Roster question - Who to build and who to retire?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I'm currently in the transition from a * roster to a ** roster and I have some questions as to who I should keep, who I should retire, and who I should pump the hell out of.

Current roster-

** Daken - Lvl 61 5-4
* IM35 - Lvl 50 5-4-4
* Storm Modern - Lvl 50 4-5-4
*** Magneto Classic - Lvl 41 3-1-0
** Storm Classic - Lvl 37 2-3-2
** Moonstone - Lvl 38 2-0-5
* Juggernaut - Lvl 33 5-5
* Black Widow Modern - Lvl 28 5-5
** Thor - Lvl 22 2-2-1
** Cap - Lvl 22 1-2-2
** OBW - Lvl 16 1-2-1
*** Loki - Lvl 15 1-0
*** Hood - Lvl 15 0-0-1
*** Punisher - Lvl 15 0-1-0
*** IM40 - Lvl 15 0-1-0
*** Hulk - Lvl 15 0-0-1

I have the following in rewards-

** Magneto Marvel Now - 2-1-0
*** Ragnarok 1-0
** Wolverine Astonishing 1-2-2 (will get more covers from simulator event and prologue)
** Bullseye 1-0
*** Wolverine Patch 0-0-1
** Hawkeye Modern 1-0-0

My big questions at this point deal with roster management, as I would like to figure out which of these rewards to keep before they expire and, if so, which covers they bump.

I will definitely put Wolverine on my roster at the next opportunity and pump the **** out of his level, as I figure a 1-2 punch of him and Daken can do some damage.

Past that, it's a matter of figuring out whether to keep various *** covers which are sitting at level 15 or to use the stuff in the rewards queue such as Magneto or Hawkeye which are more likely to get used in the immediate future.

As far as my current roster goes, my go-to team is Daken and Storm Modern right now with Juggernaut, IM35, etc., acting as tank or support depending on the scenario.

If/when I build up another tank to put alongside Daken, I can go ahead and dump Juggernaut.

Storm Classic, OBW, and Thor are ones I'd like to build up long-term, but I don't have the covers yet to do so as they are all cover-maxed at the moment.

I don't have a plan on what ***s to use long-term past Magneto, but that's a matter of opportunity as much as anything. I figure that Hulk and IM40 have a spot, given that Hulk is a tank who uses green while IM40 is a powerhouse who can also generate tiles thanks to the recharge, but I'm less sure about Punisher, Loki, or Hood given that I don't think the powers I have for them right now are particularly useful.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Here's who i'd ditch, as well as what events they're usable/REQUIRED for (so you can consider not being able to participate).

Bullseye - Dark Avengers, Villian Tourneys. Not usable in some PVE.
    Modern Hawkeye - Avengers, The Hunt - On list to be buffed in the near future.
    Ragarok - Villain & Dark Avengers, Lightning Rounds - Nerfed recently, only 2 match colors, quite ineffective until higher levels, not usable in some PVE
    IM35 - 1* Tourney, Avengers related events - Quickly outclassed by most 2* characters with red damage abilities.
    Captain America - Avengers related events, Buffed in PVE often, great tile remover as 3/5/5, bad in PVP.
    Magneto Marvel Now - A weaker character, but i'd keep him if you can. 5 purple ability is GREAT for comboing with characters for PVE events.

Honestly, you need roster slots. I'd highly recommend dumping $5 - $20 and just buy roster slots.

If you can't, you're in for a tough decision. You could dump your 1*s, but they're effective for quite a while. My friend has been placing in top 4 reward categories in many tourneys and PVE events using IM35, M Storm, M Widow, and Juggernaut.

2* don't outclass them generally until level 50 or 60 (with some exceptions).

3* aren't as good as 2* until level 98 (with some exceptions).

As for who to keep? it's a tough call especially they way events are going it seems you will need a very diverse roster. Many PVE missions REQUIRE you to have a specific character, so when you don't have them, you can't even give it a try. These missions are optional, but when you are going for points and rewards, you want to do every mission. I definitely regretted not having all my characters at usable levels for this simulator event.
  • You need to make 2* Wolvy your new tank to replace Juggs.

A Wolvy/Daken/xxx team is pretty solid.

Keep Patch and ditch the rest of queue. I really don't like Captain America either, he's kind of like Modern Hawkeye .. decent when buffed, easily outshined when not.

Maybe keep Ragnorak if you have the cover space. But I don't really see him fitting in anywhere with your future.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You should be able to dump Juggs as a tank in favor of Wolvie (which you said you'll be getting a lot more covers for shortly). Something interesting that they're doing is requiring you to have the featured hero in the PvP tourneys (but providing you with a cover), so you definitely need to keep that in mind (you're safe with classic mags for now).

IM40 is surprisingly weak: you'll never use his blue, red drains AP for not enough extra damage, so you'd be using him mainly as tanky support for the recharge. For a player who hasn't transitioned into 3*s, I don't think he's a good character to pump iso into since he isn't essential to the team, unlike someone like Punisher or Hulk. While Hulk is a really good tank, he's even better as a defensive scarecrow: people hate attacking into high level hulks, and I feel like that is the main reason why he's so good: don't expect him to do much on offense or even use him on offense until you get to a point total where you're afraid of being attacked.

As for what to do about your other slots, I would consider dumping Loki for Patch, since Loki's use is very limited outside of Patch combo. You want roster versatility at this point, so I don't see Loki doing much for you. M. Hawkeye is a consideration in case they buff him for an upcoming tournament, but they'll probably hand out his covers in that event anyways. You could also consider dumping modern widow, but you probably still use her, and since 3* characters are still a long ways off for you, having a useless rag cover probably isn't worth it at this point in time (although it pays dividends in maybe a month).
  • I know he only tops out at 69, but I think Bullseye is way underrated by forum consensus. Spamming protect tiles will go a long way in both PvP and PvE, especially when coupled with oBW. She steals, he protects, she heals, he finishes (though usually by the time you have 16 black, the match should be over).
  • Update-

I got the last 50HP I needed this morning to put Wolvie on the roster and cover-maxed him to level 22 at 1-2-2. Once the simulator event closes and I go through the prologue missions, I can add between 4 and 6 more covers for him and get him close to maxed out. I figure I can dump Juggernaut when I get him over about level 60.

Since my Daken-Storm-Magneto Classic team for the Magneto tourney, and Daken-Storm-Hulk team for the simulator, are both cover-maxed for now, I'm banking my remaining ISO to pump Wolvie past level 22 when I get those covers.

Storm seems to be a better pair for Daken than Juggy because Storm's "Mistress Of The Elements" power, when combined with strike tiles, can mess someone up badly in addition to setting up further combos. She's only a defensive liability when picking up red tiles, but that can be covered up depending on who the third member of the team is.

I also ended up with an Ares cover from one of my tokens yesterday. If I get the space for him, I'll try to add him since he's murderously powerful when he gets maxed out.

I figure that, between my likely finishes in the Magneto tourney, the simulator, and various unfarmed HP awards, I can add another roster spot or two with another coming when Juggernaut is no longer needed.

That would be enough for Patch and at least one of Ragnarok, Magneto NOW, or Ares, with Ares able to sit in my queue for another 6 days if necessary.

Bullseye is likely gone, if only because I figure I can get another cover for him sooner or later when I have more roster spots. Same with Hawkeye NOW.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    Storm seems to be a better pair for Daken than Juggy because Storm's "Mistress Of The Elements" power, when combined with strike tiles, can mess someone up badly in addition to setting up further combos. She's only a defensive liability when picking up red tiles, but that can be covered up depending on who the third member of the team is.

Thor should be your guy to take hits for Modern Storm. Also, his yellow can generate greens for Dakan.
    I also ended up with an Ares cover from one of my tokens yesterday. If I get the space for him, I'll try to add him since he's murderously powerful when he gets maxed out.

Ares is really good, hold onto him.
  • Update-

My current go-to lineup is maxed Daken, 2-5-4 Wolvie at level 60, and maxed 4-5-4 Modern Storm.

I have a 3-4-2 Classic Storm in line to be leveled up after Wolvie is maxed. I'm also planning to go 5-5-3 on Wolvie when respec becomes available, as well as when I obtain the green covers.

I sold Juggy to pay for about 3-4 levels of Wolvie once he made it into my lineup and the Lone Star Tourney was nearly done.

I put modern Magneto and Patch on my roster and sold off my rewards of Bullseye, Modern Hawkeye, Ragnarok, etc. If it wasn't for the sheer number of Magneto covers I had and his boosted / required status for the current storyline, I'd probably have kept Ragnarok instead.

I've still got Ares sitting in my rewards and I have enough HP for one more roster spot, but I'm holding off until the last minute on doing so in case I get something useful, like Psylocke, in my upcoming tokens. If not, I get Ares and sit him until I can get more covers to level him up.

I'm kind of hoping that I don't have to sell any of my *** covers off, given that having seven of them out there raises the chances that any future covers I get will actually be an upgrade for one of these guys instead of someone that will require their own roster spot.

EDIT - Tokens cashed, got a second Ares and a bunch of stuff I can't use, so I added another roster slot just for him. With any luck, I'll get enough HP for another slot if something interesting pops up in the next few days.