Placing in LR

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Out of curiosity, how hard is it to place in a LR on comparison to regular pvp? Given I can land top 50 with ease, and top 15 with a push, how hard is it with a 2* roster to place highly enough to get, say, the token, the 3* token, or the covers?

Comments

• Much harder. Lightning Rounds measure your score against every other participating player at once, most other contests measure you against a limited bracket of players.

I think what you *really* need is the ability to keep battling for 90 minutes without running out of health packs and/or wiping yourself out in a badly-chosen battle. Yesterday I managed to be on top or near it in a lightning round for a while before crashing out to below the 500 mark when I hit that wall.
  • The other approach is to play at odd times. I was able to get a diabolical in the Ragnarok round at 6 am Eastern this morning playing seed teams for 15 minutes at the beginning and then a handful of matches at the end to fine-tune my position (I needed to avoid 9th-25th since I'm maxed on green). The same amount of playing in an evening round would probably get me 140 or 250 ISO.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    The other approach is to play at odd times. I was able to get a diabolical in the Ragnarok round at 6 am Eastern this morning playing seed teams for 15 minutes at the beginning and then a handful of matches at the end to fine-tune my position (I needed to avoid 9th-25th since I'm maxed on green). The same amount of playing in an evening round would probably get me 140 or 250 ISO.
    Yeah, early in the morning EST (before 8 a.m.) and oddly during the dinner hour (5-6 EST) seem to be when competition is the lightest. I did have the opportunity to play at like 2:30 a.m. last night (courtesy of my toddler teething) and the competition then was pretty light as well.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I too placed in a Loki, and a Hood, but at like midnight because I couldn't sleep and even then I barely placed. I'm assuming tanking doesn't work in LR
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    As stated above, it is MUCH harder. LRs are open bracket, meaning that there is only one for ALL players. So rather than competing against 200/500/1,000 you are playing against everyone else which can be 5,000-10,000 depending on when you play. I was playing last night around 1am PST and after my first match at 27 pts I was 3,244th.
  • I've done it a couple times. You have to play constantly for the entire 90 minutes. You either need health packs, healing characters, or a stacked roster.

You also need to get lucky with some quick matchups and favorable boards. Stopping to take a phone call or do something will end your chances
  • Tank. Then tank some more.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Jachdo wrote:
    Tank. Then tank some more.

Unfortunately they have made it much harder to tank, even in LRs. Ill admit I dont fully understand how they determine your defense team, but I believe putting in Bagman and retreating no longer works.
  • MarvelMan wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:

Unfortunately they have made it much harder to tank, even in LRs. Ill admit I dont fully understand how they determine your defense team, but I believe putting in Bagman and retreating no longer works.

Your defense team is made up of your most recent team which won in that particular tourney.

Just throw in M Storm or M BW in your team and an average damage dealer, win a game, and then you'll be tanking like crazy.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Jachdo wrote:

but how does tanking in say the Loki LR, help me in that round, or in a future LR?
  • The easiest way to tank in Lightning Rounds is to start as soon as they open, set up one of the easiest seed teams (kicksthatkick, wannabskrull,b@conm@gic, pyromantic, chopstick), and beat it with your tank team. The losses should come rolling in.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:

but how does tanking in say the Loki LR, help me in that round, or in a future LR?

Tanking helps you for future LRs. Do NOT attempt to tank in a round that you're pushing: the game updates people's match queue very slowly, so its possible that they attack your tank team even if you've brought back your A team, meaning that you're going to get attacked a ton while you try to push.
  • SirKopath wrote:
    Just throw in M Storm or M BW in your team and an average damage dealer, win a game, and then you'll be tanking like crazy.

I have a Lvl 6 Moonstone and Bagman duo that tank like a charm. I play a couple matches with a decent team to get the Recruit Token, then throw in the duo with a base villain. The losses just come streaming in, it's beautiful.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dunkelgrau wrote:
    SirKopath wrote:

I have a Lvl 6 Moonstone and Bagman duo that tank like a charm. I play a couple matches with a decent team to get the Recruit Token, then throw in the duo with a base villain. The losses just come streaming in, it's beautiful.

I've been using my max cover level 6 c. storm / cap america. Makes killing the enemy seed team have a 100% of working, as opposed to only 90% when they get a ridiculously lucky cascade on you.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:

Tanking helps you for future LRs. Do NOT attempt to tank in a round that you're pushing: the game updates people's match queue very slowly, so its possible that they attack your tank team even if you've brought back your A team, meaning that you're going to get attacked a ton while you try to push.

One of the LR I saw a team from the overall leader and he shows up as having a rating of 0.

Also keep in mind anybody who already saw your team is never going to have their team updated no matter what, which would indeed lead to a painful loss later.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Jachdo wrote:

Tanking in other PvP events effects your MMR as well. There is a PvP event that runs continuously that no one cares about. Give it a try. icon_e_wink.gif
  • I'm struggling to get top 100 in any tournament at the moment, and usually get hit so often that I end up 250-500 since I'm getting hit quicker than I can advance. This is with 106 Magneto, 90 Hood & 103 spider-man (or variation depending on required villain). You can see quite a range of teams in the top 10, from teams with level 60 max to teams with maxed level 141 villains, so the only way to tell if D3 have stacked the game in your favor is to try it and see. I'm going to have to (try to) tank seriously if I want any chance of tokens (only after heroic tokens at the moment), but it almost feels like I've got a tank team out with this team.
  • Tarquos wrote:
    Out of curiosity, how hard is it to place in a LR on comparison to regular pvp? Given I can land top 50 with ease, and top 15 with a push, how hard is it with a 2* roster to place highly enough to get, say, the token, the 3* token, or the covers?

I have good stuff over **, regularly place in 6-15 in PVE without too much effort (could go better with more spending on shields).

LRs I found pretty hopeless -- with much effort it's the 500 ISO. But it's okay for grabbing to 100 pts just playing up little then leaving a tank team.

Would be so much more fun if only the leader character was bufffed.

(with different MMR you may have different experience, this game is broken all the way, you may have lots of benefits from bad roster and poor performance.)