care at all, but the third was a nick fury cover.
    still building my 3 star characters, so couldn't afford to sell something just for 1 fury cover when it would take several months until his next cover.
    but that's the game, the core game makes you want to collect everything, then everything else around it is trying to prevent you from collecting.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I sold a She-Thor cover a while back to make room for someone else, and now that I'm actually getting her covers in daily drops, I kind of regret that.

I had debated dropping Cholk, but came to my senses and just bought a roster spot instead.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope sell em. Not stupid.

People do advocate for keeping slots for **** characters but this is my argument.

If I collect 13 reeds, even if 4's get boosted he'll be bad and lose to an unboosted jean, Thing, Iceman, Hulkbuster, Cyclops (yes even the 3 star), Doom, New Spidey, 4 Pool, Probably even 4thor and Xforce.

So essentially he becomes a cost to me. I'm not a collectathon type person. I don't mind selling off a 'rare' cover. They'll never boost him enough or change his moves enough to match the ones above or the 5 stars, or future 5 stars. So why bother.

To solidify my personal stance, notice no one recommends keeping every 2 star on your roster until you just have tons of excess HP. People rarely keep 1 stars aside from juggs around even though many find themselves boosted sometimes for 2 weeks in a row.

The games past the point of gotta catch em all, especially with how the tiered metas operate. Some characters are just too bad for their rarity to be taken into factor. And the tiers are being flooded too hard. There are 25 4 stars right now. you can get away with 3-6 and you have the best there is.

Totally awesome hulk is so forgettable that I recently listed all the poor 4 star releases recently and forgot he existed.
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    Sell it and don't look back. Save the HP for something better. The only scenario i was screwed with not having a 4* is during a new character release but it's not the end of the world, even if the new toon was top-tier.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you get good enough, you can earn over 1000 hp every two weeks. At that point, you can always afford to purchase new roster slots. Just keep it.
  • You can sell whoever you want, refuse to roster whoever you want, the world and the game will go on.

The list of characters I don't roster is up to 21 now. And yes it includes 4*s. And yes, I have had covers for all of them. Had most of them rostered and fully covered at some point.

Taking on questionable characters isn't worth the further dilution of your resources and effort.

You can always snag an essential in the leadup to an event ... well, the 2*s and 3*s anyway! ... and hit 1K in PVP dragging a loaner.

Don't drag the slag. icon_lol.gif

Ha, I was just a little bitter because I recently, finally hit 1000hp per slot. After reading everyone's comments, I've reconsidered. The game makes riding the very edge of the character release schedule attractive to members of top alliances, where missing LTs and essential node characters damage one's ability to maintain that edge in the future. But if you're not a crazy person who is at that point, TAH/MF/Falcap/etc are probably not necessary characters to have.

I started playing MPQ pretty early on and quit for 6 months before getting pulled back in. I came back to all these new characters and right when DDQ was coming out. It felt really painful missing out on easy opportunities like DDQs during that period, but in retrospect all of it is pretty illusory.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    I despise having to sell anyone, but when I do, it's always 1* Spidey or 2* Marvel / America / Touch.

You can rebuild them LITERALLY in less than one day of Lightning Rounds.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    What a day. I trashed that hulk, devil dinosaur (2 cover build) and the invisible woman I just got.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    20three wrote:
    Just wasted 25 command points on a totally awesome hulk. I both don't care about this character in terms of usability or likability, does it matter if I just scrap this worthless cover? I didn't even bother with that inferno event so this is my first one. The only other 4 star I've ever trashed is starlord for numerous reasons, is it idiotic to ever get rid of them?

The answer depends on what type of player you are.

If you want to seriously compete in literally every story event then no it isn't stupid to trash useless 4*. If you want to compete in versus events then you really only need the top tier characters and hope that the loaner can carry you through.

The wildcard is the 4* DDQ and just how badly you want that weekly token.
  • jigawatt
    jigawatt Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    I'm pretty new to the game, but at this point I figure to try to keep at least one cover available for every 3 and 4 star for Essentials. When pve is offering full covers for 3 and 4 star card that you care about, you're gonna need all 3 essentials for top placement for the 4* you want, or at least 2 essentials to get the 3* fully covered. Any duplicates I get for these placeholders I just sell off immediately, the rest of the roster should be able to carry the minimum level 3/4* essential.

what sucks is these 2* essentials. i mean really wth I'm saving my hp to mini-whale (calf?) 3* covers not make room for 2* essentials.