Return, Destroy, Remove

Options
All of these effects seem to trigger as the same resolution, while to my understanding being separate and unique abilities.

For instance if you use a voidmage's enter play effect to bounce a guardian automaton back to your opponents hand they will be healed for 2 life and then are free to play the creature again on their subsequent turn.

Whereas the expected resolution would be that the creature would be returned to the opponents hand and its on destruction effect would not trigger since the creature is not being destroyed.

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whoa, bouncing creatures triggers their on death effects?
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    Yep, bouncing appears to be implemented as destroy + put into hand. You can get a clue towards this by watching the graphics for Displacement Wave: Each creature gets a brief "-N" red gloss as it's "bouncing", just the same as when it gets hit by a creature with deathtouch.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    alextfish wrote:
    Yep, bouncing appears to be implemented as destroy + put into hand. You can get a clue towards this by watching the graphics for Displacement Wave: Each creature gets a brief "-N" red gloss as it's "bouncing", just the same as when it gets hit by a creature with deathtouch.

Untrue! If a creature is bounced to an opponent that has a full hand that creature is destroyed. If a creature is bounced to an opponent with 5 or less cards that card will not trigger destroy/on death effects.

This can easily be tested on "Kill X of your opponents creature" objectives. Bouncing to a full hand raises your kill count; bouncing to a less than full hand does not.

This is part of the reason Jace is so strong. He has multiple bounce spells that cause the spell to gain mana when it is returned to their hand; the drawbacks for bounce spells are completely negated if the opponent already has a full hand. Disperse goes from a 4 mana tempo spell to a 4 mana kill spell (cheapest removal in the game).
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    Ahh, heh, yes. I did just notice that myself today. I tend to keep my hand full whenever possible, so that does mean Displacement Wave is usually a Wrath against me icon_e_smile.gif