Upgrading 5* covers with CP

I'm not sure if there's any discussion about this yet, but I personally feel that at that cost, it takes way too long to amass that much so there's no way I'm spending all that CP to up a skill.

I mean, come on. 720cp = 28.8 LT's.

Maybe I'm just a gambler lol.

Perhaps those who put yes or maybe as their choice can explain their reasoning. I might be swayed to stock up that CP if there's a compelling one.

*edit: I am referring to those who are not from an alliance which spends regularly to gain large amounts of cp. I'm instead referring to those who earn their cp through event rewards. with a stark thrown in every once in a while.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Voted may be.

If I am lacking in the final cover of Phoenix and OML, and I have 720 CP, I may just buy it with the CP.

But 99% of the time I would just use the token.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Also voted maybe.. if let's say my phoenix is 12 covered and I just need that very last cover, I think I would not leave it to luck of the draw because I may spend even more than 28.8 LTs

If like right now, my phoenix is 1 covered, LT all the way!
  • And whales tend to run in packs, if you know what I mean. For such a player, 720 CP is not quite the princely sum it seems to me, much less the OP.

I might've forgot to list this clause in the OP: "if you're not a spender or from a huge spender alliance"

There, done now~
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted Maybe. If I had a bunch of fully covered 4*s I would consider it.
  • It makes me sad to say yes. But rngesus is equally depressing. At this point I can't recall my exact stats since my last 5* pull. But like many others I have endured 0/40+, more than 1x. I don't have a single completed 5*, or even my preferred spread for covers on 1/3. Yet I started a 4th simply because I couldn't bear to part with the 6th cover I received of a given(IMHO questionable) colour. 720cp should be ~3 leg covers, but with rngesus it could be 0.
  • I voted no, but honestly I would probably do it if I needed 1 or 2 specific covers to max a 5*.
  • donietsche
    donietsche Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    voted maybe, even if I believe that the price for buying the cover should be adjusted (i.e., lowered: around 500 could be reasonable).
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Voted no for same reasons. My pulls have been better than 1/30 so far.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I exchanged for six LTs in the past, and I have enough CPs to turn in seven more right now. Most points were from hard grinding for t10 pve placement, but the recently ended sales gave me enough points for one LT as well.

At this point, I think I would rather have the SURE THING and exchange cps for a 5 star.png cover rather than pray for LT luck in pulling one. Hence, I voted "yes" in the poll.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    99.9% of us aren't supposed to. This is meant as a whale-only option.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I might one day, if I reach a point where my odds of getting a useful 4* cover (as in "don't have already," regardless of character quality) are equal to or less than my chances of a 5*. Even then, I might just hoard since it takes so bloody long to get 720 CP.

This is also not taking into account any future uses for CP that might come up.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I'd guess that the only situation where it would be rational to spend the CP on a cover is where you've already maxed out the full 4* tier and have one of each color for all the 5*s. Then, it might be more rational to purchase the cover you need directly rather than wait for RNGsus to look kindly upon you.
  • Just want to add:

They're going to release more 5* characters, but not increase their 10% of the odds as a Legendary Token.

So if you don't want the eventual BagSurfer or whatever derogatory name we have for Bad 5*s, it may be safer to just save them up.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    Just want to add:

They're going to release more 5* characters, but not increase their 10% of the odds as a Legendary Token.

So if you don't want the eventual BagSurfer or whatever derogatory name we have for Bad 5*s, it may be safer to just save them up.
    or, if you prefer a 3.33% chance of one of the current 3 instead of a 1.67% of 6 or so, might want to pull now. token character dilution is part of what is so frustrating about the 4*s in LTs. I plan on opening them as soon as whatever is announced and continuing. if I want a chance at a usable OML or any jean any time soon, I think the time to do it is before the next one comes out.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe if you're thinking way ahead, beyond thunderdome to the point were you can see the vast wasteland that used to be MPQ and now everyone has a fully covered 5* roster bar 2 or 3 covers...yes it will be worth saving up and yes in this desolate iso starved landscape 720cp will be super super cheap to the the ONE cover you need.

Assuming you don't place high enough to earn CP (like me and many others) then your CP income is restricted to grinding nodes (2 cp per sub - average of probably 8 per event) and daily re-supply. I'm not much of a banker but it would take a loooooong time to save up 720 CP no matter how cheap that price is and the only people who will be able to save up that CP will be people who place high enough to earn it...guess who they are? Indeed the very people who have well covered 5* rosters anyway. Enabling them to cruise off into the dusty sunset after their inevitable victory leaving the rest of us underfunded thugs back at thunderdome scrabbling for the chainsaw just to have even a 1% chance and praying that we aren't one of the two men entering opposite Mr 5*.... because we know which one man will leave with that CP in that scenario...
  • puppychow

Assuming you don't place high enough to earn CP (like me and many others) then your CP income is restricted to grinding nodes (2 cp per sub - average of probably 8 per event) and daily re-supply. I'm not much of a banker but it would take a loooooong time to save up 720 CP no matter how cheap that price is and the only people who will be able to save up that CP will be people who place high enough to earn it...guess who they are? Indeed the very people who have well covered 5* rosters anyway. Enabling them to cruise off into the dusty sunset after their inevitable victory leaving the rest of us underfunded thugs back at thunderdome scrabbling for the chainsaw just to have even a 1% chance and praying that we aren't one of the two men entering opposite Mr 5*.... because we know which one man will leave with that CP in that scenario...

One of my mates saw a message in a line chatroom from a super whale looking to form a buyers club---at $1,000 buy in per member. That's TEN STARKS. If the club does happen, then each member will get 1,400 cps.

I wish I was a high roller like these guys. icon_lol.gif Since I'm not, I have to earn my cp the old fashioned way--grinding pve nodes.
  • Voted no because I will NEVER get 720 cp without breaking multiple federal laws or D3 massively upping the distribution.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    At this point, any 13-cover 5* build is a massive resource. I just can't see spending that kind of resource bank to get to a specific build, especially with more 5* characters coming along eventually.

What will suck is if you have a 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 In any order) 5* character, because that's when you're really unlikely to fill them out from tokens. But even then, you can level them to at least 420, and they're a massive powerhouse anyway -- for now. All this could change as the meta shifts, but if that happens they also need to give top-tier players ways to get CP more quickly.

If the gain rate on CP improves for players in the very high 4* to 5* arena, then answers to this poll will change a lot.
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    I think I'd rather have a shot at earning new 5* character covers than saving up my CP. It's a major test of willpower to just hoard CP and I don't know if I could pass that test. Maybe if I was down to the last couple covers for a specific character, but otherwise, I doubt it. I can't even save up 300 tacos for the DDQ vault -- how am I going to be able to save 720 CP without pulling the trigger? I'm not sure I have the willpower, even if it is the rational thing to do.
  • puppychow
    dan54321 wrote:
    I think I'd rather have a shot at earning new 5* character covers than saving up my CP. It's a major test of willpower to just hoard CP and I don't know if I could pass that test. Maybe if I was down to the last couple covers for a specific character, but otherwise, I doubt it. I can't even save up 300 tacos for the DDQ vault -- how am I going to be able to save 720 CP without pulling the trigger? I'm not sure I have the willpower, even if it is the rational thing to do.

you need more training, grasshopper. icon_mrgreen.gif