PVP...

Options
ghostride23
ghostride23 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Coming up of a year and this is my first time trying to play a full PVP event. Can't someone for the life of me explain the point system??? What's the purpose of losing points?? I get someone beats my team but why lose a random number of points?? It's like what I feel is this MPQ business model slogan to players, "Whatever you earn isn't really yours..." This kinda of stuff would turn anyone away and I don't understand why anyone would play it. I'll go back to grinding than spend 6 mins to earn 31 points just to be alerted I lost 51 then be matched up with teams that I know is suicide then a few mins later lose even more. And I'm sure other people I'm beating are getting the same frustration. What would be a better system? If this is a subject constantly being brought up sorry for beating this dead horse. This constant competitiveness is really redundant and the frustration is met with poor token pulls and the feeling being penalized for leveling up my characters I do have and a very rare chance to get higher characters I dont have.

Comments

• morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    PvP point scoring is based on the Elo system. People with a higher score than you are worth more points, and people with a lower score than you are worth less. Someone the same score as you is worth 38 points. Generally, you want to be attacking people who are worth at least 45 points, if not higher. If you hit anyone worth less than 38 points, you'll lose net points on the retaliation.

Here's a snippet from Will, one of the devs as to the formula:
    Q: Can you give us the complete algorithm for figuring out how many points you’ll lose or gain?
    A: The scoring system is based on the Elo rating system, but the formula for that is too complex to put here without mathematical notation. Check Wikipedia if you’re interested. But the algorithm goes something like this:
    Start with the points change given by the Elo rating system, with a k-value of 75.
    If the loser’s score is <=1000, multiply their loss by (their score / 1000).
    If the winner was the defender, divide their gain by 3.
    Round the result.

Q: Yeah, that’s too much math. How about some more examples?
    A: OK! Here you go:

A (500) attacks B (500): If A wins, A gains 38, B loses 19. If A loses, A loses 19, B gains 13.
    A (200) attacks B (500): If A wins, A gains 64, B loses 32. If A loses, A loses 2, B gains 4.
    A (500) attacks B (200): If A wins, A gains 11, B loses 2. If A loses, A loses 32, B gains 21.

There's also the concept of what's called your equilibrium or floating point. That's the highest score you can climb to before you start taking so many hits that you start losing net points. Generally, this is determined by the strength of your team. As a rough guide, with a max 3* team, boosted, you may be able to find your equilibrium point at 650-750 points. With a 4* team, you might be able to run up to 1000 points before reaching your equilibrium.

This is where shields become important. Once you figure out where your equilibrium point is, you need to shield to maintain your score. When you shield, over time, you get removed from everyone's attack queues, which means that when you break shields, you get a 5-10 minute window in which to play some matches (and gain points), before you need to shield again. This is called shield hopping. Shield hopping is the only way to get to points higher than your equilibrium point.