Get rid of scaling. It's killing the game

2»

Comments

• Unknown
    edited February 2014
    The intent is OK. The execution is VEXING.

Unless you want to alienate the old players completely, you might at least try to not mess it up every single time.

There are a lot of "easy" fixes to this (like hard caps depending on the specific missions) but no, you keep trying to perfect the formulas the hard way and fail constantly. I can understand programmer's pride, but this is getting ridiculus and old.

Edit: in the new event I don't see the 230s yet. Please don't get my hopes too high icon_razz.gif
  • The only thing we have to get rid off here is this game.
    Sad but obviously they aren't able to balance their game, so be it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Il Palazzo wrote:

Unless you want to alienate the old players completely, you might at least try to not mess it up every single time.

There are a lot of "easy" fixes to this (like hard caps depending on the specific missions) but no, you keep trying to perfect the formulas the hard way and fail constantly. I can understand programmer's pride, but this is getting ridiculus and old.

Edit: in the new event I don't see the 230s yet. Please don't get my hopes too high icon_razz.gif

Okay, what are the "easy fixes" then? I don't mind people saying "You could fix this so damn easilly, but you won't!!" if they actually explain themselves, otherwise you're not helpful in the least.

I've seen a couple of very high level fights nearing the 230 mark, but that tends to be nearer the end of a sub events time. And they're quite rare.
    Currently I'm getting between 50-180 in general. Some terrify me more than others (ie, any Ares fight)
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Il Palazzo wrote:

Okay, what are the "easy fixes" then? I don't mind people saying "You could fix this so damn easilly, but you won't!!" if they actually explain themselves, otherwise you're not helpful in the least.

I've seen a couple of very high level fights nearing the 230 mark, but that tends to be nearer the end of a sub events time. And they're quite rare.
    Currently I'm getting between 50-180 in general. Some terrify me more than others (ie, any Ares fight)

He said it in his original comment: missions should have a hard cap on what levels the enemies can scale to. Making normal mode scale up to say 130 as a max level and keeping hard mode as is with the 230 scaling would go a long way towards not making the veterans have to constantly grind 3x 230 missions.
  • Or just get rid of the scaling all together until its been properly balanced. Like the OP said. It really is ****. My entire simulator was 230 and now this one has turned into the same thing! Even with 5 blue spidey its just so annoying and frustrating. Have to boost in with 3 blue and even then its a **** shoot based on the board. All the while teams of non maxed 1 star heros dominate the top 10 because they get the easiest matches. Get rid of this ****!
  • sms4002 wrote:
    Or just get rid of the scaling all together until its been properly balanced. Like the OP said. It really is ****. My entire simulator was 230 and now this one has turned into the same thing! Even with 5 blue spidey its just so annoying and frustrating. Have to boost in with 3 blue and even then its a **** shoot based on the board. All the while teams of non maxed 1 star heros dominate the top 10 because they get the easiest matches. Get rid of this ****!

Yep, I'm totally against scaling. To each his own. Let players play each mission as many times times they want, with enemy levels being constand, but calculated based on your 10 best characters, or something like that so everyone gets a challenge but can still get those points. After the mission is completed, it can be played again, but for 80% of the points, then for 60%, then 40%, then 20% and then you get nothing more than that. No "refreshed points" after a certain amount of time, no increase in enemy levels. The one who plays and wins the most, will win the most rewards. Nothing more fair than that.

Also, there should be no requirements for special characters on certain missions. Like now, I don't even have a Punisher (I had one once, but I never got any covers for him so I had to sell him because I got other important covers) so I can't complete the missions where he is needed. For some missions, you're provided with the necessary character but not for others. That's ****. I realized this is so some people will start buying hero packs but I really hate this idea. Let players buy such packs IF they want to do it, not because they HAVE to. icon_evil.gif
  • warcin
    warcin Posts: 118
    I agree scaling is in no ways fun and if a feature is not fun in a game it should be eliminated. They now have had 4 attempts at scaling and none of them have even been close to being fun or fair. PVE used to be the most fun I had in this game but that has all gone now, and the little I have been playing the events I feel like I am forcing myself to play, and if that continues I am not sure how long I will be staying around
  • Seems the idea is that if you win in the first quarter of the event you're not supposed to play further -- or meet only 230 mobs.

The idea definitely killing the game for me, third PVE I'm abandoning after 2 days.

The insult to the injury is that those are the events adding a new character that will be immediately needed a few days onward.
  • Ouroboros9999
    Ouroboros9999 Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I assume since this thread started over a year ago and nothing has been done that I shouldn't hold my breath?
  • I assume since this thread started over a year ago and nothing has been done that I shouldn't hold my breath?

Actually at least one element of the scaling "community scaling " has been scrapped since this thread was last active.

To be fair it has made things a lot better in PvE.

Still a long way to go through.
  • I agree it has to change the way the current pve. For me would be as follows:

Easy mode: Up to level 95. The rewards would be one token 2 * and the first two tokens receive 3 * token.

Normal mode: up to level 167. The rewards would be one token 3 * and the first two would receive a token 4 *.

Hard way: above level 167. The first ten receive a 4 * token and the first two would receive one token legendary.

The same thing would be for pvp. I did not think would still like pve in launching new characters.
  • Scaling absolutely screwed the game up for me as a "beneficiary" of it.

I was totally clueless about the background game balance mechanics, about 2 months into the game with a few 2-stars and a bunch of 1-stars and probably just a single 3-star. All well below 50 I think.

So the Iceman PVE event comes along and I happened to be able to play all but 1 of the required character matches. Had alot of time, and Iceman himself soaked up all the damage, so I could just keep playing without having to wait to heal (even when I did die, it was less than 30 minutes!). So, I finished in the top 10.

All excited and confused that I won, I wandered over to PVP and now all I see is 2-stars or better at level 94. I got bent over and dominated by this game.

It has been pretty much unplayable ever since. I dabbled for awhile, considered selling Iceman, but finally just said F this game and left with over 150 tokens that I can't open cause I can't get enough roster spots. I would have been willing to spend about $50 overall, but that would have gotten me almost nowhere.

I've never seen a game with these balance issues. I'm appalled that in order to progress in the game I would have to sell, or never open the "prizes" I won.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    You can leapfrog a single cover 4* with 2* characters in like a week or two, at which point Iceman shouldn't be a factor in your scaling.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    slowness wrote:
    Scaling absolutely screwed the game up for me as a "beneficiary" of it.

I was totally clueless about the background game balance mechanics, about 2 months into the game with a few 2-stars and a bunch of 1-stars and probably just a single 3-star. All well below 50 I think.

So the Iceman PVE event comes along and I happened to be able to play all but 1 of the required character matches. Had alot of time, and Iceman himself soaked up all the damage, so I could just keep playing without having to wait to heal (even when I did die, it was less than 30 minutes!). So, I finished in the top 10.

All excited and confused that I won, I wandered over to PVP and now all I see is 2-stars or better at level 94. I got bent over and dominated by this game.

It has been pretty much unplayable ever since. I dabbled for awhile, considered selling Iceman, but finally just said F this game and left with over 150 tokens that I can't open cause I can't get enough roster spots. I would have been willing to spend about $50 overall, but that would have gotten me almost nowhere.

I've never seen a game with these balance issues. I'm appalled that in order to progress in the game I would have to sell, or never open the "prizes" I won.

spend 20 bucks to be slots and you should be set. PVP shouldnt be played until you have a nice size stable what you get for playing in PVE. Wait till you get a 5 star and then you will see how much it screwed up your roaster. You say sell it good luck pulling another 5 star