Mo' Iso, Mo' Money!

Raffoon
Raffoon Posts: 884
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Maybe I'm the only one, but when the last sale came around, I bought some HP. I felt pretty terrible about doing it while that anniversary disaster was happening, but I figured I'd probably be playing the game for a while more, and so I wanted to get a discount while I could.

For reference, I'm on day 700 with 3 maxed 4*s and a variety of other 4*s that are starting to get pretty strong. My 3*s are all around 120, except for probably 10 or so that are maxed. (that's just an estimate, I don't have my roster in front of me)

So, here I am, months later, and I'm still sitting on that same pile of HP. (minus about 3 very strategically bought covers to get certain skills to 5) Why is that? Well, I have nowhere to spend it.
For a while, there were a few key covers I was completely missing from some 4*s. At this point though, I've found at least 1 of pretty much every cover and could just completely whale any 4* that I wanted. But what's the point of covering a character that you can't level?

I think that the lack of ISO is discouraging HP sales. IF ISO flowed at a higher rate, I'd have spent my HP already and I'd be thinking about buying more at some point in the future. As it stands, I don't have anywhere to spend my HP, so why buy more?

Does anyone else feel the same way? There's no real incentive to buy more covers when you can't level the characters that you bought them for.

Comments

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    i think you never see a massive sale on ISO is cause i would guess that at least 75% of people who put money into this game only use it for slots
  • Can't say I can relate to that. I'm still far more cover and HP starved then Iso starved.

I'd argue that Iso-starved is at least a more fun way to progress. You can add another level on a character you care about way easier then you can add a cover, or a roster slot of the same sort.

I'd happily give you 100,000 Iso for 1,000 HP. In an instant. icon_razz.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Raffoon wrote:
    But what's the point of covering a character that you can't level?

Covers > Levels and it's not even close. If it was possible to max a 1/1/1 to 270 they would still be garbage, but a 13 cover lvl 120 4* can still do some serious damage.

I'm not saying your point is invalid. The iso shortage is real, just that you shouldn't let it stop you from buying covers if you have nothing else to do with your hp.
  • If you wanted to convert HP to Iso, you COULD buy DDQ Vault tokens.

I think that's the only thing out there that you can spend HP and get a flat out Iso load out.

(Not nearly enough of course, but what is?)
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Raffoon wrote:
    But what's the point of covering a character that you can't level?

Covers > Levels and it's not even close. If it was possible to max a 1/1/1 to 270 they would still be garbage, but a 13 cover lvl 120 4* can still do some serious damage.

I'm not saying your point is invalid. The iso shortage is real, just that you shouldn't let it stop you from buying covers if you have nothing else to do with your hp.

Hmmmm.... That's a good point, I hadn't really given that very much thought. I suppose it could help with PVE. I'm never going to use a level 120-150 4* in PVP though. It would be like putting up a big "kick me" sign on my back.
    colwag wrote:
    If you wanted to convert HP to Iso, you COULD buy DDQ Vault tokens.

I think that's the only thing out there that you can spend HP and get a flat out Iso load out.

(Not nearly enough of course, but what is?)

Another interesting point. I wonder what the ISO payout on the DDQ vault is. Could it be that it pays more ISO than straight out buying ISO? The straight-buying ISO rates are so bad that I actually wouldn't be surprised if it did!

I'll admit I've thought about buying 40 packs for the legendary token, and the extra 13k iso I'd get from selling a bunch of 2*s is not an insignificant factor.
  • Raffoon wrote:
    Another interesting point. I wonder what the ISO payout on the DDQ vault is. Could it be that it pays more ISO than straight out buying ISO? The straight-buying ISO rates are so bad that I actually wouldn't be surprised if it did!

I'll admit I've thought about buying 40 packs for the legendary token, and the extra 13k iso I'd get from selling a bunch of 2*s is not an insignificant factor.

Did the math, and a full Vault has about 127750 iso8.png in it, assuming you sell all 2 star.png ,3 star.png , and 4 star.png covers in it.

Assuming Hero Points and Health Packs are neutralish, that leaves 245 Iso pulls, at an average of about 521 iso8.png ~ each. Or, assuming Hero Points and Health Packs are just 0s, 425~ iso8.png each.

So, getting a 40x pull at 7000 imcoin.png and a 10X at 1800 imcoin.png would get you around 21K Iso

8,500 imcoin.png is $50. $50 also gets you 37.5K Iso

So no, it's not a better deal unless you get lucky. Not Big Surprise.
  • I agree completely and am in the same boat. Have a bunch of HP stored up with nothing to spend it on. What ISO I am trying to save gets used up leveling useless 4*s for DDQ. My goal is to save enough ISO to take a newly released 4* from 70 to 270 and then whale the next new OP character that comes out immediately when it gives me the greatest advantage.
  • I'm in exactly the same situation as the OP, I have all 3*'s optimally covered and around 20 of them maxed. Most of my 4*'s are also fully covered, but I lack a mountain of ISO to level them to max. And I do play the game more than I should (around 3/4 hours per day), always getting top 5 in PvP and at least the LT token in PvE and multiple LR's, so there's no way to increase my ISO income via playing.

I do have around 20k of HP and besides not having to care about how many shields and boosts I use per PvP I don't have a real use for the HP. But paying € 100 for 78k ISO is beyond ridiculous.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same here - I use HP for a cover here and there, but I mostly just keep a stockpile to ensure I can always shield in PvP.

I would happily buy ISO if the exchange rate on it weren't so atrocious. Even during the anniversary with the 20% bonus I couldn't justify it.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same as OP. I have all 3s and 2s Max covered, and my 4s are all getting there as well. However the lack of ISO is crippling.

The only way I would buy ISO is if they added a 0 to each purchase option.
  • Daiches wrote:
    The only way I would buy ISO is if they added a 0 to each purchase option.

Was going to say the same thing. If they had a one-time offer of 10x ISO I would probably spend $200 on ISO. But $100 for 70k? Not a chance.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    I guess im in same boat as op i have at least 3 4 star that i cant lvl up because the iso needed is way too much.im actually takin a season off competitively because i want to make sure every bit of iso goes into these toons
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    I've currently reached a point where my favourite 3*s are maxed or nearly there and 4*s are clearly becoming the more important jump.

ISO feels really slow for levelling 4*s I think there needs to be some hefty ISO rewards in PVE and PVP event rewards to offset this shift to the next tier that is now becoming the main driver of the game.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    I'd happily give you 100,000 Iso for 1,000 HP. In an instant. icon_razz.gif
    me and many others in this thread would take you up on that in a heartbeat (much more reasonable than $100 for 78K). I've spent some hp on covers. six 3* covers in my 3* transition and three 4* covers in my 4* transition. I've also used those marginally well to get well into my 4* transition now (5 at 13 covers and ~6 others with 10+). I'm also struggling for iso and I consistently play LRs - probably play a dozen every week. I can add covers, although that will be more of a struggle moving forward, as I finish more and more abilities. those that are mid-late 4* transition are adding covers that cost a ton to level. however, we will soon be added to those who struggle getting useful pulls and the iso shortage will start to get better because we will be adding useful covers less and less. I think there are several major factors in my personal iso struggles:

* mid-4* transitioner where adding covers is expensive to level
    * recently started grinding harder in pve, but less often. when I grind, I iso-boost for speed and that means every grind is iso-negative
    * the prevalence of CCs in PVP and my unwillingness to line up costs me a lot in skip iso, so where pvp at one point was iso positive, its a huge iso sink now
    * recently started hoarding all tokens and earned covers, which was a huge source of iso - selling all 1, 2, and 3*s

so basically my iso positive stuff is down to ddq and LRs. I have been selling 1*s to boost my iso every once in a while. my queue is up to 63 covers and my tokens are: 55 std, 52 heroic and event tokens, 5 LTs. that's a lot of iso sitting there. as soon as we know what the 'new feature' will be, there could be an immediate iso flush come in. or they could be used for other purposes, who knows. also, in 8 days i'll have to start selling earned covers, which will be a royal PITA having to scroll to the bottom of what will be >150 for every individual sell.