Orbs of Warding is overpowered

Options
pressatobegin
pressatobegin Posts: 20
Support cards generally seem pretty useless, but Orbs of Warding is infuriating to play against. Especially with 1-power creatures (creatures always attack) and Psychic Rebuttal, meaning that blue decks vs Orbs is a bad time.

It wouldn't be so bad if it only healed for 1, or if it prevented some damage instead of healing, or if it was easier to destroy (starts at 5).

Comments

• Yes Orbs is powerful against low casting power creatures, but it's not overpowered in my opinion. It just forces you to reconsider your deck design for that particular matchup, either play more high power creatures, or have your deck be more flexible by packing support destroying cards (if available) I find cards such as Demonic Pact or Jace's Sanctum to be much more annoying.
  • Its entire point is to stop early aggro decks (like Nissa's starting deck).

I think it does its job well.
  • Once you get a handful of uncommons which average at anywhere from 3 to 5 power, Orbs of Warding becomes much less of an issue. IT still slows you down heavily but no longer nets positive health to the enemy. Chandra and Nissa, the two most affected by it, both have efficient Support removal.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    It is a powerful card. I feel like the cost is appropriate, 14 is not cheap. However I feel like 5 charges is a bit much, it should probably be 3 or 4. Red and Green decks both have effective counters against it.
  • Alhammerits archive and orbs of warding is the game changer, I have both those cards, and once you get them out your pretty much invincible.
  • As far as I can tell Alhammaret's doesn't work with Orb of Warding.

That was one of the first things I tried to. If it does work, it doesn't seem to display correctly. Still only gain 2 life.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    Rpills wrote:
    Alhammerits archive and orbs of warding is the game changer, I have both those cards, and once you get them out your pretty much invincible.

If I cast 26 mana worth of spells I better be winning the game regardless of what cards I've played.

At 14 mana Orbs of Warding is a garbage tier rare and the archive at 12 isn't much better (though it is better than most of these unplayable 25+ mana mythics). Neither of them actually do anything to hurt your opponent or interact with his board at all. All they do is delay him killing you. For 26 mana most players can cast 1-3 non-terrible creatures and kill you easily. To be honest, the only time I think this combo would be useful is for achievement hunting.

For 11 mana you could cast the 3/3 white uncommon creature with lifelink and renown:2 and use Gideon's 3 mana planeswalker ability every turn do both damage the opponent AND heal yourself.

Anyways, there are certainly overpowered cards in MtG:PQ but Orbs of Warding is definitely not one of them and not by a long shot.
  • pressatobegin
    Options
    Is everyone just loaded up with far better cards than I have? Trying to beat a deck casting Orbs in story mode was a miserable experience for me. I think it was the end of Chapter One that had a matchup like that, and I couldn't get past it until I opened new cards and took all of the 1-power stuff out of my deck.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    Most of the mid to late game decks cannot be easily beat with starter decks/cards. The orbs may seem overpowered if your deck is full of 1/1 and 2/2 creatures. If you need more cards, try some of the easier bonus objectives in chapter 1 to buy some cards. Thanks to getting 50 runes every time you lose a PvE match, it's impossible to get stuck in this game.
  • Galadrial
    Galadrial Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Demolish is orbs of warding's (and any other support I guess) kryptonite. But it's Chandra only I think. Also, I think it's useful, but not a game changer and it's not too often I don't have something in my hand I would rather cast.. But yeah, If I were fighting against it with low powered creatures I would get frustrated. The card is a rare, need to use rares against it. Which makes me think of another off topic thing I have noticed and which makes me lose any interest in pvp. You can take any low level plainswalker, buff them up with high level cards, and win battles all day long. The rankings list is not really anything about who has the best hand and plays it the best, it's about who is willing to do the most grinding. I hope we get new content soon, this is a really cool game.
  • Galadrial wrote:
    The rankings list is not really anything about who has the best hand and plays it the best, it's about who is willing to do the most grinding.

That is how every mobile game works.

How do you expect it to work? Players should be rewarded for getting better cards.

An possible system would be to have "deck points" that rise as your planeswalker gains higher levels. Higher power cards cost more points. But that isn't really how mtg works, and it isn't how PQ works.

Another system would be to use the deck points, but you can enroll yourself in different "tiers" of decks. So low power tier, mid power tier, and high power tier. THe higher tiers have better rewards, but all tiers have a cap on the number of high power cards you can have/total deck power.
  • Galadrial
    Galadrial Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Assuming pvp, I would expect some ranking based on skill rather than grinding. Marvel Puzzle Quest is a good model. You start playing and the more points you score, the higher you climb in rankings. The higher you rank, the tougher it gets. When you get attacked you lose points if you don't win. You play against the ai, but the decks are actual player decks. If you're at the top, you can't play low level cards and get a low level team much less a low level team that will give you the same reward as beating a high level team. My only point is the ranking system in this game might as well be a clock that represents how much time you're logged in. It's not competitve, challenging or interesting. It's definitely not like any kind of pvp I've ever seen in any mobile game I've played.
  • But MPQ your deck goodness is decided entirely based on your covers.

The actual pvp is a mindless "who is able to spend the most resources to win" kind of thing. I mean once you graduate from newbie tier, you will be decimated mercilessly.

In MtG at least you have a chance of winning based on strategic play, rather than simply be grinded down on hero hp's because regardless of what you do heroes will take damage, and tons of it.

IIRC MPQ only has two brackets, the whale bracket and the newbie bracket. As soon as you get out of newbie bracket expect to lose and lose hard.