Thanks Devs - No sarcasm

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
OK so lot's of things go wrong on this game. We have lot's of complaints that seem to pile up higher on a daily basis, some justified some not.

I think that the devs deserve a bit of credit, hear me out. So we (pretty much everyone) complained that top 1 for 4* cover was stupid and slowing down 4* transition (personally irrelevant to me as a 3* but I get the complaint). The devs in what seems to be a rare example of paying attention have now made 4* covers much more viable (and in the process helped out 3* players like me too) by making placements better and more covers available. This suggestions was made a few times in the suggestions forum (yep I actually use the other forums) by a few different people, and the devs actually acted on it, it hasn't been implemented EXACTLY as suggested by then some of the suggestions were unrealistic.

The point is this, we are happy to jump down their throat for not listening and not changing things to suit the player base instead of their bottom line so I think it's only fair that we say thanks when they actually do change something to suit the players - in particular when it's a change that was suggested by the players.

Side note: Proof they do read the suggestions forum so next time you have one, slip it in there you never know who's reading.

Comments

• Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    OK so lot's of things go wrong on this game. We have lot's of complaints that seem to pile up higher on a daily basis, some justified some not.

I think that the devs deserve a bit of credit, hear me out. So we (pretty much everyone) complained that top 1 for 4* cover was stupid and slowing down 4* transition (personally irrelevant to me as a 3* but I get the complaint). The devs in what seems to be a rare example of paying attention have now made 4* covers much more viable (and in the process helped out 3* players like me too) by making placements better and more covers available. This suggestions was made a few times in the suggestions forum (yep I actually use the other forums) by a few different people, and the devs actually acted on it, it hasn't been implemented EXACTLY as suggested by then some of the suggestions were unrealistic.

The point is this, we are happy to jump down their throat for not listening and not changing things to suit the player base instead of their bottom line so I think it's only fair that we say thanks when they actually do change something to suit the players - in particular when it's a change that was suggested by the players.

Side note: Proof they do read the suggestions forum so next time you have one, slip it in there you never know who's reading.

(emphasis mine) I'm sorry but raising it from 1 to 10 is not "much more" anything. You do realise it's still 10 people out of a 1000 right? And that any 4* transitioner who places below 10 will receive almost nothing? For potentially 7 days of grinding? It is an improvement, yes, but the problem with the 4* transition is so big that tiny measures are hard to appreciate or applaud.

Of course, to you as a 3* transitioner, who will actually reap some additional benefits from this update without additional effort, it's hard to realise all this, which is entirely fine. But just, you know, don't speak for us, 4* transitioners. icon_e_wink.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    Pylgrim wrote:

(emphasis mine) I'm sorry but raising it from 1 to 10 is not "much more" anything. You do realise it's still 10 people out of a 1000 right? And that any 4* transitioner who places below 10 will receive almost nothing? For potentially 7 days of grinding? It is an improvement, yes, but the problem with the 4* transition is so big that tiny measures are hard to appreciate or applaud.

Of course, to you as a 3* transitioner, who will actually reap some additional benefits from this update without additional effort, it's hard to realise all this, which is entirely fine. But just, you know, don't speak for us, 4* transitioners. icon_e_wink.gif

That's a fair enough point but it IS better than before right? Having covers available for 10 people is still more than double the amount available before. Like I said in my OP I know it wasn't implemented exactly as people wanted but it's still better and they still listened. I think the suggestions of top 50 getting 4* cover were silly, I'm a 3* transitioner and can get t50 in most events if I try so maybe t25 should get those covers but still any positive change is positive no matter how small in my opinion.

Could be worse...instead of covers it could have been more LT's instead
  • As someone who regularly hits top 10 in PVE and sometimes even hits top 2, it's a bit silly to praise the devs because the rewards are better than before. Better than before is such a low bar that you'd have to work to make them worse. The changes don't really mean that much to the 3->4* transitioner because top 10 is really hard to hit for most people. Remember, that's just 1% of the people in the PVE.

It doesn't help that you usually have 1/4 to 1/2 of the top 10 usually being filled by players who cruise by with winfinite. I still say that Prof X is a terrible character to have in the game because it essentially gives the devs an excuse not to remedy scaling issues because you have many 4* players just cruising by with him giving the devs no reason to actually fix a real issue.

On top of that, you now have people who have some really well covered 5*s that trivialize PVE. Have fun having them suck up rewards that you could use because their OML, SS or Phoenix never die and destroy everything in their paths. (This is assuming that the expected feature is championing)

However, they do deserve some recognition for finally expanding the 3* reward tiers to make the 2->3* transition more bearable. They still have work to be done because 2->3* transitioners deserve a shot at 3* rewards through PVP but this is finally some headway for the mid tier.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453

That's a fair enough point but it IS better than before right? Having covers available for 10 people is still more than double the amount available before. Like I said in my OP I know it wasn't implemented exactly as people wanted but it's still better and they still listened. I think the suggestions of top 50 getting 4* cover were silly, I'm a 3* transitioner and can get t50 in most events if I try so maybe t25 should get those covers but still any positive change is positive no matter how small in my opinion.

So for employees who end up getting 0.1% raise in salary next year, would you consider that an improvement? icon_twisted.gif (After adjusting for inflation post-Fed rate hike, plus hefty insurance premium hikes, nope employees aren't earning more compared to expenditures.)
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:

So for employees who end up getting 0.1% raise in salary next year, would you consider that an improvement? icon_twisted.gif (After adjusting for inflation post-Fed rate hike, plus hefty insurance premium hikes, nope employees aren't earning more compared to expenditures.)

Well, no, but using your analogy it's over a 100% raise in salary, which most people would be delighted with. Going from 0.02 to 0.1 is a 400% increase.
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884

The main problems with Demiurge are:

They have good ideas but then implement them poorly.

They take too long to do anything.

Did you know that they once announced a nerf to Classic Magneto, and then only got around to doing it a full year later?
  • Pylgrim wrote:

I suppose I can appreciate the effort, but it's once again misguided. Changing T10 PvE rewards doesn't do anything for me because I've hit T10 PvE I think once or twice ever. 4* transitioner fixes should be happening in PvP, not PvE. The best PvE rosters don't even utilize 4* characters save for essential nodes.

Changing the top 10 PvP placements to 4* covers would be HUGE. I've hit T10 PvP for probably 9 of my last 10 events. The 2 CP is welcomed, but I'd rather have a 4* cover.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Petergibbons hits the nail on my he head. 4* transition players play a lot more PVP than PVE because hitting 1000 in PVP is easier than grinding down nodes and trying to place top 10 in PVE. I am actually fine with the new rewards to PVE as long as they also switch PVP.
    PVP should start making 4* essential and giving out 4* for top 50, two 4* for top 25 and three 4* for top 10. they could then drop the 3* cover down to top 150-200.
    Now PVP becomes the 4* playground and PVE the 3*.
    For new releases so more boss battles and Ant man style releases.
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Doesn't impact my play at all - I'm one of those 4* players who mostly does PVP - but putting some extra 4* covers into the economy can't hurt. Also, PVE is where many of the 2-3* transitioners are (reasonably) putting their effort, so getting them some extra covers seems like a mitzvah.
  • OneLastGambit
    I guess for me personally I'm the type who tries look sunny side up and be thankful for what I have got rather than complain that what I did get wasn't enough.
  • I guess for me personally I'm the type who tries look sunny side up and be thankful for what I have got rather than complain that what I did get wasn't enough.
    I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would feel better about my commitment to this game if it seemed as if the developers actually paid attention to the player-base enough to understand that it's the people finishing T10 in PvP events that need 4* covers more than those finishing T10 in PvE.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess for me personally I'm the type who tries look sunny side up and be thankful for what I have got rather than complain that what I did get wasn't enough.
    I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would feel better about my commitment to this game if it seemed as if the developers actually paid attention to the player-base enough to understand that it's the people finishing T10 in PvP events that need 4* covers more than those finishing T10 in PvE.

Most of my PvP T10s are Jeanbusters or 5stars. I think it's the tier below top 10 that actually have a need.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:

Fair enough, I did admit it was an improvement, if tiny. The main problem is that, as others have noted, not-character-releasing PVEs are not something that 4* transitioners play, so the improvement was placed at a location that requires tons of additional effort for potentially very little reward.

A good metaphor for this, I think, is a group of employees that have been begging their bosses for a raise because their salary is not enough to make ends meet and the response from the bosses is to institute a bonus for any employees who willingly courses year 5 at school all over again and ends as the top students at their class: a long, inane slog, additional to their normal "work", and if too many fellow employees enrolled in that particular course, some of them will not possibly be "top" even though they will compete fiercely for it. Their only reward will be the golden stars awarded by the teacher. Oh and in the meantime the actual Year 5 kids will have no way of being top of their classes (even if the teacher decided to be more generous with the golden stars, to compensate).

Is it technically improvement? Yep. Something to be thankful for... eh, no.
  • OneLastGambit
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

Fair enough, I did admit it was an improvement, if tiny. The main problem is that, as others have noted, not-character-releasing PVEs are not something that 4* transitioners play, so the improvement was placed at a location that requires tons of additional effort for potentially very little reward.

A good metaphor for this, I think, is a group of employees that have been begging their bosses for a raise because their salary is not enough to make ends meet and the response from the bosses is to institute a bonus for any employees who willingly courses year 5 at school all over again and ends as the top students at their class: a long, inane slog, additional to their normal "work", and if too many fellow employees enrolled in that particular course, some of them will not possibly be "top" even though they will compete fiercely for it. Their only reward will be the golden stars awarded by the teacher. Oh and in the meantime the actual Year 5 kids will have no way of being top of their classes (even if the teacher decided to be more generous with the golden stars, to compensate).

Is it technically improvement? Yep. Something to be thankful for... eh, no.

Perhaps the reason they have done this is to entice people like yourself (and myself since I really don't like PVE) back to playing PVE and thusly make it a little more viable and give you another game mode to challenge yourself with? Obviously the primary reason is to make you play more, and need more healthpacks more and spend more but the side effect is the same you now have something to aim for in every game mode. There is a 4* cover in PVP (which admittedly is not that attainable) and now there are 4* covers available in PVE as well. The game is now slightly more playable.

I get what you're saying that it doesn't help you much but would you really complain at somebody because they did not offer you enoughhelp? I am always thankful to any improvement to my life in any fashion even if they are only tiny.