MMR and Scaling and Rosters, oh my

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Thought I would throw out the thoughts that I think for all to thee....

I have been playing since very close to Day 1; thanks to early pricing, I loaded up on cover slots on the front end, and have a full collection characters (and an extra OBW - curse you five recon !)

Without counting, I would estimate I have about 80% of all covers in place. I do not have any 3* characters over 100, however my entire collection are all about 60%-65% of their max level potential - or less. (personally, I abhor the thought of pouring ISO into Daken, Yelena, or Venom >*shudder*<)

I pick up and play when I can; lunch at work, a bit in the evening, and a maybe 4 hours or so on weekends. I saw, and am seeing, a LOT of 230 battles (most of TaT, Oscorp), and Simulator has most of these cowboys well over, 100, including a lot of 161+, and a few 230s. And I do all right on tourneys; most always in the top 45 if I work a bit, and top 10 about half the time when I go for it.

Nothing really seems "out of balance" as far as level scaling goes. There should be a challenge to the game, some thought behind selecting the best team to match your opponent. Much as I like Patch, sometimes y'all jes can't bring a knife to a gunfight. And I learned the lesson from Ragnarok (via others) - I have Spidey chained to the thresher making' hay (well, webs) while the sun still shines. And I have fun - I will throw out Hulk with Patch, and watch the bad guys off themselves by making Hulk angry. O my team too, but oh, if you like green popcorn....

So, in brief, the game is challenging, I enjoy playing, and what? five months in and I am still playing a game on my phone. I like it, I play. The corollary is - if you don't like the game, then don't play it.

Another tip o' the hat to the Devs, a No Prize is in the mail.

Excelsior!

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think my main beef with the scaling is that normal mode is scaled up to a point where you can't comfortably farm for iso without using boosts. I don't want to be challenged 100% of the time: fighting level 160 people for my 500 iso rewards in normal mode is just extremely tedious, and makes me feel punished for having a strong roster. Hard mode can eventually scale up to 230 since hard mode should be hard and challenging, but normal mode should be toned down such that the levels cap out at a lower ceiling: say range from 85-130.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My beef with scaling is that people who've been playing one week casually
    can clear pve and pvp content easier AND faster for you and end up with more points unless you put in 2~3x the time
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    huh AFAIK the scaling you get (PvE events) is now bracket-wide and is not based in any way on your roster...
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Vinny J wrote:
    (personally, I abhor the thought of pouring ISO into Daken

Whatchoo talkin' about? I've been beating 230s with Rag/Daken. Hell, I have a 70 max cover Doom (8k HP with his ~100% buff) and I benched him for the ISO fight on Hard Mode so I could use Rags/Daken/Spidey. He's tanky as hell in this tournament.

Daken's a beast. Even without the buff, he's still a passable 2**.
  • It's not the playability of Daken or his value in the game I have an issue with - my issue is that it's Daken !