If you had a clean slate...

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
I have as close to a clean slate as I could have at the moment. I want to jumpstart a 3 star team and I have enough ISO (due to the valentine sale and the simulator event) to make some guys playable. I have enough HP saved to spec just about anyone, and the only cover I'm missing completely is Daredevil's red, because I frankly don't care enough for him to make it a point to get it.

I have a 115 Punisher (3/4/4) and a 100 Doctor Doom (5/5) that I leveled by grinding, but I don't necessarily have to build around them.

I am thinking to raise up Hulk (could potentially create any spec), don't know what else. Spidey and Magneto have the Nerf gun pointed at them, so, while they are both 60ish now, I am reluctant to invest prior to that.

So if you guys had enough resources to put any 3 star team in the hundreds, starting from scratch, what would you do?

Comments

• AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Hulk - 5/3/5
    GSBW - 5/3/5
    Punisher - ?/?/?

1. Hulk to generate greens

2. GSBW uses those greens, with one use of Sniper Rifle you should get the entire opposing team down to 30-40% (except maybe Hulk)

3. Punisher finishes them off with Retribution, for the low cost of 8 red AP
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    AdamMagus wrote:
    Hulk - 5/3/5
    GSBW - 5/3/5
    Punisher - ?/?/?

2. GSBW uses those greens, with one use of Sniper Rifle you should get the entire opposing team down to 30-40% (except maybe Hulk)

This teams pretty slow in that your opponents need to use abilities that actually do enough damage to trigger Hulk. Thor might be a better green battery just because he's a lot more reliable.

Looking at the current roster of characters, I think the only 2 characters that are versatile enough to invest in and be relevant a large majority of the time for the future are Hulk and Punisher. A high level Hulks is the best defensive scarecrow for PvP in the game, the downside being that he's largely useless on offense due to anger being hard to trigger and his abilities being generally mediocre. Punisher's abilities work well with any character in the game. Black is an uncommon color so he almost always is the only one covering it, his 5 green is a really solid source of steady damage, and his red is versatile enough that it can coexist with other people's reds, as it can be significantly better in various situations such as high level PvE events (hello simulator).

In terms of pure power level, I think the best offensive team in the game right now is probably Patch/Mags/Spidey. Patch makes strike tiles, and then you spam the hell out of Magneto's blue to get insane value off of them. Spidey's stun provides insurance and has heals for sustainability. Mags purple also randomly 1 shots characters as well.

Defensively, I think something like Hood/Punisher/Hulk would be really good. Hood is extremely annoying at stealing AP, and fuels all of punisher's abilities which are all low cost, and if they don't have stuns, Hulk is an extreme pain to down due to anger (spidey nerf will make this even better).
  • AdamMagus wrote:
    Hulk - 5/3/5
    GSBW - 5/3/5
    Punisher - ?/?/?

I really like GSBW (mine is currently 75 5/3/4, your spec is the one I was aiming for). It is extremely satisfying to chain the purple into green for massive multi-takedowns. I would just worry about the color overlap. I know it is not necessary to cover all colors, but sometimes I feel like it is nice to have every match be valuable beyond just doing damage. I guess it's just psychological, my hang up.

I really like the team, though. Color overlap aside, those three have great functional synergy.
  • Okay, went ahead and leveled Hulk, but I'm pretty uninspired by the Hulk/ Punisher combo on offense. A little boring to play, with a limited move set and color choice. Went up to 300 in the Blind Justice tourney with a borrowed Daredevil. Only one retaliation so far (a win, which is pretty funny). I'll check back in the morning to see how well they perform defensively. I'm assuming pretty well. I threw in a match right in the middle with GSBW in lieu of Punisher and that was definitely slow and Hulk doesn't cover her up as well as Punisher. Also one with Thor (85 3/5/5, I went from looking like an idiot to a genius overnight) and that was actually pretty nice.

Right now it looks like Hulk is the anti-tank guy. Throw him on for the last match of the night, but play until then with the heavy hitters.

Now that I think about it, I should have tried him with my Doom. Pumping out a thousand damage per turn in attack tiles while absorbing hits with Hulk might be okay.

At this point I could still level up more guys. I'm not convinced Hulk should be an A teamer. I would certainly have chosen Magneto and Spiderman, but we still don't know what is going to happen with them. The Loki/ Patch thing still strikes me as too inconsistent. Maybe I should wait on Psylocke. She seems to fill a Punisher like role, but in different colors. I guess IM 40 or Hood might be a decent combo.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dlaw008 wrote:
    Okay, went ahead and leveled Hulk, but I'm pretty uninspired by the Hulk/ Punisher combo on offense. A little boring to play, with a limited move set and color choice. Went up to 300 in the Blind Justice tourney with a borrowed Daredevil. Only one retaliation so far (a win, which is pretty funny). I'll check back in the morning to see how well they perform defensively. I'm assuming pretty well. I threw in a match right in the middle with GSBW in lieu of Punisher and that was definitely slow and Hulk doesn't cover her up as well as Punisher. Also one with Thor (85 3/5/5, I went from looking like an idiot to a genius overnight) and that was actually pretty nice.

Right now it looks like Hulk is the anti-tank guy. Throw him on for the last match of the night, but play until then with the heavy hitters.

Now that I think about it, I should have tried him with my Doom. Pumping out a thousand damage per turn in attack tiles while absorbing hits with Hulk might be okay.

At this point I could still level up more guys. I'm not convinced Hulk should be an A teamer. I would certainly have chosen Magneto and Spiderman, but we still don't know what is going to happen with them. The Loki/ Patch thing still strikes me as too inconsistent. Maybe I should wait on Psylocke. She seems to fill a Punisher like role, but in different colors. I guess IM 40 or Hood might be a decent combo.

Don't use Hulk on offense: I tend to do something like use Punisher/OBW/buffed hero on offense, and then switch to the Hulk team when I'm either at a high MMR or want to stop playing for the night.
  • Tried the Hulk/ Doom team. That actually works pretty well offensively and defensively, I think. For me both are in the early hundreds, so Doom's level cap isn't such an issue as most of the teams I face are not 141s. Doom can definitely pump out some damage, so the fight doesn't go too slow, the colors are complementary, so there's not too many dead matches, both have good health and can take a hit, and Hulk's red actually can be a useful finisher in this configuration. I got a couple of defensive wins out of the mix, I presume because that can be quite a bit of health to chew through before something nasty accidentally goes off. I kind of like it.

Hulk and anything, though, seems kind of health pack dependent. I think this is a major shortcoming of the game. It is impossible to make any kind of sustained push without a healer. I have OBW 85 5/5/3 (because I figured eventually she would get covered and her espionage would be useless anyway), so I can always fall back on her, but it just seems like the system forces us all into playing, and therefore facing, either OBW or Spiderman almost all the time. Team variety is kind of killed.

I put my spidery at 3/3/3 and leveled him to the soft cap, awaiting the nerfs. Funny how I've gone all this time without the obvious benefits of him, I guess I should have just used him all along instead of waiting.
  • I like a spidey/patch/Im40 team for grinding.
    When I am done for the night, I burn some health packs with patch/punisher/Hulk team.

With a clean slate I'd probably go patch/hood/Psycloke
    That's going to be a great team. You have to kill hood which leads to a dangerous dps with low skill cost.
  • Does Patch play well with Hulk? It seems like Anger would kill his tiles but leave the enemy tiles.

In the No Holds barred tourney I've been using Punished/ Hulk/ Magneto. It's a pretty solid team, both on offense and defense. Offensively, Hulk is virtually useless. I just try to put him in front of incoming heavy attacks by matching green or red when it's about to go off. On the other hand, Punished and Magneto can put out an astonishing amount of damage pretty quickly. Get a couple of sets of strike tiles out and spam Magneto's red for 2ap. I don't have enough blue covers to abuse that one also, but the red works pretty well. The purple can one-shot a lot of guys, and Punisher's black softens the team up. I can usually fight three or four battles before I need to use even one health pack, and I've gotten some defensive victories out of it.

I like Psylocke in the clean slate, but now that I've leveled Punished I don't think that they complement each other very well. Both fill a similar role and it seems like people will choose one or the other. At the moment Punished seems just slightly superior to me.

Black Panther, on the other hand, looks like he will complement Punished nicely. Can't wait to see how that works out.

Tinykitty tablet spellchecker!
  • 5 black hulk + patch=beast.

First it's easy to trigger anger.
    Any match of green+anger =1k are +1k direct damage.
    And it's easy to reapply beserk
  • Got it. You reapply the berserk when anger matches his strike tiles. Probably down people pretty quickly, but risk needing health packs. This is probably a great set up for the last couple hours of tournaments when you can fight three times quickly without needing to worry much about retaliation. My team (Punisher / Hulk / Magneto) really excels at grinding for stretches without needing a lot of Health packs, but suffers some at the end of Tourneys by being a little shield reliant. Maybe if I had a leveled Patch he would be a good sub for Punisher at the end of the tourney to speed up the process. Like a basketball team with a four man rotation.

That said, I'm starting to really get excited for Black Panther. I am thinking he will be another solid all-around character. Guess I'll have to save a bunch more ISO.
  • Patch/spidey/c mag=insane atm

With the low as costs of mag and the extra boost from a 5g patch. Matches don't last long.

If they didn't have a incoming nerf I'd level mag n spidey to 125+.
  • Patch/spidey/c mag=insane atm

With the low as costs of mag and the extra boost from a 5g patch. Matches don't last long.

If they didn't have a incoming nerf I'd level mag n spidey to 125+.

Yeah, I gathered that. I guess I should have leveled Spiderman more. I was more worried about his Nerf than Magneto's. I figured a damage dealer will always be a damage dealer, but a Nerf could hit a support character hard. My Spiderman is 70's I think with 3 blue. Not especially effective yet, but I was too scared to level him. I should have just done it to try to abuse him before the Nerf comes down.