Bug: Cruel Revival (Black, Spell)

Options
Card reads:
"Destroy target non-zombie creature and the last Zombie you controlled that was destroyed is Returned to your hand"

In reality, the card is never able to be used. Even if the zombie I had from Undead Servant dies the present turn or the previous turn, the conditions for the card never activate and I am not able to use the card.

Comments

• It requires you to have an actual black zombie card (not token) that has been destroyed, and that you have an empty slot in your hand.
  • Pandabear is right. Nevertheless, the card should then be more specific, especially since cards do not have creature types listed.

And if this is also the case that the card prerequisite is that you have a zombie which has died, then the card itself is too narrow.
  • Yes, it is an extremely hard to use spell (I think I used it once before dropping it) that costs way too much. I would think it should have its mana cost lowered.

For what its worth, the reason the text works the way it does is because of how graveyards work in magic - tokens are technically put into the graveyard then immediately removed (iirc...that ruling may have changed so that tokens simply leave play and don't trigger enter graveyard).

A "res" like cruel revival requires a card to actually be present in the graveyard to work.
  • Use Lili's discard to pitch a zombie so you can use it.

Fleshbag Marauder, Nantuko Husk, Possessed Skaab, Returned Centaur, Shambling Ghoul and Undead Servant are zombies.
  • EDL666
    EDL666 Posts: 73
    Options
    I'm just gonna point out that the card text is plain wrong and I understand how it works because I know about original Magic workings and tokens and zones... But this game doesn't seem to have a graveyard(it obviously does), there aren't any cards mentioning it and token interactions are completely unintuitive to anyone who has never encountered such mechanics. Furthermore, the fact that you can just discard a zombie with her ability to be able to cast the spell is just another example that the text should be reworded(or the card's condition changed to match the text).
  • WINGSPANTT
    Options
    Just posting to agree, the way the card is worded is confusing AND underpowered.

In real Magic you wouldn't NEED to have a dead zombie in order to use this card, interpreted as written. In addition the card is just so narrow that it's basically impossible to use.
  • DrChinnery
    Options
    I want to agree with the "narrow" definition that is being used for this card. I just got it in a booster and immediately took out "scour from existence" and replaced it with "Cruel" since the wording suggests that it can destroy non-zombies with the perk of getting a zombie back for eight mana, a four mana savings. As it is it is pretty much useless except for a very zombie focused deck and even then it seems like a poor use of the ten slots available.