Was there an update? Am I missing something?

san
san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
My game forced an update today. To the best of my knowledge, I had already updated to R90. Am I missing something? Was this a stealth move? Did they just push through R91, without letting us know?

The game also went back to main screen while I was completing a match (on victory rewards screen). This was after the update. I presume that was a stealth move, as those restarts usually mean something. Time was around 1530/1540h PST

Android system on HTC Desire 601

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi all,

A fix went out Monday for a bug in the text describing Jean Grey (Phoenix)'s Psychic Rapport. The text string was not pointing at the correct variable. ("%NumTiles" was being used when the value "%FriendlyTiles" should have been used.)

This is not a change (or nerf) to the ability. We have only corrected the text so that the text and the behavior accurately match each other as originally intended.

Thank you.

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37034
  • san
    These text fixes don't typically need a whole new version to load though. That's what I mean by the stealth update that takes you back to loading screen. These are normal. What's not normal, is the full download update.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    In that case, I don't know, sorry. It sort of looks like more than a simple text fix though, it was that the string was pointing at the wrong variable, so I don't know if that requires a bigger patch or not.
  • morph3us wrote:
    In that case, I don't know, sorry. It sort of looks like more than a simple text fix though, it was that the string was pointing at the wrong variable, so I don't know if that requires a bigger patch or not.

I'm pretty sure they've made bigger changes without needing a proper update. I don't think Ragnarok needed one, for example.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I suspect it has something to do with the LT cheat.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    Got hit with that today too. Android
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards
    Got hit with that today too. Android

Oh yes. "Good News, there's a new version you have to download." Usually you can put it off for a day or two. Not this time. And as I had limited time before the end of Sticks, it wasn't fun having to wait while 70+ MB downloaded and installed.
  • san
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Oh yes. "Good News, there's a new version you have to download." Usually you can put it off for a day or two. Not this time. And as I had limited time before the end of Sticks, it wasn't fun having to wait while 70+ MB downloaded and installed.

Correct. I was in a similar boat - the middle of a grind for the PVE. Not fun.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    If it makes you feel better, my forced update happened on the victory screen of a battle, so I couldn't claim the reward. I submitted a bug report and it got resolved like this (all quotes are paraphrased to protect the mentally disabled):

1. Submit bug report saying I couldn't get to the "Claim reward screen" (include the PVE node, my device type, Android version, my player name, a detailed step-by-step recount of what happened, etc...) and that they should either allow us to postpone the updates until we are at a point we can do them safely, or only force the update when we're out of the battle screens.
    2. Get email back asking which reward I was missing and if I could please provide all of the info in the ticket again (note, that every reply from here on out has questions in it like "are you using multiple devices?" (no), "what rewards are you missing?" (dunno, that's why the ticket is submitted), and "Which platform are you playing the game on? (Android) ).
    3. reply with "I don't know what the reward was, the forced update screen prevented me from getting that far" and "All the info is listed in the email below which is in your reply where you asked me for that info"
    4. Get a reply back "Oh, that update was mandatory. Sometimes we have to push mandatory updates. Issue is solved" (+ all the base questions that have been answered, just worded slightly different or in a different order)
    5. I reply with "Issue is not solved. I was screwed out of a reward. Yes that reward could have been as little as 20 ISO, but It could've been as much as 500 ISO. The amount is irrelevant. Why was the update forced in the middle of game play?"
    6. get a reply back: "The rewards listed at the bottom are random. Sometimes you get 20 ISO. This is not a bug. Issue is closed"
    7. I reply back again "CAN YOU EVEN READ ENGLISH? I know that 20 ISO is sometimes a reward. The ticket is that I couldn't even GET to that screen to determine if that WAS the reward. ISSUE IS NOT SOLVED.
    8. "Can you tell us which reward you are missing so we can check our records to see if you got it?" (plus the stock questions at the bottom, still worded differently)... oh, btw way, the issue is solved. Were you satisfied with your support?
    9. (I seriously contemplate going to an orphanage to punch infants to quell my rage....)
    10. (count to 10 slowly)
    11. Fill out the post ticket support with "Unsatisfied" and "Look. I'm not typing in some ancient Mesopotamian language that no one understands, am I? It is English, right? The ticket is because I couldn't get to the rewards screen after winning a PvE node. The node (again) is [insert Node Here]. Why do you keep asking me the same questions over and over?"
    12. Get an email back (and this is part quoted verbatim): "We have asked before and have received no answer, so we had assumed it was not something important. Can you please answer us by telling us what the missing item is?

We understand that the item is from the mission node rewards, but as each mission node has 4 possible rewards and there are about 10 to 20 mission nodes per event map, we have no way of knowing what reward is missing without some provided information from you, the player and we must rely on player information in order to properly assess and identify the error that may be occurring

Please understand that our inquiries do not come from a state of disbelief or apathy, it is that we are delegated by protocol to ascertain all aspects of an issue before proceeding. We are unable to move forward without both confirming the occurrence and eliminating all other catalysts as to its possible source. This is simply a normal cycle of our regular investigatory process, and we apologize if it caused you any consternation."
    13. (feel horrible for all those bruised orphans)
    14. Reply with "I have told you no less than 6 times now the EXACT node in the EXACT event. Here are screenshots (from a different battle) annotated with EXACTLY what happened:
    A. screenshot of a battle screen with an annotation saying "Playing a battle"
    B. Screenshot of the Victory screen with a crudely drawn box over it saying "Great News! We're forcing you to upgrade rather than get your rewards" and another annotation pointing to the "Next" button saying "CANT CLICK HERE!"
    C. A statement in giant bold letters saying "EVERYTHING AFTER HERE IS WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED. I COULD NOT GET TO THESE SCREENS AND HENCE, THE REASON FOR THE TICKET":
    D. A screenshot of the "New Reward" screen annotated with "I was unable to get to this screen due to the forced update"
    E. A screenshot of a "20 ISO" reward annotated with "I couldn't get to this screen either, so I can't tell you what the reward was"
    15. A reply with "We're sorry, here's 500HP." and (verbatim) "We also ask that you keep in mind that moving forward, we will be unable to offer you the same service again."

so... moral of the story... punch babies until they buy you off.
  • G25
    G25 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2015
    abmoraz wrote:

15. A reply with "We're sorry, here's 500HP." and (verbatim) "We also ask that you keep in mind that moving forward, we will be unable to offer you the same service again."

Wow, just wow... Just give the user the 500 HP! I had a similar experience when I lost 7 command points and all I got was a: "no you didn't"

I tried explaining and they wrote this:

"We have provided you with the correct information regarding the Command Point balance on multiple occasions, and apologize that you find our answers unsatisfactory...

Moving forward, we will no longer respond to your tickets that pertain to this same issue, but would be happy to help you if any other issues arise."
  • san
    abmoraz wrote:
    If it makes you feel better.... SNIP

This, in fact, did make me feel better. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    G25 wrote:
    abmoraz wrote:

Wow, just wow... Just give the user the 500 ISO! *snip*

To be fair, it was Hero Points, not ISO. The game said "You have been rewarded a free cover" and gave me the 500HP. I guess they are implying I get to buy a 2* power of my choice. Bag-man here I come!

Still, I'm more interested that they don't do it again. 500HP is nice, but ultimately, I wont use it in the next 6 months as I have practially given up on PvP until they fix the broken mechanics behind it (so little to no need for shields). I rarely, if ever, buy packs as I have every 1, 2, and 3 star character fully covered (but not necessarily leveled, even Yelena) and you can't use HP to buy legendary packs (to get 4 and 5 star).

The only thing I use HP for any more is opening character slots (only characters I'm missing at the moment is 5* Jean Grey and Miles Morales, which it doesn't look like I am going to get via the event).