Why can I have multiple copies of a card?

Options
DrDoMe
DrDoMe Posts: 97 Match Maker
I love that you simplified the decks into ten unique cards, but then why can I even own more than one copy of anything? I suspect the answer is that you didn't want new packs to always guarantee all new cards, because it would then be trivial to collect every card, mythics included. So I guess what I'm saying is I hope you come up with something fun to do with dupes. Hearthstone's dust mechanic is a fine approach, but whatever you come up with, since there is zero value to keeping multiple copies (a fact I really appreciate!) I hope you roll out some sort of 'auto vend' process soon.

Comments

• madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DrDoMe wrote:
    I love that you simplified the decks into ten unique cards, but then why can I even own more than one copy of anything? I suspect the answer is that you didn't want new packs to always guarantee all new cards, because it would then be trivial to collect every card, mythics included. So I guess what I'm saying is I hope you come up with something fun to do with dupes. Hearthstone's dust mechanic is a fine approach, but whatever you come up with, since there is zero value to keeping multiple copies (a fact I really appreciate!) I hope you roll out some sort of 'auto vend' process soon.

My thought (and hope) is that they will shortly roll out a "vending" method in order to exchange those extra cards for Runes, value based on rarity. That would also be nice to if they opened up a store that allowed you to buy some individual cards for "x amount of runes" so you aren't just relegated to opening blind booster after blind booster in order to get that one card you want/need.
  • I was thinking this system: Common sold for 5 runes each buys for 10 runes each (in case there is a "rare" common you can't seem to get)
    Uncommon sold for 10 runes each buys for 50 runes
    Rares sold for 25 runes each buys for 300 runes
    Mythical sold for 50 runes each buys for 1000 runes

Does that seem fair?
  • No, I think that's a but unbalanced especially when you consider the price of buying packs and ratios for pulling these cards. It think a flat buy/sell ratio of 20 to 1 should be fair. Something like this feels a little better.

Type/Sell/Buy

Common/10/200
    Uncommon/25/500
    Rare/100/2,000
    Mythic/500/10,000

Actually, that feels right except for mythics. It might be worth scaling it so that 1 is worth 30-25,000 runes.

I know this seems like a lot but IMHO, Mythics should legitimately be rare. Otherwise, everyone wil farm, farm, farm til they can get the 1-2 they want for a specific killer deck and they can then easily acquire the commons/uncommons to support these cards.

Also, if thw prices for commons/uncommons is to cheap, completing the set will be way to easy. Some of us enjoy feeling like we have to work to complete sets. We want it to feel doable, yet challenging. Collecting all commons through rune farming should at least take a week for a newb. Uncommons should take a month and working on a complete set of rares (or even mythics) should be of epic difficulty.

Of course, high-rollers can do it if they want to drop around $3-500 and spend a month farming for their holes.

Or through all of this out the window and offer a player to player trading system! That has my vote!
  • One thing they could do that would make extra cards useful would be stacking cards in your deck. Extra cards could allow you to fine tune your deck by boosting the odds of drawing a particular card. The stacked cards wouldn't count against your 10 deck slots. For example if you had a Jace deck and stacked one extra claustrophobia, the you have a 2 in 11 chance to draw it while the other cards drop to 1 in 11, where the normal odds to draw a card is 1 in 10. Limits on stacking could be easily regulated by tying it to PW level.