You are meant to lose

IlDuderino
IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Three times in the last few days I have lined up BIG point matches in PvP against identical teams to those that I have beaten for say 30 - 40 points multiple times on my climb. In the big point match things don't quite go my way. The cascades fall just right for the AI to unleash combos just before me, combos which I comfortably beat the AI to in the lower point matches.

Am I paranoid? Or do things just happen to go bad when the points are big? Call me a cynic but the latter is happening a bit too much lately.

Comments

• san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    You're not paranoid, at least not by the definition, but you certainly present with overvalued ideas in that regard icon_e_smile.gif.

It's random, and you are experiencing confirmation bias.

Happy holidays! icon_e_smile.gif
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Haha, probably true - I lost and am grumpy
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are days where I open PVP, play 3 simple (supposedly) matches against the AI and wipe so horribly bad 3 times in a row... waste health packs in between trying again... and I close the game and do something else for the next few hours.

Those are the days I really dislike the AI and feel like I was not going to win no matter what matches I made.

Sometimes when i boost for too many fights, the AI seems to get better as a punishment for me boosting too many times.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor PvP certainly had me fairly frustrated. I wiped in that event more than I ever had.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's actually better that you lose the big point matches than the small point matches. You only lose a little vs losing a lot.
  • It's funny your mentioning this because when I was mid to semi deep into 3 star land this happened to me all the time at the most crucial moments and I was gonna post about it but decided not to. At that time I would try for 800 and my big matches for big points to get me past that would be horrific. I would use boosts and everything but the cascades were so horrendous I would be dead in a few turns and didn't stand a chance. Same thing would happen to me at my pinnacle point in sim. It's a conspiracy!!
  • JVReal wrote:
    There are days where I open PVP, play 3 simple (supposedly) matches against the AI and wipe so horribly bad 3 times in a row... waste health packs in between trying again... and I close the game and do something else for the next few hours.

Those are the days I really dislike the AI and feel like I was not going to win no matter what matches I made.

Sometimes when i boost for too many fights, the AI seems to get better as a punishment for me boosting too many times.

Me the same thing happens.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    PVE, not PVP, but I just ripped through a 3x194 node without taking really any damage and my punishment was getting flayed by a 3x55 node in the very next fight (the last one that opens in the final Hulk sub).

I mean, I won, but I took probably 10x as much damage against the 55's as against the 194's.

****'s weird sometimes.
  • DalekGAF
    DalekGAF Posts: 52 Match Maker
    This happens to me anytime I have between 900-999 points. The game refuses to let me hit 1000 points in PVP.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    IlDuderino wrote:
    Three times in the last few days I have lined up BIG point matches in PvP against identical teams to those that I have beaten for say 30 - 40 points multiple times on my climb. In the big point match things don't quite go my way. The cascades fall just right for the AI to unleash combos just before me, combos which I comfortably beat the AI to in the lower point matches.

Am I paranoid? Or do things just happen to go bad when the points are big? Call me a cynic but the latter is happening a bit too much lately.

I don't think there's any conspiracy, but I do seem to run into it slightly more often than I'd expect when I go after weak teams with decent points. I think of it as an anti-bullying message, but in reality I'm probably just noticing it more because it's not what "should" happen.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    One day last week I had the worst day ever on MPQ, my A-team wiped on Hulk PVE easy sub due to massive ai cascades on turn 1. Then I went to PVP and had the same thing happen there. No big deal right? I'll just do the super easy always trusty DDQ for my 3* cover and the first goon node wiped me 4 times, 27 health packs later I just gave up and won nothing.

There are some days were it's just not meant to be
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Cascades happen, its all random. However the game IS designed for you to lose. Only the top 4-10% are meant to really "win". That means every time something happens, 9 people will lose. That's what keeps it competitive however and drives people.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best is when you actually get a huge cascade but somehow once your turn is over, it lines up the AI to get a nice 4 or 5-match of their needed color for huge damage. It almost defeats the great cascade I just got. I'm lucky if I can match anything but a T/U after AI's big cascade.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    When you're 1 match away from killing CMags, and he gets a match 5 in Blue from a cascade and he just beats the **** out of you and drops his protect tiles, and makes a red match so he can do his third move on his next turn since you will only hit him for 1 point damage when he's only got 83 health left...
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:
    PVE, not PVP, but I just ripped through a 3x194 node without taking really any damage and my punishment was getting flayed by a 3x55 node in the very next fight (the last one that opens in the final Hulk sub).

I mean, I won, but I took probably 10x as much damage against the 55's as against the 194's.

tinykitty's weird sometimes.
    FYI that top node on the last sub was fairly easy to come out clean. had to deny 2 colors, purple and black and somewhat limit their green. the bonus node at the end was a much better team compo, even at the lower level. sometimes the game decides you need to spend a health pack or 2.