Sandbox Volunteer

cardoor
cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
From what I have read, being sand-boxed means that you can play at your own pace and as much as you want for fun and still progress in the game because you will always come in first place. Is that true?

The downside seems to be that you will lose your alliance and any competitiveness. The former might be inevitable for me anyway because I am finding the every 8 hour grind to be too much. The latter I do not care about. I enjoy the Marvel universe and just playing the game for fun.

Please let me know if I am missing anything. I would rather not cheat/exploit in order to be sand-boxed and would rather just volunteer if it is as I described above. Thanks for any info/experience you can provide.

Comments

• STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    My understanding is that you don't always come in first, you still get ranked among the legit players. You just don't affect them in any way. So you could still be SOL. However, in PvP you can't be attacked and your attacks don't harm anyone else. So you could just attack everyone you can and get all the progression rewards and possibly rank rewards easier.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    this sounds like there is finally some kind of progression
    why is this considered punishment again?
  • Flare808
    Flare808 Posts: 266
    Think of it as being a ghost. You can see everyone, walk amongst them, but they can never see you. You can attack anyone, but they never see your attacks. You can score first, last or anywhere in between. If you do place first, whoever is in second in your bracket (the first place legit player) will also get top rewards.

Like you mentioned, you can't join an alliance.

Personally, I play MPQ because I have fun with my alliance. Without them, I would have walked away a long time ago. If you're okay playing with your toys alone, being sandboxed isn't that bad, particularly if you have infinite HP, since you can get 5*s at will. Be warned though, a sandboxed friend said it still took a while to pull a maxed 5* since the tokens are so random.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Talk of sandboxing makes me thunk of this Twighlight Zone episode....
    https://youtu.be/j4U-UUFYPLE
    To See the Invisible Man
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    You don't get to come in first all the time.
    In PVP, you cannot be seen and thus cannot be attacked. But if your roster is not good enough to beat the other rosters to get the most points, you still won't come in first.
    In PVE, you may have occasionally noticed 1001/1000 players in a bracket, most likely a sandboxed player. Same case as PVP, you still need to grind out the points if you want to come in first. And without a good roster, I am not sure how you intend to outgrind the other players.

In conclusion, if you want to get sandbox, you might as well get unlimited HP and CP and fully cover everything.
    (It'll take a while to get Devil Dino and Bagman though) Then, you can test out everything the game has to offer but without the competitiveness, it gets boring.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    ammenell wrote:
    this sounds like there is finally some kind of progression
    why is this considered punishment again?
    It's not really meant to be a "punishment". It's to remove you from the pool of legitimate players so you don't unfairly affect their ranking and competitive landscapes. Whether one thinks of that as a punishment or not is up to them.
  • I just volunteered for it myself via a ticket, since I'd quit the competitive side of this game last week and just playing the occasional PvE casually with a full roster sounds like heaven to me. Not to mention taking away the need to grind DDQ, LR and everything else.

I got sent back this:

"Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

Unfortunately, it is against our policy to "sandbox" any account that is not found cheating. This area is reserved for players who have cheated in the game, so they may still play, but only against other cheaters. This area does not unlock any benefits separate from the main game, it simply restricts a cheater from hurting the gameplay of a legitimate player."

So the only way to volunteer for it is hunt down the details of how to use this exploit online, then get sandboxed for abusing it. Seems like more work for all involved, but if that's your policy...
  • ammenell
    I just volunteered for it myself via a ticket, since I'd quit the competitive side of this game last week and just playing the occasional PvE casually with a full roster sounds like heaven to me. Not to mention taking away the need to grind DDQ, LR and everything else.

I got sent back this:

"Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

Unfortunately, it is against our policy to "sandbox" any account that is not found cheating. This area is reserved for players who have cheated in the game, so they may still play, but only against other cheaters. This area does not unlock any benefits separate from the main game, it simply restricts a cheater from hurting the gameplay of a legitimate player."

So the only way to volunteer for it is hunt down the details of how to use this exploit online, then get sandboxed for abusing it. Seems like more work for all involved, but if that's your policy...
    shouldnt take long to force them to sandbox you
    i personally think its a viable option when the game gets boring
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I recall a D3 post some time ago confirming you can not choose to go sandbox voluntarily.
    Huatimus wrote:
    You don't get to come in first all the time.
    In PVP, you cannot be seen and thus cannot be attacked. But if your roster is not good enough to beat the other rosters to get the most points, you still won't come in first.
    In PVE, you may have occasionally noticed 1001/1000 players in a bracket, most likely a sandboxed player. Same case as PVP, you still need to grind out the points if you want to come in first. And without a good roster, I am not sure how you intend to outgrind the other players.

In conclusion, if you want to get sandbox, you might as well get unlimited HP and CP and fully cover everything.
    (It'll take a while to get Devil Dino and Bagman though) Then, you can test out everything the game has to offer but without the competitiveness, it gets boring.

Sorry Huatimus but I still do not get it; you can progress, getting and keeping new covers and increasing levels; if you have to grind to place high on events, there's still competitiveness (your actions just never affect anyone else's), with the plus that you cannot be attacked in PvP? Sounds too good to a close to burnout player, tbh...
  • Exactly. To be 1st on pvp you need more score than the #1 legit player. Same on pve. You do not have your own bracket, so if you are thinking it's easier you are wrong.

If you still gonna try just hack your game and add 1m iso, you gonna be sanboxed instantly (many legit players were too when they hit the magic number and released upon review).
  • ShionSinX wrote:
    Exactly. To be 1st on pvp you need more score than the #1 legit player. Same on pve. You do not have your own bracket, so if you are thinking it's easier you are wrong.

If you still gonna try just hack your game and add 1m iso, you gonna be sanboxed instantly (many legit players were too when they hit the magic number and released upon review).

What you've just said there makes no sense at all for PvP:

You still need to score more than the 1st player yes, but it IS EASIER because you cannot be attacked by anyone else, so forget shields/shield hops/line cookie team shenanigans/having to time your day around when to play or any of that rubbish, just play when you want without fear of return attacks and every game you play will give you points that you get to keep.

Finally a way that I can time my playing of this game around the rest of my life, instead of the other way around!!!

Sounds a fair bit easier to get first place with that doesn't it? Not to mention the 1000/1300 progression rewards that are now easy as pie to get, instead of wasting an evening of play for a 'chance' of getting the 1000 one, and more often than not ending up disappointed with a wasted evening and nothing to show for it.

PvE I grant you, would be exactly the same as it is now, just without any Alliance benefits. Being Sandboxed doesn't stop you from trying out any of the new ones though, or playing the occasional Gauntlet for kicks.

So cheat your way to infinite iso and hp, and you'll be left alone to play the game how you want, safe in the knowledge that you aren't adversely effecting anyone else's gameplay by doing so. I ask again, where is the bad side to this?
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Sorry to insist, but I would really like to fully understand this; from what i read in this thread:
    * Sandboxed PVE is prectically equal to standard, only that your ranking do not count towards legit players ranking.
    * Sandboxed PvP is like standard, but the result of your fight do not have any effect on legit players, and you can not be attacked back. Gains per battle may get very small at top scores, but the legit player score to beat will be limited, as he will have to stay shielded or risk get pushed back, wich you wont. How can this be NOT easier????
    * Unlimited HP and ISO when sandboxed? Can any confirm this?

EDITED, after Monged post; exactly my thoughts
  • ammenell
    Wolarsen wrote:
    [...]
    * Unlimited HP and ISO when sandboxed? Can any confirm this?
    [...]
    would be interested in that too.
    just out of the gate? this seems more and more enjoyable
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    There's no unlimited HP or iso in the sandbox. It's just that people who hack/mod the game to get unlimited HP and iso get sandboxed. What others are saying is if you want to get sandboxed cheat your way there.
  • does it work the same in LRs too? maybe able to clean up in there missing all the feeding frenzy

Edit: also sign me up for volunteer sandbox it sounds like everything i want from this game.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    I'm just answering OP wrt coming in first in every event. And secondly, getting sandbox does not magically give you unlimited HP, CP and ISO. You'd have to hack to get that, which would automatically get you sandbox.

In short, don't bother volunteering to get sandbox. What is the point of grinding PVE/PVP when you can just buyout every single character?
    If you're burnt out, make a new account and sandbox it to test out stuff. No need to sandbox your main account.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    I strongly suggest not sandboxing your main account. If you want to have a sandboxed account, make one on Steam so you can easily hack it. Also extremely important: you cannot play any alliance events at all. That means no Ultron and no Galactus events. Being sandboxed removes all feeling of real progression. It is boring after a while.
  • ammenell
    notamutant wrote:
    I strongly suggest not sandboxing your main account. If you want to have a sandboxed account, make one on Steam so you can easily hack it. Also extremely important: you cannot play any alliance events at all. That means no Ultron and no Galactus events. Being sandboxed removes all feeling of real progression. It is boring after a while.
    thats the first negative point, thx

still disagree about the progression. being able to regularly hit 1300 every pvp because no matter how long it takes to beat the highest teams, you dont lose points. this renders grinding (and the above contra) in pve obsolete

i feel its the other way around - real progression is boring and frustrating when 4* players win all 3* rewards just to sell them

this opens a whole new game for me.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Progression would be useless if you hacked unlimited iso and hp. Once you got one cover in a power, it's maxed with hp. There's no need to grind, even if it's easier for top progression scores.

Eventually you have one of every power and stop having any real reason to play. And with unlimited hp, you might just keep buying tokens until you get the cover you want. So playing would have very little point any more, and the game wouldn't be fun to play if there's no reason for it. A couple matches with each new character just to get a feel for them maybe?
  • Well I have no real reason to play now; grinding away for hours a day, occasionally putting other parts of my life on hold just for the chance at covers that I may or may not need. You may play for the dream of that eventually paying off for you but I'm tired of it.
    Taking away the progression would be fantastic, because it would take away the urge to pour too many hours into a game with such little payout. I could play it for fun instead! Wouldn't that be a novelty?

I want control of my own game, if that means setting a challenge to myself, like playing an event with subpar characters to see if I can do it, I don't want that to be punished with a huge -score and the knowledge I've let my alliance down, so I'd better write off the next 2 hours making up for it. 4* DDQs and the Gauntlet would be immense fun as I'd actually be able to play them with a chance of winning.

I would love to create a separate account and "get it sandboxed", but I'd rather not have to learn how to break the game's code to do that, when it could just be done to me anyway...

Edit: I realise how bitter my feelings towards this game are coming off as in this thread, and want to add that I have had a lot of fun building my roster over the past year. But these days I see the game as more and more of an addiction than as a hobby, and right now sandboxing looks like the perfect cure.