Very nice holiday content, Demiurge

Sandwichboy
Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Considering how much criticism (constructive or otherwise) this forum is full of, I just want to say thank you for some very well designed and executed content this month. While the character himself is a little...underwhelming, the intro even for Chulk was another example of the best way to introduce a new 4* character. Venom Bomb is the best new pve instance I've seen in quite some time, and Naughty or Nice with it's awesome vault should probably be the new standard for special event pvps. While there's still tons of room for improvement in other areas, it's encouraging to see a good chunk of progress in such a short time. Nicely done.

Comments

• ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Seconded. PvP is getting a little stale for me with the standard 3* featured plus 2 format. The only thing breaking it up is the 4* release with an underpowered featured or off-season events.

This mixes things up a bit and I'd like to see more themes events. It shouldn't be too hard as there's no need for dialogue.

Halloween would have been an easy one for example.

Find ways to bring a little diversity and reward the deep rosters.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    NICE pvp only gave me 4 2 stars so blah

i could on the other hand see VAULTS like this really make quick cash for D3 from newbies or people who need the covers what do i mean by that

I think you got what 5 4 stars (15000 hp) you got 2000 HP back i think few CP and i think 15 3 stars for 18000 HP

if you needed those 4 star covers it would be like paying for the 4 star covers and getting everything else for free.

if they had covers i needed i would of probally got a 40 packs or both 40s to get everything
  • I concur, I'm very happy to see new content besides just new characters. Although I still can't help but be a little disappointed in the finale of these new events.
    Being that Venom Bomb was so heavily Spider-Man oriented and Norman Osborn being the puppet master surrounding the story line I was expecting to fight Green Goblin at the conclusion much in the same way I was expecting a Mephisto battle at the end of Hearts of Darkness.
    I just don't understand why we don't see more boss fights in this game. I've been playing for 5 months and they've never run the Ultron event even once in that time either.
  • Yeah, when the symbiotes were swarming up the Statue of Liberty, I was getting excited that we'd have to fight a match against a symbiote version of it. Then when the test subject got out, thought we'd fight an uber-Venom or Toxin or something.

Huge missed opportunity there, D3.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    While I'm not a fan of the symbiotes' consume as much resources as possible without allowing the players a chance to prevent it design, at least there was a new event. The PvP event was a nice addition and then progression rewards for that are what they should look like for ALL PvP events.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Enslaved wrote:
    I concur, I'm very happy to see new content besides just new characters. Although I still can't help but be a little disappointed in the finale of these new events.
    Being that Venom Bomb was so heavily Spider-Man oriented and Norman Osborn being the puppet master surrounding the story line I was expecting to fight Green Goblin at the conclusion much in the same way I was expecting a Mephisto battle at the end of Hearts of Darkness.
    I just don't understand why we don't see more boss fights in this game. I've been playing for 5 months and they've never run the Ultron event even once in that time either.

I'm ok with with Norman not being the final boss on this one. It was "Venom Bomb" after all, so I'm fine with a symbiote final node (though a node where you control loaner Eddie Venom, Carnage and Spidey in an unlikely alliance against lvl 395 Green Goblin would have been a fun change up to the format.) I would have held off Carnage until the final Liberty Island sub if they weren't going to do a symbiote Statue of Liberty (as Shefsteve suggested) but overall I've been happy with this PVE. It was taxing being during the holidays right after a 7 day PVE, but I think it did play fair. The IF/Cage/SheHulk combo the devs boosted for this event worked fine for me. Yes, health packs were burned, but as long as I can do a full clear the nodes once with the 10 packs given, that seems fair to me. I'm not a habitual grinder and I don't need T20 to justify me playing this game. And a new PVE should be challenging, otherwise why bother making it? I think most of the grumbling coming from people on this event stems not being able to do PVE and PVP at the same time. I've always thought you're going to enjoy the game more by being either a PVE player or a PVP player, but not both. It just gets too expensive and feels like work to commit to both. Pick one side to commit to and just play the other for fun while waiting for health packs to recharge.

I do think they are building to something with Norman Osborn though. The end of this event has Luke Cage exposing him to the media, so maybe they're heading to an end game with the Dark Reign storyline now. They've already dropped the Dark Reign title from the game a while ago, I'm guessing the only hold up from them moving on is how many PVE event stories are built around Hammer and the Dark Avengers. (of course it would only take some text changes to make them a underground criminal organization like Hydra.)
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Norman Osborn wasn't responsible for the Venom Bomb in the comics (Mighty Avengers (2008) issues 7-11, FYI) - it turned out to have (possibly) been Doctor Doom's fault. But then again, the comics storyline took place before Dark Reign, so Osborn wasn't actually a major player at that time.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    While a new pve and new mobs is welcome in theory, it does seem like they only test some of this stuff to see that it doesn't crash rather than how fun it actually is, unless the requirements for any new event includes such things as increase health pack usage, antagonise the players with cheap gameplay from the computer and limit team selection by scaling based upon the level of boosted characters.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I agree, I enjoyed all of this. The added tokens and command points in PVP were nice, the 4*-heavy vault was useful, and the new PVE and characters were engaging (Yay new goons! Boo "Oh my god, this new giant symbiote is so amazing and terrifying! I WISH YOU GUYS COULD SEE IT!!"). I especially liked Venom Bomb because it pushed the "puzzle" component of this game (although I wouldn't have minded fewer iterations of "how can you beat Carnage in three turns?"). I like when this game encourages you to dump your go-to solutions to find something that fits the occasion rather than something that works everywhere.

The new characters seem fun, even if they're not game-changing. I'd agree with others that it would have been nice to have a node with a loaner Eddie Brock teaming up, but this event did a good job of showing us the spider characters' mechanics and how they're designed to work together. I'm even thinking about playing with 3* Spidey again.

If I had a suggestion, it'd be a holiday PVE event to go with the rest ("Norman Osborne is stealing toys from the children!" Okay, maybe not THAT...). I'm hopeful the conclusion of Venom Bomb is setting up Osborne to become Green Goblin, but this has been a fun December for the game. Thanks!
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I too want to say that some things are quite notable.

The Chulk event, similar to the heist Antman even is fantastic. I wish other top tier 4* characters had these types of events. I know they require extra writing and time, but giving each a story and a guaranteed cover through some very challenging nodes is the right formula. Transitioning players should sweat and use up health packs, but ultimately through time be able to accomplish these types of events and walk away with one cover. Obviously rotating the covers would be preferable.

The 80 vault and the generous tokens were also very nice, more vaults like that would be great minus all the MrF covers.