Simple solution to a few problems.

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I've seen quite a few people complain about people with horrible rosters being very competitive in pvp.
I've seen complaints that you are bracketed yet never fighting people in your bracket.
I've seen a ton of people complain their mmr variety was too small.

In the elite tourneys something I noticed was when someone in the top 10 broke their shield and you were near their rank they were easy to target. In other pvp tourneys when I'm in top 10 and someone else on top 10 breaks shield Snd can do 50 skips and not be able to find them when in elite tourney it never seems to take even 10.

I think this would be really simple to add and would basically since all of this. On top of the normal matchmaking, whenever in a pvp tourney any1 within 15 ranks, up or down, or your current tank should show up in your match making.

This way you have your usual opponents.
If you are at the top and are in 0 point land you can at least find ranks 2-15 for a reasonable amount of points.
It allows you to defend yourself while up top.
It allows beginners to be competitive while still allowing pro's a means to defend theirselves from bein overtaken.
It widens the range of opponents you can fight.
It increases competitiveness for top tanks because you could still show up even while shielded.
It brings progression rewards more in reach while preventing boosting from tank teams because only close competitors can hit you.

This increases the suspense, competition, shield usage, and I believe overall game play.

There could be some flaws or loop holes or something I'm missing. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    How does it allow beginners to be competetive? If they are default visible to people around them their weaker rosters get smashed. I don't like that we give this 'path to victory' to new players by making them basically untargetable now, but this 'solution' is the exact opposite.

Additionally if you can target shielded players again then you get the top 15 pulling away from the rest because they can target the shielded players around them and not drop points.

Meanwhile if you are in the middle points, you keep seeing people + or - 15 places from yourself and end up trading points and going nowhere. YOur chances of seeing someone with a higher point score to give you a leg up the ladder is reduced.
  • I would probably support some form of it but I can already imagine the pure chaos the last few hours will be when you are not only fighting your mmr but you may get gangbanged by 10 other guys/gals in your top 15. In elite you guys shielded/unshielded quick. If this was occuring throughout the tourney, I would hate all pvp events turn into tourneys where blowing 1k in shields would be needed unless you caught your 15 napping.

Maybe they hit your radar in last 2 hrs or something?
  • Ok I can see a little bit of reasoning in over shielding.

Perhaps this would be a cause to reduce shield prices slightly and/or implement an algorithm where the withing ranks only shows up 33% as much as usual mmr.
  • I've had tournaments where the guys in my brackets are all opponents I can fight.

It's probably a good idea to not be able to fight guys in your own bracket easily because otherwise nobody would ever get anywhere.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I've had tournaments where the guys in my brackets are all opponents I can fight.

It's probably a good idea to not be able to fight guys in your own bracket easily because otherwise nobody would ever get anywhere.

I don't think it would hinder people as much as you think, especially if chances compared to usual mmr were reduced.

1/3 chance you see someone within 15 places of your rank.
    The amount of skips should be reduced by upcoming ISO bonus feature.
    I think it would have minimal effect on progression, especially since at mid tanks you are all so right knit you can easily move in and out of opponents views. 20 points might separate #630 from #684 while they are gaining 26 point / match.
  • The only thing to do here is to make brackets of equal level players. One with lvl 60 heroes shouldn't fight against lvl 140 ones, sounds just logical.
    Nothing else can work, never seen heavy weight against light weight in sport, if D3 thinks they're better at making "new gen" brackets type than any other old & professional organizations, they're all wrong.

Make the fight fair & equal, nothing else matters & certainly won't work, ever.
  • The only thing to do here is to make brackets of equal level players. One with lvl 60 heroes shouldn't fight against lvl 140 ones, sounds just logical.
    Nothing else can work, never seen heavy weight against light weight in sport, if D3 thinks they're better at making "new gen" brackets type than any other old & professional organizations, they're all wrong.

Make the fight fair & equal, nothing else matters & certainly won't work, ever.
    And if I level my oBW from L6 to L30 after entering bracket with L6 teams? That would so great, easiest top 5 ever.