POLL: Tournament length

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
With the Simulator Basic tournament lasting almost 10 days, I was wondering what the community thinks is the best tournament length. Since the poll system is a bit limited, please use your 2 choices, one for PVE and one for PVP.

I think it's tough to keep track and be commited to one tournament for 10 days, especially when you have to work. Also it's gotten a bit stale with the time just doing the same 2 set of phases (yes with different enemies) over and over. Not sure if the main bracket will open up more later on or if it's restricted to Phase1/2.

I'd love some more short lived PVE content like 2-3 or 4-5 days.

PVP tournaments should be 2 days max. I think people play the most close to finish anyways.

Some sort of daily mission/quest would be nice to have as well.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PVP is fine, at the moment the duration of the tournaments don't favour any particular timezone in particular and favours a global audience.

In PVE, I think 7 days is ideal so that there is better flow in terms of consumable content. I think they should end on weekends rather than starting on the weekends so that we see tighter and more competitive finishes.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    PVP 4 days, PVE 8

PVP really should just go back to the format that we had back in like, November. No shields, people could get to 800 easily but that was pretty much the endpoint of a tournament. No zero-sum ****. A hard push for 1100 could be made during down-times that might actually result in getting a 3-star cover.
  • Since the option isn't available...

PVE should last between 5-7 days (either lasting the whole week or going from Monday-Friday).
    PVP should last 36 hours since the bulk of the tournament is done in the last few hours anyway.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In regard to the Simulator maps, I was also expecting different maps for each of the subs - I guess that's in line with previous events, although having different enemies on the nodes for each new sub kinda makes sense since it's supposed to be a simulation room.
    Speaking of maps - how about a Madripoor map? Complete with Hand Ninja mooks. We've got Daredevil and soon Psylocke, so they need some thematically appropriate goons (yes, I know DD fights Maggia - he didn't show up in Thick as Thieves, it's too late for that now icon_razz.gif).

Given the format for The Simulator, I think that 10/2.5 days is too long. Each sub feels more or less "completed" within 24-36 hours, everything after that has felt like a drag. For me I've not seen much variance to the ladder in my subs past that point. So I think 6 days with 4x 1.5 day subs would be perfect.... for The Simulator. On the other hand, I really liked the timing of ~26 hour subs for Thick as Thieves. Rolling from one sub to another at different points during the day meant it didn't feel like clockwork (the ridiculous grind did) and I think that the "rolling sub" format would have fit the theme of the simulator room even better, "Okay agents, we've fine tuned a new batch of challenges".

PVP is okay, I guess. 12am/12pm EST finishes are 4pm/4am for me (respectively), so not great. I noticed that the recent Double Shot had different end times. I think it was the first one that ended at 11pm for me, so that was nice. Generally PvP is shorter and usually has the added bonus of offering progression rewards, so I can always make an early push and then throw in a tank team if I'm not willing to wake up at 4am to compete for a prize (pro tip: I'm not willing to wake up at 4am to compete for a prize). Lightning Rounds are also good, despite the lack of prog rewards. They don't require a huge investment of my time - if I'm going for a win, it's only 90 minutes; if I just want the prog rewards, it's maybe 10-15 minutes.

For me it comes down to the fact that in PvE, I can call most subs too far in advance and enemy scaling means I've been able to see who's going to win my main from about 2 days ago, so for all intents and purposes, they could just end the event now and I think everybody is going to end up with the same reward that they would get in another 4 days time. So the event has become boring for me now; it's a chore to grind down a few stacks every 12 hours - at least there have been enough concurrent PvP events to keep me distracted when I need it.
  • pve is definitely too long. I have now no more fun ... 9 days grind, grind, grind with a bad scaling system again ... It sucks at the moment. Many of the changes were good, but after a few hours you lose the fun. PvP time is ok.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was pretty excited yesterday when round 2 was ending - meant I could lookup and see my familty again - but then BAM! Round three. I think that it would only make sense for long tournaments if there were ads so as to maximize the visibility. But in lieu of those, it seems like they expect players to spend more money over the course of a long tourney to stay competitive. But that doesn't really work if there are no real rewards to strive towards other than to pat yourself on the back for a top 10 finish. I voted for 3 day tourneys - I figure that will be frequent enough to maintain interest and long enough for people to think their $$$ is really going to help them win.
  • I think this PvE has been the best one yet. They just need to cap the max enemy levels on some of the missions.

PvP is a mixed bag. One ione hand, it's cool you can grind for 1 1/2 hours, get to about 500-600 points, shield and still get a decent prize. But, it felt more satisfying back when you would have to make 2-3 'surges' in an effort to get 800-1000 points (and get progression prizes worth a damn in the process) to place.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I think this PvE has been the best one yet. They just need to cap the max enemy levels on some of the missions.

I think this Simulator event is okay. It's absolutely heaven for ISO grind but also understandably it's story hook is very weak. In this sense IMO two Hulk tourneys were the best compromise and offered all I crave from an MPQ PvE campaign.

Full week is the best PvE length starting from Monday to Sunday. But on the other hand mixed PvP lengths would be the best. I'm indifferent between 1-3 day length in PvP. More important variation is when the tourney actually ends. That should change from time to time just to give the edge for European and Asian time zone players too (sometimes it already has).
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I think this PvE has been the best one yet. They just need to cap the max enemy levels on some of the missions.

+1 Thats the problem.... pvp is now heavier than pve and the normal mode is the same like hard mode.... icon_e_sad.gif