Final PVE Node as Playtest?

Tatercat
Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
This spins out from another thread, where I commented in a discussion about the final node in Venom Bomb, on how to make it different from the final node in the previous node. I suggested something like a node where you control loaner Eddie Venom, Carnage and Spidey in an unlikely alliance against lvl 395 Green Goblin as just a way to change up the format in a fun way and not do the Carnage/Venom/AP Feeder node again.

I've kept thinking about that though, and something like that might be a good way to playtest new characters that would be debuting soon. Not the exact set of circumstances I illustrated above, but have a boss fight at the end of a PVE event as a way to test how a new character works against whatever the player base can throw against it. It wouldn't be an essential node, no CP's attached to it, heck it doesn't even have to give event points. Just as a kind of reward fight for making through all the nodes to get there and to cap off the event with something different and special. That way if people wipe against it at whatever level it is set, there's no bitterness at being too hard. From the developer's point of view, they can see how the character does against a variety of teams combos, boosted or unboosted and get a feel if it's too overpowered or under-powered. Then the devs could adjust the character before final release using that data gained from the event.

I realize that might be hard to justify in story when done in regards to introducing new heroes ("What? Purple Man is controlling ANOTHER member of the X-men/Avengers/FF??!?"), but Marvel has a long history of heroes fighting heroes (heck there's going to be a movie about next year). And the current schedule of releasing new 4*'s is enough to support something like this, and it would really help with the event fatigue that can set in (or has settled in), giving players something to look forward to at the end each time.