SO ....... The new season

Unknown
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
After just three days of the new season the concerned voices of the past look fortuitous.

At the top of the first event sit three players with maxed 5 star one with over 2000 points the others heading in the direction.

Then a chasing pack on 1200-1500 and then everyone else.

This seems to me the worst scenario that everyone envisioned coming to fruition.

We now have a scenario where the top players and alliances (and without pointing fingers) and potentially cheaters will claim ALL the top rewards.

These rewards will undoubtedly not be needed by them BUT will stop the chasing pack from gaining them.

Leaving everyone else knowing that to reach the top now is impossible.

This is just the first round of a long season but I bet every cover I have I can name the top ten for the season today icon_e_sad.gif

Anyway I wondered if ......

A. Is this the same in other brackets and others experience?

B. If so are the devs looking at this as if it means nobody can ever compete to gain the required rewards to improve - it begs the question - what's the point of playing?

Comments

• It has been that way for over a year. Top players are taking all the placement rewards and most of the time they don't have any need for them. PVP placement rewards have needed a revamp for a long time if we expect the covers earned in PVP placement to actually help people who need them.
  • Agreed it has been but the 5 star issue has made the gap even wider when two - three players can create 800 points gaps on their nearest rivals this must be a concern
  • Said it before, the first day that 5* where released, i called for a 5* nerf, people here called me crazy, guess who that was !
    Anyway, top 100 players control this game and playing now seems useless. I am playing till the end of this season and if D3 doesn't change something, I'm done cause it's pointless icon_e_sad.gif
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    It's been said before, but I'll say it again: it's about time we had tiered leagues in PvP.

Let the 2-3* players get placement awards they need, and give 4-5* players placement awards worth competing for.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    Suggested this is another thread, but I think it would be worth revamping pvp awards to look like the new pve awards.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    Said it before, the first day that 5* where released, i called for a 5* nerf, people here called me crazy
    The way I remember it, most people were saying it was crazy for the devs to flush balance down the toilet.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    Said it before, the first day that 5* where released, i called for a 5* nerf, people here called me crazy
    The way I remember it, most people were saying it was crazy for the devs to flush balance down the toilet.

That's how I remember it too. I remember there being a thread after people played that surfer vs jean/carnage/hb(?) node where everyone flipped out over how op 5*s were/are/will be.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    Said it before, the first day that 5* where released, i called for a 5* nerf, people here called me crazy, guess who that was !
    Anyway, top 100 players control this game and playing now seems useless. I am playing till the end of this season and if D3 doesn't change something, I'm done cause it's pointless icon_e_sad.gif
    Why not join the top 100 then?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    Said it before, the first day that 5* where released, i called for a 5* nerf, people here called me crazy, guess who that was !

I played to a wonderful #22 (it went up to #17 for some odd reason the next morning) last season, with a whopping total of 4 5* covers between 3 characters, none of which were used in any event.

5*s are nice, but no-where near as bad as people think they are, nor are they breaking anything, at least that i have seen. The people who spent the money, tend to walk to 1300 and get their tokens with no shields.. but i have never seen any of them take top spot in an event. 2 Big 5* teams are currently in my bracket.. and are not taking the top spot covers from people who need it, but going out of there way to make sure they don't take them.

So far, the only advantage i have see the 5* rosters have over my 3 lvl 200+ 4*s , is they don't waste HP on shields.
  • WelcomeDeath
    Malcrof wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

I played to a wonderful #22 (it went up to #17 for some odd reason the next morning) last season, with a whopping total of 4 5* covers between 3 characters, none of which were used in any event.

5*s are nice, but no-where near as bad as people think they are, nor are they breaking anything, at least that i have seen. The people who spent the money, tend to walk to 1300 and get their tokens with no shields.. but i have never seen any of them take top spot in an event. 2 Big 5* teams are currently in my bracket.. and are not taking the top spot covers from people who need it, but going out of there way to make sure they don't take them.

So far, the only advantage i have see the 5* rosters have over my 3 lvl 200+ 4*s , is they don't waste HP on shields.
    I agree totally with this and, actually, I have seen them put out an "easy" (4*) team and then shield to share the points. I actually was top 50 last season using only 3*.
  • Why does the OP feel it necessary to insinuate that any player with a maxed 5* is a "potential cheater"? All players are "potential cheater"s.

The problem is a lack of tiers. Powerful rosters have nowhere else to go and it leaves everyone, esp. those advanced players, frustrated.

Not sure I ever said all were cheaters or even insinuated it in fact I said that more likely from the top alliances however it's easy to be jaded after recent events.

That said this is kind of getting off topic the main point was that it seems the top is dominated by the same few reducing any progression for players below as the elite few hog all the top spots and top prizes.

This ensures they are strongest and other can not power to the same.
  • vaportrail
    vaportrail Posts: 64 Match Maker
    The top players have the best rosters, that is basically how it always has been in PVP since the beginning.

Yes you did insinuate people were cheating at the top. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. It's safe to say if they don't disappear anytime soon they're probably not cheating. I've noticed more than a handful of people with suspicious rosters just disappear in the last couple weeks so yes people are being banned/sandboxed for cheating.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    To be quite honest, last year I came across more obvious cheaters than this year. So the publisher is certainly following up on reports of cheating.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

5*s are nice, but no-where near as bad as people think they are, nor are they breaking anything, at least that i have seen. The people who spent the money, tend to walk to 1300 and get their tokens with no shields.. but i have never seen any of them take top spot in an event.

Hmm I must be playing the wrong events then as the ones i ply always are won by players on above 2000 points with maxed 5 star characters.

Also to say that 5 stars offer little more than hp is crazy when with the correct match a normal match three can take 1500 points off per go - which is very damaging to must teams regardless of ability.

Again though the point is not to debate the worth of 5 stars more that we are seeing more and more the same names at the top creating a rather inbalanced community - if this gets worse it could be a problem to the game - again this is my opinion and was wondering what others takes on this was
  • vaportrail wrote:
    The top players have the best rosters, that is basically how it always has been in PVP since the beginning.

Yes you did insinuate people were cheating at the top. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. It's safe to say if they don't disappear anytime soon they're probably not cheating. I've noticed more than a handful of people with suspicious rosters just disappear in the last couple weeks so yes people are being banned/sandboxed for cheating.

No i have re read again and again and it states top alliances top players and then potentially cheaters -

This is not saying top players cheat it says there are 3 brackets of players with top rosters (in my eyes)

1 - The top players

2 - Those in top alliances

3 - Those who have potentially tried the loophole

I am not sure why you think this is me saying everyone with a top roster is a cheat and i am sorry if i offended anyone as it was not my intention - still as i keep saying this is not the point i was making anyway - its more to do with dynamics and progression for all

- on another note i think this maybe why i stopped using forums for games everyone just seems to want to ms quote mis represent and jump down everyone elses throat over everything icon_e_sad.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think it's only natural that the top players/top alliances also take the top positions. You can say that they don't need the rewards, which might be true as far as covers are concerned, but everyone does need more ISO (and HP, for those of us who are still mostly or fully F2P).

I don't think this is something that needs fixing, or that can be fixed, even. What does need fixing is the reward distribution for the tiers below that top 20-50, to ensure that 3* and even 4* covers do indeed end up in the hands of those who need them. The new PvE placement rewards seem like a step in the right direction, hopefully PvP will see a similar change as well, especially in the amount of players that can get multiple 3* covers from an event.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

I remember being skeptical one way or another until I played that Silver Surfer demo node and found I could take down the best three, fully covered, level 270, 4*s in the game with match damage alone using just that one character. Quicker if I actually used abilities.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    On season rewards alone, I don't see it as a big deal. The top prize is 25 ComPoints (1 Legendary), plus 4 Heroic ten-packs and 100 HP (one-tenth of a roster slot).

Play the probabilities, and that leads to 27 2* covers that will be sold for 6,750 ISO, 10 3* covers and 4 4* covers, with a 10% chance of that fourth 4* cover being a 5*.

I assume that a top-tier player will have earned enough tokens and 1000/1300 PvP prizes that everything below 4* will be gravy. Therefore, the season top prize will equal 4 useable covers, 100 HP (to use on the next multiple new character dump) and 11,750 ISO to dump into their favorite 5*.

It's nice, no doubt, but it's not exclusive. You could give yourself the Season Grand Prize tonight by blowing $70 of HP on a Heroic 40-pack. The bigger deal that separates the leaders from the pack is the compounded gains from multiple PvP progression and placement prizes.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

Yeah and then devs said that it was ok because it would be months or years before enough people maxed their 5*s.......
    Malcrof wrote:
    Vinmarc43 wrote:

Malcrof, I think one of your biggest problems is that you are a very fortunate person (at least in the game) and you don't know it so it distorts your perception. Bracket quality can vary savagely. The previous season, my gf for some reason got placed in a ridiculous bracket and ended at 3rd, 3rd! with like only 5k points. I had 8k+ and ended at 819th. Brackets like the one the OP describes do exist, and there's no way that you are going to steal a high position from a group of people with maxed 5* rosters unless they just don't play. But as the OP states, they are easily capable of going 2k+ per PVP and you can bet that they do not need much shielding to achieve it.

I'm not trying to dismiss your efforts, I know you work hard to get what you get, but don't fall in the trap of believing that success is a direct and inevitable result of effort in this game just because that's how it has been for you. I once held that belief as well, (not sure whether it was because I was more fortunate during my 3* transition or because 3* transition is less affected by luck —or a bit of both,) but I can no longer believe it any more.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I'm in the season bracket mentioned with the 5* guys at the top. I barely have 2 usable 4*s at 250 and just starting to level some other 4*s and I'm in ~20th, which, frankly, I'm thrilled with. I've continually increased my scoring and have had no shot at a t50 10-pk in quite a while. last season finished with 15.4K in the 60s. season before that, 13.7K in the 120s. so even with them there, I seem to be holding my own with only 2 usable 4*s at 250. so much of it is what you do with your roster, much more than the roster itself. unless you are one to battle for those t10 season finishes who fight at the top of the leaderboards consistently, I can't see how this affects you. for those with bad 5* luck who would be fighting for those spots otherwise and being beaten down by the 5* guys, that would suck and I'm sure my opinion would be much different if I were in that very narrow slice of the player base, but I'm not and I doubt I will ever commit enough hp to be there, so it really doesn't affect me much.