Galactus style refreshes for PVE

zeeke
zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi

Trying to play the ISO8 Miles event just pushes me closer and closer to that burn-out point. So I have a question for you PVE:ers.

What do you think about changing all the PVEs refreshes to match that of the Galactus event. i.e. the node is refreshed after 8 hours and then you have 8 hours to actually hit it. Regardless of when you do you get the maximum amount of points after that point.

Would this take som stress out of PVE or would it just put even more emphasis of grinding the node down to 1?

/z

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Could work PvE went pure progression, which I would love.
  • zeeke
    OJSP wrote:
    With the refresh time like Galactus/Ultron, it wouldn't be possible to grind to 1?
    Everyone who could clear all the nodes would score the same points, then it becomes a race to who can clear the fastest in the last refresh.. It's probably less stressful overall, but very stressful at the end.

Well they could just leave the node open after the last refresh like it is today. No one is grinding it down before the last refresh either way
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would play a lot more PvE if this were the case.

It's a billion times easier to find 30 minutes between 11p-7a, 7a-3p, 3p-11p, then it is to find 30 minutes at 11p, 7a, and 3p exactly.
  • We were still able to optimize it. If you just used the side nodes to refresh Galactus, you'd get one less shot in than if you were able to also wait 8 hours from the final Galactus fight. The people who optimize their PVE play would still come out on top with the requested change.
  • Refresh schedule has no effect on the top placement because if someone is able to schedule their life around PvE like it currently requires they obviously can still do meet any lesser requirement as well. Having PvE nodes refresh at server time as opposed to your time means you can actually have some chance to be competitive if you're not available at some predetermined time dictated by the time slices.

In such a system you most likely can't even redo nodes for 1 because otherwise the optimal solution would be to do every node down to 1 in the last refresh as early as possible and then do the easiest node for 1 point as many times as you can before the event ends and that'd be downright silly. However if you can't repeat nodes for 1 then you'll have a case where someone could've already won the event with 8 hours to go if he was able to do every node first (he'd get the tiebreaker for getting that score before anyone else did), though I think such a person would've almost certainly won under any other set of rules anyway. If too many virtual ties exist you can always increase the base difficulty to a point where it should no longer be possible to have ties.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    The biggest issue would not be fixed. It would mean it would take less time out of your day, sure. You would hit each node once per refresh and that's it. Everyone would end with the same score though, which presents the problem. The rankings would then be based off of who finished them fastest. Obviously those who can schedule their life around it would start first, and likely end first, getting the highest rankings.

If we made it refresh every 8 hours, but still be grindable, it would encourage more grinding, and make it even harder to place because you would have to devote more time than you do already.
  • Natsufan01 wrote:
    The biggest issue would not be fixed. It would mean it would take less time out of your day, sure. You would hit each node once per refresh and that's it. Everyone would end with the same score though, which presents the problem. The rankings would then be based off of who finished them fastest. Obviously those who can schedule their life around it would start first, and likely end first, getting the highest rankings.

If we made it refresh every 8 hours, but still be grindable, it would encourage more grinding, and make it even harder to place because you would have to devote more time than you do already.

The person who can beat a node fastest almost always wins the event under any rules. In the current system, assuming I can meet the specific time that you have to play, if I can beat something faster than anyone else in the bracket this means I can start later than anyone else in the final refresh, which means my nodes have recovered more value compared to anyone else before I grind them down to 1.

The amount of grinding is related to the event's difficulty not the format. In some of the particular nasty scaling PvE events in the past you see a very large separation at the top because it's pretty hard to grind nodes that wiped your team out by turn 3. Beating a node like Prodigal Sun's HT + Grenadier + Grenadier (or was it Pyro?) a couple times is sufficient for a great placement in that sub because there are a lot of people who can't even beat it once. If the nodes are easy enough people will find a way to grind it, and if you make the node impossible enough people will give up grinding at some point.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    We were still able to optimize it. If you just used the side nodes to refresh Galactus, you'd get one less shot in than if you were able to also wait 8 hours from the final Galactus fight. The people who optimize their PVE play would still come out on top with the requested change.

That's because of how the middle node interacted with the side nodes, though, which is something that I've been begging them to change since the initial Ultron release. You could do it smarter, here, like so:

Every 8 hours after the sub is opened, add 1/6 the total point value to every node in the sub.

This would happen in a single pulse.

Optimal grind then becomes one clear anytime in each 8 hour period, followed by a final grind within the last 8-hour period. It'll lead to point compression, sure, but I'm willing to trade that for the quality-of-life benefits.

1) It would let you get as many as 14-15 hours free for sleep and/or other important life events.

2) It would mean you wouldn't have to do your first clear of the next sub immediately after the final grind. I'm looking at you, Florida sub in The Hunt. I hate you and your thousands of one-time nodes so much.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is how PvE used to be way back when. The problem was rubberbanding was pretty big, so it was best to wait and do your clear at the last possible time to maximize your points. In general I'm all for this idea, especially now that rubberbanding and community scaling have essentially gone the way of the dodo.
  • zeeke
    Another interesting idea would be that the score you get is a base score multiplied by your scaling so you'd gain more points the more difficult enemies you beat
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    A better option for me would be four clears during a sub giving fixed points whenever they were cleared and then two hours from the end of the sub you would be able to grind the nodes as normal with the scores reducing, any clears besides the first four and the final two hours would only give 20 iso and no points.
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    First off I'm a big fan of PVE, I like PVE the way it is. However, maybe every 5 events run a ultron event! It would save everyone from burning out and bring back alliance first thinking! By the way hate the gauntlet and simulator but that's just my opinion!

Darknes21
  • Ultron/Galactus, Ant-Man (with different covers), Cho (with different covers), Sim (with better rewards): These are PVE designed the way PVE should be. Grinding for placement is dull, annoying, and LUDICROUSLY time consuming. With the 4* fatigue that is setting in, I don't even WANT to collect all the 4* anymore, and that's the whole reason I play this game.

Give us progression based/alliance based PVEs with reasonable rewards and I will be happy!