My plan: skip the 4* transition completely

2»

Comments

• Soma
    Soma Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    I'm curious how this has played out for anyone....

I'm currently in a very similar situation to the OP: I feel comfortable where my 3*'s are now, but my 4*'s are under covered and overwhelmed by the 4* teams you see around the 700-1000 pts levels in PVP. If I have enough HP to hop, I can pull off the 1k progression, but it's dependent upon the boosted 3*'s for the event and if the 4* cover is desirable. But now that the 4* releases are being sped up, it feels like a Sisyphean task to try and keep pace.

That being said, I've gotten some lucky LT 5* pulls and have the ability to level my 2/3/1 JG to 345 and my 1/2/0 OML to 300. My concerns with doing this, though, are plenty:

I don't want to completely wreck my scaling during PVE and my MMR during subsequent PVP events, leading me to be forced to use JG/OML for every single match just to be viable.
    I worry that a team of those 2 5*'s and then a boosted 3* would be a huge target for established rosters during PVP (especially in light of some other posts out there from some vets who haven't had good LT pulls and aim for these types of teams) which would negate any advantage I would gain by leveling them.

On the other hand, I know that I personally skip any team with a 5* around or above lvl 300, so I wonder if my push to 1K would be easier with a leveled 5* or two. This would allow me to more easily obtain the 4* covers.

So I suppose I wouldn't skip the 4* transition completely, I would go 3*- (level some 5*'s) -4* instead, hoping that this mid-step would make the transition easier.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

http://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/Soma/
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The 4 star transition is really fun. There are lot of fun characters to use. One thing I really like about 4* tier, is that the power sets now combine multiple effects. (AOE damage, plus special tiles).

Personally, I enjoyed each phase of the game for what it was worth. 3* is alot of fun because there is a wide range of characters. 2* was a little boring because that was before the age of true healing and every fight was Ares/OBW.

Enjoy each tier for what its worth. My only real suggestion is that when your ready to move up to the next tier, do so massively and don't look behind.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2016
    Edit: sorry for the thread necro, my edit of my previous post somehow became a new post
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Be careful with that strategy. Your 3.3% draw rate on a 5* only covers 3 characters. If you don't catch what you need before they go to classics, it's 1.25% diminishing on each new release. So the latest ones had better be useful, preferably with some sort of synergy between them.

Skipping 4* entirely means your hulky 5* either needs to be joined by another comparable 5* or a much weaker 3* booster. If you blow everything you've got trying to get the latest 3 5*s to competitive status, and you don't get it before they expire, your game is going to be pretty messed up. It also is going to cost you in health packs. You're going to go into almost every battle either injured or spending.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was reading the thread then realized that it began a year ago.

How did this plan work out for the OP? I've opened tons of LTs over the past year and still have only one 5 at 8 covers with 4 at five covers. Meanwhile, my 4 star progression exploded: 7 champed, 6 at max covers, 6-8 at 10-12 covers.

Personally, I'm skipping the 5 star transition. I'll collect them, but have no intention on leveling them pass 250. 4 star land is just too much fun and I'm gonna enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Yeah, for players that only play PVE, this is basically the only path of progression. It wasn't the best idea to put LT tokens in PVE in the first place, but it's even worse that this is the PVE player's only choice at this point.

As someone who plays main PvE I'm kinda confused how the OP ended up with a roster like that. My highest covered 5* is only 5 when I've got a number some 15 in the 9-12 cover area.

EDIT:
    Nvm, should have read the whole thread. This explains it all:
    smkspy wrote:
    Was reading the thread then realized that it began a year ago.

I ironically I did look at the date, just skipped the year since 12/16 seemed reasonable close for an active thread. Thanks for the necro and the lulz
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    I'm really close to the 1 year mark (day 353) and I only have 1 4* at 13 covers (fisk, and it's not optimal nor a powerhouse). Back in Aug, I would have been in your situation with most of my 3* maxed and all 4* with little to no covers at all. What I would suggest is to concentrate more on pvp. Hit those 1k progress rewards and dial back your pve to the legendary tokens and the two command points each sub (unless it's a new release event). Just looking at my gamependium history, the last 3-4 months I have gotten way more 4* covers each month (would have been slightly more if I didn't pull so many duplicates as gamependium only track covers you recruited, unless you decides to recruit all duplicates) than I did each quarter before then.

interesting data, but I had a different result. You suggest focusing on PvP. I've been focusing on PvE and playing for a shorter timeframe (day 294) and it sounds like I'm very close to the same boat (and that's with hoarding CP for over 2 months now).

Currently I have 2 4*s with 12 covers, 1 with 11, 3 with 10, 3 with 9, etc. I'm currently sitting on 937 CP and 23 Latest Legends. It doesn't sound to me that PvP is helping you progress all that much. I don't have the kind of data you do, but I started my horde around 10/15 sometime (I remember it was just a few weeks before 'no pull november' and in that time I earned I've earned enough CP/Tokens to pull 60 - 69 (69 using CP for Classic instead of Latest). Add to that 1-2 progression 4* from 1 per event (let's say 1.5 for average) that's another 15 covers. So estimate 75 - 84 covers in 2.5 months and that's about on par with what your data is showing.

From my experience with the game it's WAY easier to get a 4* covers from PvE:
    Progression Cover - PvE you just need the time commitment, it's pretty easy to do if you have the time. PvP, I've grinded for hours multiple different times and never hit 1000. I generally hit 600-800 then get constantly smacked down by the 100s.
    Progression 25 CP - See above, same thing expect the final 15 CP is even higher.
    Placement - Sucks for both unless you have tons of time or already have a good 4* roster.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Good luck with that lol.
    I was trying to do the same but while waiting for covers for OML (hes stuck at level 390 for ages) i managed to champ 12 (!!) 4* covers.
    Sure, OML is better than all of them, but promoting them gives tons of rewards plus, most importantly, LTs and CPs.
    I believe it is wiser than selling 4*s which will be inevitable for you.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    What they should do is put a CP cap at 800. Enough to let you buy a cover and a buffer but not enough to allow mass hoarding and potentially skipping 4*. If you play pvp I doubt it is viable to skip 4*. They will put in 4* pvp and your man in the middle will almost always suck. It will be another counter to people trying to skip it.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Yeah, for players that only play PVE, this is basically the only path of progression. It wasn't the best idea to put LT tokens in PVE in the first place, but it's even worse that this is the PVE player's only choice at this point.

they aren't.

Cp are.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    What they should do is put a CP cap at 800. Enough to let you buy a cover and a buffer but not enough to allow mass hoarding and potentially skipping 4*. If you play pvp I doubt it is viable to skip 4*. They will put in 4* pvp and your man in the middle will almost always suck. It will be another counter to people trying to skip it.

No one cares what tier you skip when the primary way to do it is by money.

There's no path in this game necessarily.

There's the free path and money path.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:

No one cares what tier you skip when the primary way to do it is by money.

There's no path in this game necessarily.

There's the free path and money path.

LOL so true so true
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    This strategy only works if you are fairly lucky. I have really expanded my 4* roster over the past 6 months compared to 5*. The reason is I have almost every 5* (Thanos is the exception) however I usually only have 1-3 covers for each due to the expanding number of 5*. My best 5* is OML....at 6 covers with no yellow...so he is totally useless. In that same time I have picked up several 4* that are close to getting 13 covers (a few actually have 13 covers). At least you now have a better shot at specific 4* covers with the changes to progression rewards in PvE. In addition, your draw rates would have to be very good for 5* to outpace the standard progression of 4* LT draws + 4* rewards from other sources (progression, PvP, heroic tokens, vault draws etc).
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    Developing the 4* tier is better because:
    1) It's faster to develop
    2) Boosted 4*s are almost as good as 5*s at level 450
    3) PvE scaling is horrible with 5*s
    4) You'll have more variety in gameplay with 4*s

This doesn't mean don't work on 5*s, just make that a future goal
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    broll wrote:
    From my experience with the game it's WAY easier to get a 4* covers from PvE:
    Progression Cover - PvE you just need the time commitment, it's pretty easy to do if you have the time. PvP, I've grinded for hours multiple different times and never hit 1000. I generally hit 600-800 then get constantly smacked down by the 100s.
    Progression 25 CP - See above, same thing expect the final 15 CP is even higher.
    Placement - Sucks for both unless you have tons of time or already have a good 4* roster.

My edit somehow got made into a new post. I normally edit it once a month to add the new stats. That comment was back before 4* were added to pve placement rewards, which is obviously before the 4* was added to progress in higher scl. So yes, I do agree that now pve is better for 4* progression, if you can reliably reach top 10. Otherwise it's 3-7 days for a 4* cover mid progression compared to 1 every 2-3 days in pvp.
  • Pinko_McFly
    Pinko_McFly Posts: 282 Mover and Shaker
    While Pongie did not do this on purpose, I think it's kind of cool to see this resurfaced and remember all that has changed on the past year.
    It would be nice to hear back from the OP on how his plan went, but with the introduction of champions, more 5*s diluting the odds and SCLs, I wonder if his approach changed at any point.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    GurlBYE wrote:
    scottee wrote:

they aren't.

Cp are.

Yes, but a year ago when this post you just quoted was made, Command Points were new and hadn't yet replaced the Legendary Tokens as PvE progression rewards.

Also, referring to scottee's post that you quoted, I don't get why putting a LT in PvE was a bad idea.