Venom Bomb- Finally a PVE done right!

zeeke
zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Im not sure this is true for all brackets, but do you know what I see in my top10?

- Not a single soft capper!

The only ones competing in this brutality is people who actually play the game the way it was supposed to, you know by leveling your tinykitty characters.

More like this D3, even better, remove the player scaling and have fixed levels. The higher the better, that will separate the wheat from the chaff.

/z

Comments

• Here here! These guys are right behind token manipulators in the ‘you’ve ruined the game I like’ 
    Deparetment。
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    zeeke wrote:
    Im not sure this is true for all brackets, but do you know what I see in my top10?

The only ones competing in this brutality is people who actually play the game the way it was supposed to, you know by leveling your tinykitty characters.

More like this D3, even better, remove the player scaling and have fixed levels. The higher the better, that will separate the wheat from the chaff.

/z

I suspect that this is their approach to encourage people to level up their characters. Along with the rumour new system....
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    zeeke wrote:

/z

Honestly want your bracket.. i am tired of losing to softcappers.. and currently one is winning my bracket. But, play however makes the game fun for you.. /shrug.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not seeing that either. I'm sitting in 5th, and only one player above me has a maxed 4*. "Doing PvE right" doesn't mean making it P2W, which is basically what this is. You can't grind these nodes for free. Anyone fighting for t2 must be eating boosts and health packs like candy.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    zeeke wrote:
    The higher the better, that will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Nice way to describe your fellow players, they are chaff because they haven't paid out as much as others. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    the current leader in my bracket got 3 lvl 400 or higher 5*s with the right covers for a never dying team
    True, there's that... but that's just a different kind of P2W
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Crowl wrote:
    zeeke wrote:

Nice way to describe your fellow players, they are chaff because they haven't paid out as much as others. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bad analogy, but the idea that more powerful rosters should generally outperform less powerful rosters is sound. Yes, you can pay for that roster, but many people earn it without buying everything, and it sucks to feel like you're not seeing a requisite benefit from that.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    zeeke wrote:

/z

Well, yes, making veterans quit because they can't progress is starting to get old. Let's have Demiurge cut straight to the chase and make 2/3 of the player base quit because their ability to progress is being blotted out in PVE the same way it is in PVP.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Maybe an alternative would be to offer new characters as rewards in *both* formats before you make them required for an event in the respective format.

So having Miles as a required character in the Venom PVE is fine - he was awarded in the previous PVE so anyone playing PVE has him. But having the Web 2.0 event where PVP has only seen 1 Miles cover as a #1 placement prize is the sticking point.

I know some people will still try to kill themselves in both formats, but this seems like it might be a middle ground?
  • Crowl
    Bad analogy, but the idea that more powerful rosters should generally outperform less powerful rosters is sound. Yes, you can pay for that roster, but many people earn it without buying everything, and it sucks to feel like you're not seeing a requisite benefit from that.

A more powerful roster means they are always in a position to benefit from boosted characters etc and have more viable teams to grind nodes without using up all their health packs though and that is all before you take into account the unbeatable advantage those rosters will have in pvp too.

They do need to improve the way nodes are scaled in pve events though, it is unfair that people are effectively penalised based on level when amount of covers is a more crucial way of judging the strength of a character.
  • The Bob The
    Crowl wrote:

A more powerful roster means they are always in a position to benefit from boosted characters etc and have more viable teams to grind nodes without using up all their health packs though and that is all before you take into account the unbeatable advantage those rosters will have in pvp too.

They do need to improve the way nodes are scaled in pve events though, it is unfair that people are effectively penalised based on level when amount of covers is a more crucial way of judging the strength of a character.

Either we're saying the same thing, or we're saying entirely different things. It's so hard to tell online sometimes.

To your first graf, those more powerful teams are facing correspondingly more powerful opponents in PVE. That's why you see lower level opponents in the top, which doesn't seem right. But then, that seems like what you're saying in the second graf. Also, I think your idea about number of covers being a good metric makes sense, but it seems like the Powers That Be are pushing for chars to be leveled, so that might be the emphasis we're stuck with.
  • Crowl
    Assuming they don't intend to split players into more level appropriate groups for these events then biasing things even more towards the whales seems like a worse idea than leaving it how it is atm, those rosters already dominate pvp so trying to find a better balance in pve seems like a fairer option.

My point about the rosters is that the scaling should be less harsh than it is now on fully-leveled characters, rather than ramping things up in events to exclude lesser rosters, they should both be facing a similar level of challenge and then the stronger roster would potentially be able to pull ahead in the placements by virtue of a deeper bench of viable teams overall.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still managed to come in 3rd behind two players that had rosters of maybe a month old.

I can't complain, because I came in 3rd with only just over 30k points (the Spider-Man cover progression milestone, iirc). Yep, I basically cleared each node twice. I had Classic Spidey and Cap, but no Miles, so I was only hitting 2/3 of the required character nodes. I didn't grind anything to 1. I was lucky enough to get the command point on my first clear in each sub. I basically played a few minutes here and there while I just got on with enjoying my Christmas break and got 3 Venom covers, which is cool because I like the cover art they chose.

My scaling is way, way down from the last time I actually played PvE - not a single node over 300. I think the highest was around 290.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    I always feel that people who hate softcappers are the same kind of people who hate LINE users. When your system is designed poorly, people will try to work it as best they can. Or to put it more eloquently, "don't hate the player, hate the game." I had a little over 65,000 pts and came in 31st. If someone with a roster capped out 70 beat me, good for them. I don't got that kind of time.

Wanting the devs to create more PvE events that screw over newer players rather than having them fix their outdated competition model and broken scaling system in PvE is misplaced frustration, imo.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Crowl wrote:
    zeeke wrote:

No, they haven't played as much as others.

And also, if you have a deep and developed roster health pack drain is not as big a deal as for newer players. I had at least 3 teams that could take down that last carnage/venom/feeder node.
  • The Bob The
    Mawtful wrote:
    I just got on with enjoying my Christmas break and got 3 Venom covers, which is cool because I like the cover art they chose.

Didja notice they even went with the foil variant? I have at least two copies of that bagged in a bin somewhere. Ah the 90s...
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Well, the event was nice, but the timing was poor. I grinded the h-e-double hockey sticks (not sure if that word is allowed in here) out of the Miles event, but unfortunately, it happened on Christmas and I missed 2 runs due to, ya know, having a family and all. I finished #107 in that event, which meant no Miles.

Venom bomb, I grinded the h-e-double hockey sticks out of it even more, but without Miles, I missed out on all 3 required nodes, doing 4-5 per event, meant i missed out on roughly 4500 points. I finished #103... no Venom for me either icon_e_sad.gif Looking at the top 5 in my grouping: The first place has 6x 4* chars with 13 covers, all at level ~220. The second place has 5 4*s fully covered, but no characters over lvl 155. #3 doesn't even have maxed 3*s. #4's biggest card is a level 114 Hulk, then it falls to a plethora of level 102 3*s (all fully covered). #5 finally, full roster of level 270 4*s. So yeah, Softcapping still seems like the way to go.

I am not a soft capper. I have every 2* characters fully covered and maxed. I have every 3* character fully covered, and 30 of them at level 166. I have 1 4* at 270 (She-Thor), another at 250 (XFW), and 3 more above 200 (Nick Fury, Star Lord, Devil Dino). Every 4* I have is leveled to the maximum I can except Invisible Woman (level 120). The 2 5* chars I have are both at 270, though I could raise them to 285 since I have 2 covers, but I see no point at this time cause neither are really usable at this time with the covers they have except to clear out the really easy nodes using match damage only. I feel I'm better off saving my ISO and getting my 4*s raised first.

I have 87 chars (no duplicates) and as far as I know, the only ones I am missing are Miles, 4* Venom, and 5* Phoenix. But looking at the results, it seems like actually playing the game makes it worse. I feel like I'm better off selling all my chars and starting over. It's so damn frustrating to see the Reps of the game tell us over and over "We want you to have a large roster and level the characters!" only to see repeatedly that those of us who do can't win.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    abmoraz wrote:
    I have 87 chars (no duplicates) and as far as I know, the only ones I am missing are Miles, 4* Venom, and 5* Phoenix. But looking at the results, it seems like actually playing the game makes it worse. I feel like I'm better off selling all my chars and starting over. It's so damn frustrating to see the Reps of the game tell us over and over "We want you to have a large roster and level the characters!" only to see repeatedly that those of us who do can't win.

The roster is only the beginning. It's what you can do with it. And, unfortunately, in PVE, especially in the vet brackets, even finishing top 100 can require a ridiculous amount of dedication. Clearing every 8hrs, and grinding it down at the end.

You can build (or buy) a nice roster, but ... unless you can pay someone to do it for you, you can't buy time or timing.

And you nailed it when you said, "... it seems like actually playing the game makes it worse." It is ridiculous, but playing PVE regularly, and placing well regularly, does make it worse. Your reward for doing well is increased challenge; increased scaling and placement in increasingly competitive brackets.

I placed top 10 3 PVEs in a row on my Android account, and now will have to let it "cool" for awhile.

.... and now that account has better Miles and Venom than my main account does icon_lol.gif

I think the bold is a ridiculous truism of the game.

Timing is the number one thing that is starting to kill me about the game. There are times I just want to play or can play, but its not an optimal time to play so it becomes "play the game to enjoy it but have it be suboptimal and possible hurt my earnings" or "don't play the game and do something else until it's the "proper" time to play."