AI knows the future?

Arctic_One
Arctic_One Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Thought I had read that the AI does not know what tiles are going to drop from the top of the board after a move. If I'm wrong then please ignore the rest.

For the last week I have noticed in DDQs wave node that the AI changes the opponents long before the opponents of the previous wave are all dead. Here is what I mean...

I use Cyclops/GSBW/Doom for DDQ. On 2nd & 4th waves I set up to use [Deceptive Tactics, Sniper Rifle]. For the last week I have been seeing at the end of the 2nd wave that the AI is changing the three enemies to three goons as soon as I fire Sniper Rifle (3912 points to each enemy) even though 1 or more enemies is above 4000 points. This means the AI knows that the needed tiles to cascade a win are going to fall.

Would anyone have an explanation for this?

Comments

• the ai calculates the damage immediately. the cascading animation is only for your benefit. yes they do display the next waves' character when the move you make will kill this wave off. i think it is a bug.
  • The game generates exactly what is going to happen in your move the second you make your selection. This is a computer, so that happens instantly, it doesn't need to wait in real time and watch each cascade to see what will happen next.

This doesn't stop the tiles dropping from being random, it's simply that they are decided before you see them drop.

Because of this occasionally on wave rounds it will know that your move is going to kill off everyone in this current wave, so gets a bit excited and immediately displays the enemies for the next round. This is purely a display bug, and has no effect on the game.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    What thw above person said is true, it would know once the move was made. There might be another explanation though. You fire Sniper Rifle on wave 2 and see an immediate change to wave 3, even though at least one of the enemies is over 4000 health, right?

If you are unaware, the desyroyed tiles from Sniper Rifle, while not gaining ap, do cause damage. So while each character takes 3912 damage, the front character usually will take about 1500 more than that. If that is the one character that has over 4000hp, then it is reasonable to think they were killed from the additional damage, and then the cascade would damage the 3rd wave.

I run with gsbw, cyke and cmags, so I am very familiar with the move, most enemies on wave 2 are over 5000 health, and usually won't die from 1 Sniper Rifle. If you are picking out damage here and there to get them close to dieing from it, you might see two characters with 3800 or so left and the third at 4100, and then my above explanation would fit.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Arctic_One wrote:
    Thought I had read that the AI does not know what tiles are going to drop from the top of the board after a move. If I'm wrong then please ignore the rest.

For the last week I have noticed in DDQs wave node that the AI changes the opponents long before the opponents of the previous wave are all dead. Here is what I mean...

I use Cyclops/GSBW/Doom for DDQ. On 2nd & 4th waves I set up to use [Deceptive Tactics, Sniper Rifle]. For the last week I have been seeing at the end of the 2nd wave that the AI is changing the three enemies to three goons as soon as I fire Sniper Rifle (3912 points to each enemy) even though 1 or more enemies is above 4000 points. This means the AI knows that the needed tiles to cascade a win are going to fall.

You have know idea what you've stumbled on. The AI also knew you'd write this thread. The AI is planning its in-game response as you read this.

Don't blink. ...when you match those tiles.
  • Arctic_One wrote:

You have know idea what you've stumbled on. The AI also knew you'd write this thread. The AI is planning its in-game response as you read this.

Don't blink. ...when you match those tiles.
    This. AI doesn't just KNOW the future, the AI _is_ the future.
  • I know its just tinfoil talk but I swear to Odin that sometimes Im sure the AI knew which tiles would come when it ignored a match of one of its own colors to make a bad match (like a cMags alone matching green instead of yellow/red/blue) and then a cascade comes from it and it gets 16 yellow, 24 red and 30 blue.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arctic_One wrote:

There is 'the AI' and there is 'the game engine'. The game engine makes everything work. Board tiles, damage, abilities and so on. As soon as a move is made it calculates all the outcomes of that move and the end result and then starts showing them to you. Because it already knows the end result it sometimes switches opponents before it has shown you the steps it took to get there.

The AI is the program that determines which move or ability the computer side will use next. Once it selects it's action it tells the game engine to process it. It doesn't have access to what will happen next based on its decision because the game engine doesn't generate outcomes until a decision is made.

The AI does accumulate points similar to Deadpool points though and once it has enough it can cash them in with the game engine for a mega whales cascade.* It balances out the fact that the AI can never access mega whales.

*completely made up**

**probably