Tokens Vs Placements

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
The (well discussed) topic of 4/5* progression is one I've read a lot of over the last month or so. As a 3* transitioner I don't really have a stake in this race yet but it occurred to me that Legendary tokens are really designed for people with little to no 4* and above since they are the most useful to a player with nothing. To a vet with a well covered 4/5* roster they are close to worthless.

Pretty much everyone can achieve an LT from PVE events, it's not that tough and just requires patience and time really, so why not keep LT as the progression prize for newcomers since that is achievable and useful for them. Change up the ranking prizes so that top 50 get a 4* cover and top2 get a 5* cover, newcomers will be very unlikely to pick up these prizes with their young roster so it seems a better fit to make progression rewards aimed at newcomers and ranking awards aimed at vets.

This seems like a no brainer to me and even though I don't really benefit from it I think it would be a good idea to make this simple change which will stop all these posts about the unfairness of experience players progressing so slowly.

EDIT: Nominated cover prizes for 4* DDQ as well.

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    You forget there is such a thing as noob brackets, so there will still be plenty of people who's base level scaling would be destroyed by rostering a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png that will get one in your example.
  • Legendary tokens are really designed for people with little to no 4* and above since they are the most useful to a player with nothing. To a vet with a well covered 4/5* roster they are close to worthless.

I'm going to stop you right here, because this assumption is not accurate, and the rest of your idea kind of breaks down at this point.

Currently LTs are the ONLY way to get 5* characters. So for anyone without a roster full of maxed 5* characters (99.9% of the playerbase), LTs are far from worthless - in fact they are the only way to progress to a 5* roster.
  • Daiches wrote:
    You forget there is such a thing as noob brackets, so there will still be plenty of people who's base level scaling would be destroyed by rostering a star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png that will get one in your example.

Not only that, but the bracket system itself is so flawed that anyone who joins late into a fresh bracket can often finish with a very high placement with minimal effort.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Legendary tokens are really designed for people with little to no 4* and above since they are the most useful to a player with nothing. To a vet with a well covered 4/5* roster they are close to worthless.

I'm going to stop you right here, because this assumption is not accurate, and the rest of your idea kind of breaks down at this point.

Currently LTs are the ONLY way to get 5* characters. So for anyone without a roster full of maxed 5* characters (99.9% of the playerbase), LTs are far from worthless - in fact they are the only way to progress to a 5* roster.

Which is why I said 5* cover should be the prize for the top2 in rankings? Then there is another way to achieve it.

As for the issue of noob brackets, simply make the rewards for noob brackets fit their level. It really isn't that tough to simply make noob brackets have a 3* as top placement reward instead of a 5*.

EDIT: my point was - make targeted 4/5* covers more available instead of the Legendary Randomiser and leave the LT for Noobs to get via progression as it is MORE useful to them than it is for Vets
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Legendary tokens are really designed for people with little to no 4* and above since they are the most useful to a player with nothing. To a vet with a well covered 4/5* roster they are close to worthless.

Which is why I said 5* cover should be the prize for the top2 in rankings? Then there is another way to achieve it.

As for the issue of noob brackets, simply make the rewards for noob brackets fit their level. It really isn't that tough to simply make noob brackets have a 3* as top placement reward instead of a 5*.

EDIT: my point was - make targeted 4/5* covers more available instead of the Legendary Randomiser and leave the LT for Noobs to get via progression as it is MORE useful to them than it is for Vets

My last 2 PVE's and now the one currently underway, in my brackets, have been won by people with softcapped chars @ 120 and @94.. For them winning a 5* completely destroys the game for their style of play (unelss scaling is fixed, or they start 5*s off at a much lower level and put 1 iso per level to 255). Even though i am not a fan of purposely underleveling your roster, for some, it is their way of life, and this would destroy the game for them. They are vet brackets as well, due to their constant high placement!
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

My last 2 PVE's and now the one currently underway, in my brackets, have been won by people with softcapped chars @ 120 and @94.. For them winning a 5* completely destroys the game for their style of play (unelss scaling is fixed, or they start 5*s off at a much lower level and put 1 iso per level to 255). Even though i am not a fan of purposely underleveling your roster, for some, it is their way of life, and this would destroy the game for them. They are vet brackets as well, due to their constant high placement!

I think you hit on something that should be addressed (and I believe has been vaguely mentioned, but not fixed) is that soft capping your characters is _rewarded_.

You get easier missions and lose less health (which I assume leads to quicker heal times) and rewarded with ISO that you are never going to use. Meanwhile, this guy over here who thought that the point of the game was to max your characters struggled because scaling kicked in (which I wasn't aware of until much later.)

Now, with all 3's and under max covered, I keep everybody at 120 who isn't at 166. There are a few I use more often than others that I bumped up to 125-130 just to avoid needing to scroll through all the 120s to find them.
  • Malcrof wrote:
    Can we please stop claiming that 5* scaling is broken? Soft capping your roster is an abuse of the scaling mechanic to optimize your ability to place well in PvE. Adding a high level character to that soft capped roster is not a broken game element. It's exactly as the game is meant to be played. If you choose not to level your characters for preferential scaling then earning a higher level character is your problem to fix, not the devs.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can we please stop claiming that 5* scaling is broken? Soft capping your roster is an abuse of the scaling mechanic to optimize your ability to place well in PvE. Adding a high level character to that soft capped roster is not a broken game element. It's exactly as the game is meant to be played. If you choose not to level your characters for preferential scaling then earning a higher level character is your problem to fix, not the devs.
    problem is that getting a 4* for anyone is not a problem for anyone that is at least into the 1*-2* transition (2.5 levels of rarity behind). 5* scaling increases are very difficult for anyone not at least fully into maxed 3* play moving into 4* play (basically 1.5 rarity levels back), yet they make that 5* tier available via pve progression LT to those far behind that roster level. if you've **** your roster, all you have to do is level it. not everyone screwed by 5* scaling has a purposefully **** roster - they just aren't that far along yet. and now the primary method to transition to 3* (PVE), is made nearly impossible to play with 94s. those are the ones that actually need the help.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    problem is ....

edit: nevermind, this isn't the place for this discussion, and at this point it's just beating a dead horse
  • ngoni
    ngoni Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
    It would be nice if a 3 day PvP event had the same sort of CP payout that 3 days of PvE grinding does. Right now you can get 2 CP per day in PvE even without placing well in the sub. Only the top 10% of PvP players can get 2/3 CP each day. Seems out of balance to me.