Game crashing since update

Is anyone else getting the game crash at the loading screen since updating???

Comments

• Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Mine just stopped working as well... was playing fine this morning (3 hours ago)...
  • Since the last update i lost my account, my roster (58 caracters!!!)...please help me.... icon_cry.gif
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    On my tablet (Asus MeMO 10, Android 4.2.1), the update was fine. On my phone, it crashes. I uninstalled the game entirely, re-installed, and now I am dreading doing the freaking tutorial for the 12th time since I started playing.

so, yes... my phone was crashing repeatedly as well (HTC One A9, android 6.0). Uninstalling and re-installing has seemed to work so far. I'll let you know more after I get around to doing the tutorial again and can load my account.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz wrote:
    On my tablet (Asus MeMO 10, Android 4.2.1), the update was fine. On my phone, it crashes. I uninstalled the game entirely, re-installed, and now I am dreading doing the freaking tutorial for the 12th time since I started playing.

so, yes... my phone was crashing repeatedly as well (HTC One A9, android 6.0). Uninstalling and re-installing has seemed to work so far. I'll let you know more after I get around to doing the tutorial again and can load my account.

Follow-up. Finally finished the tutorial (I got distracted and, at one point, I managed to break the tutorial so it was in a state where I couldn't continue, so I had to start over). Connected with facebook and everything seems to be golden now.

So, for me: removing the app, re-installing it, raging through the tutorial, and reconnecting with facebook fixed the bug.
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the recent forced update on Android, I'm now getting intermittent "MPQ has stopped working Report / OK" messages. A restart of my tablet always fixes it. Removing it from the list of running apps (or whatever that's called on Android) often fixes it.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz wrote:
    abmoraz wrote:

Follow-up. Finally finished the tutorial (I got distracted and, at one point, I managed to break the tutorial so it was in a state where I couldn't continue, so I had to start over). Connected with facebook and everything seems to be golden now.

So, for me: removing the app, re-installing it, raging through the tutorial, and reconnecting with facebook fixed the bug.

OK, even more follow-ups:
    After re-installing, I am still getting the crashes. Though, I have found a pattern and it has to do with the memory loading/unloading in android (I can't speak for PC or iPhone as I don't have any devices that run Windows or iOS).

Here are the scenerios:
    - Freshly booted device. Start the game. It runs fine
    - Device that hasn't been rebooted for a very long time, but the game has never been run yet. Start the game: it runs fine
    - Device that has been running the game, but went to sleep. No other apps opened or closed or used. Unlocked and go back to the game: Runs fine.
    - Device running the game, use the app switcher to go to another app, switch back: Game sometimes crashes.
    - Device that has run the game, but exited the game. Try to launch the game anew: Game always crashes.
    - Device running the game, go to home screen. Launch another very memory intensive game or app (for my testing, it was Adventure Time Card Wars), that game opens fine. Close that game or use the app switcher to switch back to MPQ: game crashes.
    - Try to launch MPQ after getting a game crash notification: Game will crash.
    - Use a memory manager to see that even though the game crashed, it is still partially loaded into memory for "quick launch". Try to load the game: it crashes.
    - Use the same memory manager to fully remove MPQ from memory (note: just swiping MPQ off of the active app list you get from pressing the "soft button" for app switcher does NOT do this): Game launches normally.
    - Have the game open on one device, launch it on another, device #1 will get the "You have been logged out from another device". Click OK and the game tries to re-launch. Sometimes works, sometimes crashes.

From these results, I can extrapolate that most likely cause of the crashing is that the most recent update changed what the "required memory" portions of the code are. It looks like parts of the game are not getting fully removed from memory when re-launching so there is a state conflict.

There are 2 ways for players to fix this:
    1. Use a true memory manager to remove all portions of the game from memory, then launch. In newer versions of android, you can use the built in memory option under the settings and look at the app usage. For older versions, you may have to install an app to do it, I'm not certain.
    2. Reboot the phone to clear all the memory space.

As far as what the developers can do, I haven't cracked open the JAR files for the game to determine what is preventing the memory from cleaning up entirely, nor will I. It's not my code nor am I getting paid to do it (sorry, but I have better stuff to spend my time on) icon_e_smile.gif