Hoarding [Why do you Hoard tokens?]

Handoftheking26
Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
edited December 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
So I don't understand, but I want to. Why do people hoard tokens? Unless it's waiting for a certain char to be added to the list (like Ice and Rulk) then why do it? I tried with vault tokens and it saved the whole freaking vault, it wasn't like I got to draw all my hoarded tokens from the same vault....so plz explain..ty

Mod Edit: Clarified Thread Title

Comments

• For taco vaults you have to wait for it to be that week again. If you have savory tokens you have to wait another week for it to be the savory vault again. Using them on opposite weeks just resets the vault every time.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have all but a small handful of the characters fully covered, then the chances of pulling the few you don't have is very small. The longer you wait, the more new characters will be in the mix, increasing your odds of pulling something useful.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally I'm saving them up right now for a few reasons:

A) I don't have enough ISO to appreciably level up the characters I already have, much less starting new ones from scratch. Hell, a few of my 3*'s aren't even up to 100 yet.

B) I got a 1/2/1 Ghost Rider from his intro event and I'd like a chance at more covers for him so that he might at least have a niche function - also the Probably-a-New-Spiderman character whose abilities were recently posted. (Chulk doesn't particularly tickle my fancy, but if I happen to get a few of his covers that's cool too)

C) Opening a single token and getting one I don't need is such a massive letdown for me. If I open a whole slew at once I'm much more likely to get a few I actually need and get that little shot of dopamine. I'm aware that I don't improve my odds of any one specific cover - in fact I lower them, since the odds get worse for a specific character as more are released - but it's the avoidance of all the individual "What's it gonna be what's it gon- oh, another XFW yellow" events that I'm after.

I'm mainly talking 4* and 5* covers here, as there are maybe two or three total 3* covers I still need to get everyone optimally built in that tier, but this could mostly apply to lower tiers as well. One last thing: when you need ISO, hitting Sell All on 50+ covers feels pretty great.
  • ShadowX1984
    ShadowX1984 Posts: 59
    edited December 2015
    Every token hoarder has their own reasons, but the most popular I've seen are:

1) Taking multiple pulls from a vault does indeed change your odds of getting something left in the vault. Using 300 Taco tokens at once guarantees you'll get the 4* covers that are in there (but only if- as someone said above- you're in the active vault for the current DDQ).

2) Some people don't open tokens with a chance of getting a new character until they're ready to deal with that character. For example, if your roster is full and you don't have the HP to buy a new character slot, don't risk opening a token and having to deal with that situation. Similarly, if you have a 2* or early 3* roster and you don't want Silver Surfer or Old Man Logan to mess up your PVP and PVE scaling, you might want to hoard your Legendary Tokens until you're ready to add a 5* to your team.

3) Some people hoard DDQ tokens until they need health packs because it feels like a waste to have more than 10 health packs at a time.

4) A lot of people have traditions or superstitions about the best way to get the RNG to play in their favor. Only open tokens on the full moon. Never open event tokens while the event is active. Let them "age" and they'll be better vintage. I've people espouse all these and more as token-opening philosophies. There was a thread about it once, but I'm too lazy to go find it. Other people like to open them all at the end of the season and compile stats about the result.

I'm sure there are more but those are the ones that jump to mind right now....
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    A current popular reason is that there may be a use for duplicate covers soon, i.e. selling 3* and 4* covers for CP or maybe some as of yet unannounced uses.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I stockpile so I can see upcoming rewards before they are announced, for instance, Thick as Thieves and Venom: Heroic art has updated. Venom shows what will be rewarded in TaT
    icon_starlord.png
    icon_falcon.png
    icon_wolverine.png
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    There's a few reasons :

1) As you said, no need for current characters, so waiting for new ones to enter.

2) Hoarding DDQ tokens as a reserve for health packs when things don't quite go your way in a big PvP climb or PvE grind.

3) Hoarding DDQ tokens to increase your chances of getting a wanted 4* from the vault. (Note, you need to wait for the vault to be active or you will have just wasted the purpose of hoarding them)

4) You believe something is going to change in the game to change the value of your tokens. We've already seen this several times in the history of the game. Most recently Legendary tokens went from having a 5% chance at a 5* to 10% chance with the addition of OML. Before that the odds of getting a 4* from heroic/event tokens was increased by something like 50%. If you were hoarding tokens in these cases, your expected value (in terms of 4* opened) was increased just by hanging onto them.

5) Last reason I can think of is you are early in the game and are low/out of HP and don't want to purchase more. In this scenario opening a character you don't have rostered yet could be a pretty big "feel bad" moment, so you might hoard your tokens until you can earn enough HP to open that new slot.

As a bit of a P.S. if you've been hearing people say you should hoard your tokens right now, it's likely because of reason 4, and IceIX hinting at a new feature coming which might utilize extra covers. You can't take advantage of this feature without covers in reserve, so people are hoarding tokens until the feature is announced.

edit: had to make dinner and etc. forgot to post this, whatever, posting it now anyway
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been hoarding for almost a year now, I think. Every season, I save almost everything. The reason is simple: I get a kick out of opening them all at once.

The only exceptions are tacos, because those are for health packs, and legendaries because I need most of what comes out of them. I have started holding onto them since the quasi-announcement regarding over-covering characters. We'll see what the turns out to be, I suppose.
  • i "hoard" standard recruit tokens, because I am too lazy to open and sell them all individually.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    My current hoard:

1,170 standard
    2 heroic
    4 legend
    12 hulk
    2 lord of thunder
    160 savory
    170 sweet

I get the bulk of my std tokens from pve grinds, and never really bothered to open unless I need iso. Since standards offer only star.png , star.pngstar.png , star.pngstar.pngstar.png , and I have them max covered, I don't really need any cover from this token.

I'm holding tacos until I can clear the vault.

the hulks, lots I'm saving til next season. I'm waiting to see if D3 will offer cps if I sell covers. Holding 14 star.pngstar.pngstar.png s, star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s right now.
  • puppychow wrote:
    My current hoard:

1,170 standard
    2 heroic
    4 legend
    12 hulk
    2 lord of thunder
    160 savory
    170 sweet

I get the bulk of my std tokens from pve grinds, and never really bothered to open unless I need iso. Since standards offer only star.png , star.pngstar.png , star.pngstar.pngstar.png , and I have them max covered, I don't really need any cover from this token.

I'm holding tacos until I can clear the vault.

the hulks, lots I'm saving til next season. I'm waiting to see if D3 will offer cps if I sell covers. Holding 14 star.pngstar.pngstar.png s, star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s right now.

Standards still offer 4-stars, it's just the chance is so ridiculously low, they don't advertise it anymore.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally don't hoard non-taco tokens but I am now due to the possible new feature coming up. have opened my last few LTs and didn't get any dupes but I think I'll be saving those now maybe. tacos are used for health packs usually only during release pve grinds (hulk has be especially bad). I saved LTs initially to wait until OML was added and the 5*s were bumped to 10%. in my 3* transition I hoarded tacos and targeted character groups that I wanted higher chances at. only been a few days and I'm up to:

46 std
    12 heroic
    4 hulk
    2 LR tokens (try to position for the heroics instead - don't know why, but that's what I do)
    2 thor pvp
    22 savory
    28 sweet

the 3 LTs opened this week gave Elektra black, kp purple, and starlord yellow. starlord is specc'ed 'optimally' if there is such a thing and the other 2 hit 13 with those covers, so LTs are getting saved from here on out. I can tell my iso production has dropped now that I'm hoarding. need 4 more levels on jean and I'm satisfied for a while.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bragging about how many std's you have ......... icon_e_biggrin.gif

I am hoarding right now.. nothing i want, waiting on GR to be available in tokens.
  • Tenaciousdecaf
    Tenaciousdecaf Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Midnight Voodoo! When I was transitioning from 2-3*, a few alliance-mates and I would save my tokens until the end of the day and open them at midnight. 60% of the time, it worked every time.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    just started hoarding after reading that a possible new feature to use excess covers may be introduced. Also stopped selling earned covers immediately. Surprised how quickly they accrue.

I accrued about 160 covers in 2 weeks, then when the last ones get a few hours before expiration, I sell the whole lot of them. Nice little spurt of iso.

I'm normally not a token hoarder and it took me a while to get into the hoarding mode... but after about 3 days of not opening them... the urge subsided... withdrawals were over. Once they go 99+ you hardly notice you've earned them.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2015
    JVReal wrote:
    just started hoarding after reading that a possible new feature to use excess covers may be introduced.
    could the new feature hit soon enough for your earned covers? been selling them off because I figured this could be what they said would likely hit in January. if it could be sooner, I guess i'll stop selling things off too.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    just started hoarding after reading that a possible new feature to use excess covers may be introduced.
    could the new feature hit soon enough for your earned covers? been selling them off because I figured this could be what they said would like hit in January. if it could be sooner, I guess i'll stop selling things off too.

Can you direct me to where these rumors are percolating? I've been hearing them thirdhand for a week or so now and I'd like to follow the discussion.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    So I don't understand, but I want to. Why do people hoard tokens? Unless it's waiting for a certain char to be added to the list (like Ice and Rulk) then why do it? I tried with vault tokens and it saved the whole freaking vault, it wasn't like I got to draw all my hoarded tokens from the same vault....so plz explain..ty

Mod Edit: Clarified Thread Title

only reason i hoard now is hoping a craft system is coming
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    JVReal wrote:
    could the new feature hit soon enough for your earned covers? been selling them off because I figured this could be what they said would like hit in January. if it could be sooner, I guess i'll stop selling things off too.

Can you direct me to where these rumors are percolating? I've been hearing them thirdhand for a week or so now and I'd like to follow the discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35659&p=446781#p446781
    Start there and scroll down for followup posts.